August 30, 2014

The Nuttiest Fans Award: Winner - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Jun 6th 2008 11:59PM
Alex O'LoughlinLadies and gentlemen and vampires, the winner of the TV Squad Nuttiest Fans Award 2008 is... Moonlight!

Punches were thrown, names were called, hearts were broken, but the TV Squad team has made its decision. Not only did Moonlight win the Readers Choice, but we decided that the fans of the show are the most scarily hardcore out of the five nominees.

This was a tough decision, with both the fans of Jericho and members of the Colbert Nation putting up a fair fight. All three groups have done considerable work for charity and have made their dedication well-known through various bizarre acts of fan-love. However, the overwhelming excitement for Moonlight has been compared to the likes of the the Beatlemania era. For a show that has lasted only one season, that's pretty darn impressive.

I experienced some of this manic fanaticism first-hand. As I have mentioned before, I attended the Moonlight panel at this year's New York Comic-Con. I spent the majority of the session in the secluded balcony seating, as I was genuinely a little freaked out by the shrieking horde below. Luckily, I had made it up there before the stars of the show, Alex O'Loughlin and Jason Dohring, appeared onstage. My eardrums would have burst otherwise, I swear. However, even that couldn't compare to the intensity of the crowd's reactions during the clips from the show itself. Words cannot describe the shrill, absolute glee that filled the room, especially when Shannyn Sossamon got a chair leg through the chest. It's stuff like this that drives the Moonlight fans crazy:

Fans have also teamed up with Red Cross in organizing dozens of blood drives across the country. Over 3,000 fans promised to donate a pint each in an effort to show their support for a possible Season Two. Even show star O'Loughlin joined in, serving as the official spokesman for the effort, as the drive followed him through various promotional appearances.

What is it about vampire-themed things that make fans extra nutty? Anne Rice's work has had incredible followings, the mediocre Twilight series has an unusually large fanbase and Sesame Street's Count has groupies lined up 'round the block. I guess ladies can't resist broody, pale men and their sharpened canines. If you need some convincing, check out some full episodes at CBS.com and reviews right here on TV Squad.
The It's A Paycheck Award
The Brought To You By TV Squad Award
The Arrested Development Award
The Put Me Out Of This Misery Award
The Good Riddance Award
The Reality Shows Have Writers!? Award
The Jeopardy Award
The What the *#@#%! Were They Thinking Award
The Adam Finley Award
The Nuttiest Fans Award
The Excellence in Outsourcing Award
The Most Real Unreal Award

Melissa

Moonlight was the only thing to watch on television. It's the first show to come on television that didn't actually suck in years! They have to bring it back!!! Vampire solidarity rah! rah! rah!

June 18 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheri

WE, MOONLIGHT FANS ARE NOT THE NUTTIEST FANS JUST THE MOST DETERMINED!!!

June 07 2008 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess

I agree with the article and other comments: I suppose I am 'nutty' but I'll take that as a compliment!
For sure, this 41-yr-old single working professional has never once, ever, been so affected by a show and its subsequent cancellation as to do anything - and here I am, right in the thick of it fighting to get Monlight back on the air for a Season 2 and more! I have contributed funds like fans worldwide to have 2 ads in Variety and Hollywood Reporter, plan on doing more mailings, and while I couldn't attend the convention in CA - I will be joining many others at the NYC Rally this June the 14th in Central Park!
If you want to see just how 'dedicated' we are - come see for yourselves! Visit www.moonlightline.com or www.moonlight-united.com for more info!

June 07 2008 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annimanley

I'm proud to be one of what Alex called the "craaaaaazy" Moonlight fans! And we still want that second season!

June 06 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy

Moonlight fans are the best fans in the world, if you ask me. Determined, loyal (fiercely so), kind, generous and loving are terms I would use to describe our fanbase.

This show has struck a chord so deep is us that we will do whatever it takes to get a second season and beyond.

Please come out to the Dallas, New York City, Detroit, Orlando, San Francisco, Washington (among others!) rallies if you want to see how passionate we are.

www.moonlight-united.com

Vampire solidarity, rah rah rah!!

June 06 2008 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skje9171

The show has just touched us deeply, the writers, the actors, every one involved with this show are phenomenal! it's been a long time since a quality program has graced the airwaves (i.e. reality t.v.is so over IMO).
The national and international rallies are coming up, so go to www.moonlightline.com if you want to see "the nutties fans" up close and personal! SAVE MOONLIGHT!

June 06 2008 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susie D

Us?
Nutty?

C'mon now - we're not nutty we're determined.....we just happen to be having a dang good time while we do it!

I invite all of you from Buddy TV to join us at anyone of our national rallies......it's a giant thrill ride that never ends!

June 06 2008 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mariah

Amen to everything you had to say (I was also at the Con - front row in the press section and my ears are still not the same).

Moonlight is my Beatles. And that's true for so many others.

The only thing that's not quite right about this entry is that we are *going* to get a second season. We just are. No room for ifs, it's when. Thanks for thinking of us and our insanity ;)

www.moonlight-united.com