October 2, 2014

Retro Squad returns, new and improved

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jun 6th 2008 10:01AM
retro squad logoThe "big" shows are over, and now the typically low-key summer TV schedule begins. Oh sure, there are some real gems in there that are still airing or will start soon, but overall the excitement is nothing like the September-through-May period. Maybe people are ... gasp ... going outside to enjoy the sun?

It's been two years since we first delved into the world of Retro Squad, so we're back now with what we believe is a better format. Rather than pick a few shows and only review one season from each throughout the summer, we're doing theme/show weeks. These weeks will not only have standout episode reviews from any past season, but we'll have themed lists, Vs., interviews and videos. There are only so many weeks in the summer, so we can't cover all of your favorites, but I think there's something for just about everyone here. Check out the schedule below, after the jump.

June 8 - June 14: Arrested Development Week

June 15 - June 21: Super Friends Week

June 22 - June 28: Buffy / Angel Week

June 29 - July 5: Six Feet Under Week

July 6 - July 12: All things Cheers Week

July 13 - July 19: Original Star Trek Week

July 20 - July 26: X-Files Week

July 27 - August 2: Mary Tyler Moore / Dick Van Dyke Week

August 3 - August 9: Twilight Zone / Outer Limits Week

August 10 - August 16: British TV Week

August 17 - August 23: Private Eye Week

SpaceVenus

Is it just me or does nobody care about "Cheers"? The show ended so many years ago... Why is it relevant?

June 08 2008 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

What a surprise - Arrested Development AGAIN. What more can you people possibly say about this show again?? Enough already. Seriously.

June 06 2008 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

That Retro Squad is coming back is the best news of the day!

June 06 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

FYI - I'm in the "you can never have enough Buffy" group. :)

But a suggestion for next year would be theme weeks with each day a different show... themes like Prime Time Soap Operas, Teenage Shows, SciFi, Serials.... etc. I would love to see shows like Dallas, Knots Landing, Melrose Place under Soaps.... BH90210, Buffy, Wonder Years under Teenage.... XFiles, Battlestar, etc. under SciFi.... Murder One (first season was fantastic!), Lost, Twin Peaks under Serials.... I liked the Guilty Pleasures suggestion too

Other topics could be....One year wonder shows.... So Called Life would fit in there. Best Spin Off Shows... Maude, Fraiser, Angel, etc. War Shows.... China Beach, Mash, etc. Shows that became Headlines or were Ground Breaking... Murphy Brown, Dallas, Maude, etc.

You can even do polls to see which shows for each category should be covered with a write in category winner for the last day or something like that. It's fun to revisit old classics but this could make a good twist and bring out some classics that we've forgotten about. I know it would have to be shows available on DVD or something so you can refresh your memory. (I still need to get 'Family' on DVD.)

There are many themes that run through television and are revisited in new formats all the time. It would be interesting to have fun with that during the summer months.

Anyway, just a thought for future Retro TV features.

June 06 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Cook is my Idol!

How about a "Guilty Pleasure Shows" week? I know we all have the shows we love to watch, even if we don't like to admit it to other people.

One of my biggest guilty pleasures is Wings. I know it was more popular to bash it, but secretly, I love watching it in reruns. It makes me laugh and feel good inside.

June 06 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to David Cook is my Idol!'s comment
Gudlyf

Wings will have a place during All-things-Cheers week.

June 06 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I really hope you can get your too-infrequent contributor Wil Wheaton to contribute some articles during Star Trek: TOS week, and maybe even Twilight Zone/Outer Limits week. I know he was only in TNG, but he's a huge SF geek and I'd love to hear his take on issues related to those shows in particular.

Looks like a great lineup! The only two that don't excite me much are "Superfriends" and "X-Files".

June 06 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I didn't think anyone else would suggest Wiseguy, then Trish makes it happen. Seriously, consider this a second vote to add it to the schedule. Especially since Fox just bumped its fall premieres back to Sept. 1 (http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/06/05/here-are-the-premiere-dates-for-all-the-fox-shows/) why not extend the Retro Squad fun another week?

If you guys decide to give it a look, go for the Sonny Steelgrave arc. Best one of the show (that I've seen), though the Mel Profitt featuring Kevin Spacey was also really good. I was truly shocked to be seeing such complex storytelling coming out of a 1980s "cop show" when I first checked it out. I suppose it could be a prototype (albeit more realistic) for what we later saw in the early seasons of Alias. Something different to put in the queue for future Retro Squads.

June 06 2008 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

AD is still miles ahead of anything on TV at the moment. Can't wait for your coverage!

Bring it back etc! And please bring us some confirmation on the movie!

June 06 2008 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I got into Arrested Development, Buffy and Angel after they aired, but I love them now. AD is one of the funniest shows ever.

June 06 2008 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

Oh, it figures!!! Wiseguy is ALWAYS forgotten. Can we please skip Buffy and the X-Files? They've had way too much attention...

June 06 2008 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Trish's comment
Joey Geraci

Not possible for Buffy to have too much attention. It is one of those physical laws like gravity and relativity. Look it up! :)

June 06 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply