August 30, 2014

Jimmy Smits joins Dexter

by Allison Waldman, posted Jun 5th 2008 6:23PM
smitsCane may be gone from the landscape of fictional South Florida, but the actor who starred in that CBS drama seems bound to remain in the Miami area. Emmy-winner Jimmy Smits will be joining the cast of Showtime's Dexter in the new season.

Dexter, which stars Michael C. Hall as a serial killer who murders those he feels deserve to die and remains under the radar thanks to his job as a blood-splatter expert in the Miami Police department, was a breakout hit for Showtime. CBS aired slightly-altered episodes of the twisted crime drama earlier this year, in part of fill the schedule holes created by the writers' strike -- and, ironically, the failure of shows like Cane.

Now, Smits gets to play on a winning team. On Dexter, his character harkens back to his tenure on NYPD Blue in that he's a law man. He will be in ten of the 12 shows in the third season. He won't be playing a cop this time, but an "ambitious, charismatic assistant district attorney" named Miguel Prado,.He's also part of a powerful political family which is well-loved in the state of Florida. Dexter will reportedly come into close contact with Prado, helping him in his law and order crackdown. Of course, Dexter will have to make sure that Prado doesn't find out about his nefarious moonlighting.

Hmm, you think they might cross paths with any of the other crime stoppers in Miami? There's Horatio Cane on CSI: Miami, and Burn Notice's Michael Westen. Maybe they could all show up at a Miami Dolphin game and Jason Taylor could show off some of his Dancing with the Stars moves? That's assuming JT actually plays next season.

Frances Wylie

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for picking a really cute young man to play Dexter. It is really a well put together bunch of ideas I wish we could do it again. I can`t wait for the next session and am so glad you are even doing it. ( What a way to vent, lol) Nice irony too. I do wish we had kept in touch. FBVW

June 28 2008 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Forget Dexter... Smits should be back on Cane, which CBS should have renewed for a 2nd season. I'm going to start petitioning CBS by sending thousands of sugar packets with "Bring back Cane!" written on the back. Who's with me?

June 06 2008 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Mary

Can someone please tell me why Cane was cancelled? I thought it was the best show since the Sopranos?? What gives?

July 07 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tara

Is CBS going to be showing the second season of Dexter?? Man i hope so, i really like that show...

June 05 2008 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

Should be a good fit. I made an attempt at watching Cane but I wasn't Able. :-)

June 05 2008 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Awesome!

June 05 2008 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Truly inspired casting. I love it. And I'm liking the set-up for next season. I don't think we're going to see a dip in quality.

I actually kinda liked Cane, but I completely understand why it didn't make it.

June 05 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

JT has to play because the Big Tuna gutted out the rest of the team. Unless he is traded. But during the draft is the best time to make a trade and that has done past. Who knows? Oh yeah, this is a tv site. Sorry. I'm still pissed they killed off Doakes. SURPRISE MOFO!

June 05 2008 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply