April 24, 2014

Lost season four letdowns

by Erin Martell, posted Jun 5th 2008 9:04AM
Sam Anderson, Daniel Dae Kim, and Matthew FoxThis season of Lost was my second favorite season ever, so it was difficult to come up with criticisms. A shortened season meant that there wasn't room for a weak episode. Nikki, Paulo, and Bai Ling stayed away. A few things are bothering me now that this chapter is finished, though. Some characters got a raw deal, and some twists failed to shock. It wasn't all time travel and brilliant action scenes.

Jack's appendicitis - Apart from bringing Jack and Kate closer together, I don't understand why this storyline was necessary. The flash-forwards ensured that Jack would survive his low-tech surgery, so there wasn't any tension there. It seemed like the only point of Jack's illness was to completely kill the Juliet-Jack relationship. Jack and Juliet's chemistry never worked for me. They shared two forgettable kisses, and then Jack basically blew her off after she saved his life. Still, Juliet deserved a better break-up, from both Jack and the writers.

Farewell, Rousseau - I had big hopes for Danielle Rousseau. She had been a mysterious figure on the island since the first season, and she's one of the few island characters that hasn't had (or appeared in) a flashback. I always assumed that the payoff of Rousseau's character would come later--some bizarre island secret or revealing detail about the Others. Imagine my surprise when Danielle was killed, along with that annoying Karl, in a brief scene at the end of "Meet Kevin Johnson," an episode that primarily focused on Michael's storyline. They didn't even give Rousseau the proper Lost send-off of a flashback followed by death. Less intriguing characters like Ana Lucia and Shannon had better exit episodes, for crying out loud!

Fewer episodes - This isn't the fault of anyone connected to Lost, but the diminished season had a noticeable impact on the show. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse admitted that they wanted to do an additional freighter folk-centric episode, but had to put those storylines off until next season. I would have liked to learn more about the freighter folks, especially since some of them are stuck on the island with the 815ers. Daniel is the only familiar face on the Zodiac raft (now adrift without the island or the freighter as a destination), and I hardly know anything about him. A little extra time with the freighties would have given me more reasons to care about them. The season's timeline also changed as a result of the missing episodes, and the finale was overflowing with plotlines. I love that Lindelof and Cuse fought to make the finale an hour longer, but I was mentally and emotionally drained after so many deaths, touching moments, and shocking scenes in one sitting.

What happened to the Others? - The Others took a back seat to the freighter drama in the first part of the season. Nestor Carbonell was away doing the now-canceled Cane, so we didn't see Richard Alpert until "Cabin Fever." I expected the Others to have a bigger presence after the first freighter group parachuted onto the island. These people were a major threat to their way of life, after all. They made up for their absence by doing away with the mercenaries, but why couldn't they have wiped them out sooner? Juliet had a weaker role in the island goings-on as well. "The Other Woman" was supposed to be a Juliet-centric episode, but served to make Ben's character more complex instead. You had to keep your eye on Juliet last season, because you never knew which side she was on. Now she's in the same boat as the other 815ers who simply want to be rescued. Will she become even less significant over the next two seasons?

Aaron is one of the Oceanic Six - I lost interest in Aaron a while ago. Nothing against Turniphead, but he was probably the last of the survivors that I wanted to see back on the mainland. He hasn't turned out to be special in the way that Season One led us to believe. I'm among the fans who took Malkin's warning seriously. Why weren't there consequences for Aaron being raised by another? Aaron's presence in Kate's flashback also caused some unnecessary confusion about the identities of the Oceanic Six. The tease in "Ji Yeon" was heartbreaking; for a moment I believed that Jin was safe. On the bright side, non-815ers like Desmond, Frank Lapidus, and Ben made it off the island. We might even get a glimpse of Locke (aka Jeremy Bentham) on the mainland in the future.

The "surprise" return of Michael - We all saw this twist coming, right? Ben dropped hints about his spy on the freighter several times, and most fans knew that Harold Perrineau was returning to Lost in some capacity. Lack of surprise aside, Michael's season four appearances weren't all that exciting. He told Sayid that he was there to die, and stayed true to his word in the finale. I understand Perrineau's frustration about being killed off so quickly. Michael's guilt over murdering Libby and Ana Lucia drove him to attempt suicide several times, and his moment of redemption was far too brief. When Christian Shephard dismissed him, Michael looked more confused than at peace. At least he didn't yell "Waaaaaalt!" before he died.

Check back soon for my Lost highlights post. For now, feel free to share some of your thoughts on how this season could have been better.

merriemae

Wasn't convinced by Claire wondering off into the forest and leaving the baby she was so determined to defend, no explination, no tension.... other than that, absolutely loved it, your right about new characters needing to be developed but I have faith they know what they are doing and will do. RIP Rousseau, you kicked ass

June 16 2008 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent

Why i may not like season 5 and 6 :

Lost is a anti-gender-egalitarian / pro-feminist tv show where women leads get stronger over time and men are portrayed as delinquent, having drug problems, manipulators / evil, or assassins. Only Aaron kept his innocence but watch out when he begins to walk !

Mother-loving father-hating man of faith won over man of science. The complete opposite of what is happening in real life at this moment. And lost favored locke by not showing how he must have organized the religious cult/sect within the barracks.

I had a bad feeling about where the show was going when two producers told in their podcast that they are pro space time continuum but anti paradox.
Fate has always served to justify illogical behavior or upper-class financial oppression in old europe...

Pro-feminism and religious sect: irrationality won, rationality lost.

June 12 2008 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rusty Viewer

IMO Michael hasn't died. He was teleported away with Jack's father just as the freighter exploded. I think Perrineau has been told to act as if he is disappointed at being killed off to put us off the scent.

We only have Juliet's word that Jack had Appendicitis. Maybe he got poisoned by Juliet so she had an excuse to operate on him. Didn't Juliet do something like this once before? Remember how she insisted on removing everyone from the room (or tent), claiming they were too emotional or somesuch (whcih struck me as a little odd at the time) before the "operation". Maybe she actually put something INSIDE him at that point. A tracking device or bug? I don't know, but SOMETHING that we may not know about until season 5 or 6.

June 06 2008 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

No return to Big Four-Toed Statue Foot!

June 05 2008 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

So if they all have to go back together, does that include WAAAAAALLLLLLLLT?

June 05 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mefoster8

Wouldn't worry too much about Aaron coming back. I'm sure he'll be a main character in the next two seasons. Seeing what happened to Walt, next season Aaron will be about 18 and 6'2" and leading the charge back to the island. Then Kate can be the one yelling...AAAAaaaron!

June 05 2008 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkdealer

Does anyone have any ideas about why Jack's father is suddenly appearing so much? He didn't even die on the island, although perhaps the fact that he arrived as a corpse is significant. And is Claire dead, since she's been appearing with him? I also hope that Jin is not dead. They made sure that we knew that Sawyer survived! Looking forward to next season.

June 05 2008 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

But is Michael really dead?

Jacks Dad says "Michael... you can go now".. Is it because his life is over and he can now go to the great white light? :) Or does he magically make Michael disappear from the boat?

Maybe he reappears on the island... because remember... Ben tells Jack "The Island want ALL of you back". He's referring to Locke, but couldn't that also apply to ALL people? Including those that we *think* died in the tanker explosion?

Now pardon me while I go adjust the tin-foil hat. ;)

June 05 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
rebecca

All the interviews Harold Perrineau has been giving about his disappointment with how his storyline ended sure make it seem like he's dead.

June 05 2008 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I don't think you should make any judgment about the Aaron story just yet. When Claire appeared to Kate in her dream and said, "Don't you dare bring him back," seemed pretty significant...and you know Jack will convince them all to go back and Aaron's destiny will be revealed. I was disappointed with Rousseau's death too - big fan or Mira Furlan! I'm hoping that it's significant that she didn't have any flashbacks and that perhaps she will somehow return. One can always hope, right? Jack's dad seems to get around prety well for a supposedly dead guy, so why not Rousseau??

June 05 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lucyfan62's comment
mrbooze

But we don't really know which "him" Claire was talking about when she told Kate not to bring him back. It's entirely possible she really meant Locke. Or Ben. Or even Jack. Or who knows.

Aaron is an obvious choice, of course. But I assumed it was left intentionally vague.

June 05 2008 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ArcLight

My biggest disappointment regarding the freighter folks was seeing Zoe Bell's name in the credits for several episodes but only hearing her voice. When they finally show her on the ship, she wraps herself in chains and jumps overboard a minute later!! What a waste.

June 05 2008 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply