October 31, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: The Hub - VIDEO

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jun 7th 2008 12:27AM
hub
(S04E09) I've been reading a lot lately from people who've become disappointed with this show the past few episodes or so. I've felt the same way. I'm happy to say, though, that while this episode didn't exactly make up for the lack of luster, it was certainly enjoyable.

Even without seeing the previews for this week (which, I admit, I can't even help but watch), we knew this episode would start with a flashback to what happened when Roslin and the occupants of the stolen Base Star jumped away. Right away we saw that a Cylon ship jumping has a strange effect on humans, though it's not clear if anyone other than Roslin had those brief visions.

When Roslin appeared in the desolate halls of the Galactica with Elosha, I noted right away that she had her real, non-wig hair. Again, I have to ask, how the heck do those makeup people hide that much hair behind another wig or a bald cap? Unreal. I smell another TV Squad award nomination!

It seems Elosha (Head Elosha?) is part of yet another force that's trying to push Roslin to do the "right thing." It makes me wonder sometimes what it is that's pushing Roslin so hard to be pigheaded about her decisions, to abuse the power granted to her. Remember when she was a meek thing who was shocked at being thrust into the position of President seasons ago?

Now, Helo. Y'know, I was beginning to really like Helo. Back when he was in command of the Demitrius, he held his own and did the job well. He was becoming one of my new favorite characters. Then he goes and throws that all away by somewhat blindly following Roslin's orders to bring D'Anna to her for a private meeting. Then he's ordered to be a door bouncer. I'm also surprised that Helo was fine with letting Roslin have that private meeting, when for all he knew Roslin was one of the final five. Look, I know she's the president and all, but Helo had more balls than that. What happened?

Speaking of D'Anna, I actually missed her. Jane Espenson wrote some great dialogue for her and especially Baltar. Baltar was back to the Baltar I like: somewhat comical, a bit scheming, and not getting all Jesusy on us. His interaction with the Hybrid and the Centurion were great, though I'm not quite sure what to make of the Centurion getting blown to bits yet. There's got to be something symbolic there.

There were two big revelations in this episode. The first was one not made to us but to Roslin, where Baltar confesses his involvement in the destruction of Caprica. I was first surprised at how Roslin stopped herself from simply pummeling Baltar to death, then surprised at how quickly she followed her visions and decided he should live after all. It will be interesting now to see what she does with this information.

The second revelation is that, if we're to believe what D'Anna says, Roslin is no way the final Cylon. It wasn't just what she said during their private meeting together, where she seemingly joked that Roslin was one of the final five. It was also when Helo told Sharon that he was taking D'Anna to Roslin, where D'Anna said, "Double-dealing. It's very human. You never got that, Eight." To me this was clear to say that Roslin is human, not Cylon. If we were thrown for a loop after this exchange and Roslin was really the final Cylon, there'd be some 'splaining to do.

Other things:

• The book Adama was reading to Roslin mentioned something about 'Scar' saving someone's life. Is that an actual passage out of that particular book or is it a strange part of her vision?
  • Is Cavil really permanently dead?
  • Is Hardball dead? Why the big deal about him jumping away as he was wounded? I guess if you wanted to talk about Cylon possibilities and all that, there's all sorts of things you could speculate. I'll just leave that for someone else. Didn't the fleet find Gonzo dead last week? (Nevermind -- thanks commenters for clarifying that Pike is Gonzo, and that was him in the Raptor. Makes much more sense) What about Sandman?
  • Why did Laura think D'Anna would say anything to her alone in the first place? Roslin's hardly a physically threatening person on her own.

Current fleet population: 39,673
(Assuming Sandman's not dead, since the number didn't go down like I thought last week, and also assuming Hardball's not dead. Unknown if anyone else bit it this week, so the number stays unchanged for now.)

Given what we heard in this episode, do you think Roslin could be the final Cylon?
No. I never thought she was.688 (72.1%)
I used to think so, but not anymore.127 (13.3%)
Yes. I think it's still possible.117 (12.3%)
Yes. She's definitely the final Cylon.22 (2.3%)

Tom

I know everybody probably saw this months ago, but I just happened upon it and thought it was pretty darn hilarious:

You know what I'd like to see? A day in the life of a Cylon Centurion. You could make it like a cross between a regular cylon and "Bender" from Futurama. In the spirit of the Lone Gunmen X-Files episodes, I think BSG could take on one light-hearted episode or mini-episode. There is so much potential material with an inept centurion who is constently screwing up, getting himself killed and then "resurrecting" to go on to more hilarity. Think BSG meets Wall-E meets Groundhog Day.

Hey, if they are going to have to do a filler episode somewhere in there (and you know they will), why not have a little fun with it?

June 10 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom's comment
Akbar Fazil

except that none of season 4 will have any filler. RDM has been saying this from the opening of this season. Since everything will be in one season (and not over two as originally thought) there is no room for filler.

BSG has already had it's light hearted comedy episode. Way back in season 1 with "Tigh me up, Tigh me Down" and we all saw how well the comedy edge worked there. Also, Centurions don't ressurect. Only skin jobs and Raiders do.

June 10 2008 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Welcome back Akbar. You are considered a valuable contributer here, so don't leave us again.

Dorv: Go sit in the corner and wash your mouth out with soap. Are you back off the road yet....where were you last week.

Gentlemen....Pleeeeeeeease understand....there is no such thing as a Grace Park character being creepy.

June 09 2008 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
Akbar Fazil

Yes look I am back... just in time for one more episode and then nothing! :)

I am sorry Tim, I got the heebyjeebies the moment creepy8 started touching Helo this week. Thats just an HR violation ready to go.

June 09 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Silvia

What about Kara and Lee mourning the death of Laura Roslin? Not very realistic considering that she tried to kill the former and has not been in very good terms with the latter recently.
In the promo for episode 10, I was also surprised to see Kara stop Lee just in time before he airlocks 3 of the final 5. I mean, come on, they have given both Athena and Kara the benefit of the doubt and they have been cooperating with the other cylons...........not even a couple of days in the brig? I am curious to see how they play it out.

June 09 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Colin: To clarify:

I think Boomer is dead, and this new 8 is creepy.

And I think someone has seriously overrated Grace Park as an actress... And I think that someone knows that I think that, and doesn't actually hate me for it, so I'm cool.

June 09 2008 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

The last paragraph was taken from a poem I had written to honor Grace Park.

June 08 2008 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

I can always forgive writers for committing technology errors (too numerous to list here), I can forgive them for the errors in make-up, errors in logic, even continuity errors....but I can NOT forgive them for the derailing of character consistency. The frustration in trying to critique and discuss the characters next moves and reasons thereof, is like trying to play chess with a four year old. Yes, I love the show, (because you-know-who is in it) but are the writers shaking up the personalities of the protagonists merely because they can....or is there a method to thier madness? Forgive me if I am repeating myself but this problem is not limited to the (beautiful) characters of Grace Park.

Let me change course a minute by saying this weeks episode was a good one. It was a good one because firstly, it had multiple appearences of Grace Park (God, that girl can act!). It also had that riveting blend of action, drama, and suspence. I agree with Dorv's fine post, in that Roslin did a hell of a job with her performance this week. But I could never endear myself to her character. Those who read my posts may suggest that my aversion to her may stem from the past ill treatment Sharon has suffered at her hands. And they would be right. But yet....there was always something else I could not pin down. Her treatment of Sharon just made it easier to loathe her. This week's installment may have enabled me to understand at least some of the roots of discontent I have held for her....in that she never loves anyone. Perhaps it was this aura of coldness that I sensed all along. That revelation really hit home to me. In this content I give the writers credit for delivering that marvelous creation of empathy and very effective mood transfer. Remarkable.

Getting back to my earlier point, here's one: the humans went off on a joint mission WITH the cylons to take out the resurrection hub. Now that the plan was told to the human pilots they act as if it is news to them and almost mutiny.

Another: (and this has been ongoing) The wretched Cavil refered to Boomer as his "pet eight" Why the Boomer we all knew would have twisted him into the figure of an eight when he said that. This is the Boomer that almost changed the entire field of thought of the cylon world....the Boomer that defied the meaning of the word quit. No. These writers are ruining everything.

Collin: For the past few weeks I have been a very unhappy Tim-1. I have seen my beautiful Sharon and Boomer, and eights being thrown to the wolves (or what is that new saying....thrown under the bus). I almost cringe now when the show comes on....what will happen to her next? It almost seems the writers have it in for her....and yet seem to love the characters that appeal least to me. Perhaps at shows end there will only be Baltar and Roslin left....talking to one another in the other's head, giddy about how they screwed over all the humans and cylons. Like the cockroaches after a nuclear war, they alone may survive. Again, this show is still excellent and is not broken ....the only thing that IS broken is my heart.

For Sharon, Boomer, and the number eights:

Rue the tulip for it's blissful dearth
O' tragic the doomed splendor

Crave we must of lasting content
Delay the unhappy sender

From the silent ether unseen by you
Sends a kiss to lips I've yearned

and may every breeze to caress my cheek
be your sweet breath returned

June 08 2008 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tim McCleese's comment
Tom

Oh pointy bird, oh pointy, pointy, anoint my head anointy, nointy...

Can anyone explain: Midnight13 said...

I have to point this out because there is no place to post comments in that area. On AOL Television they have post the results for the Fall Television poll results. Go to question #5, Which Show is SO Over?"

I looked at it for a few minutes at work today and couldn't figure it out. Or is the joke on me?

June 10 2008 at 2:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Tom -- The Bachelor pic had a Number Six standing in the background. They've since swapped it out I believe.

June 10 2008 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Boomer can't be dead. She has way too much storyline left. Think her and Chief together at last!

June 08 2008 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Keith,

I don't know... There have been many complaints about how this season have gone (I've spoken up a time or two), but with the exception of last week, I think the last three or four episodes have been back on pace.

(Last week was rough in my eyes... The ruining of Romo Lampkin as an interesting/deep character, the shotgun "promotion" of Lee, Adama calling out Tigh and then promoting him).

It almost felt to me that these episodes were out of order (Yes, I know chronologically they were, that's not what I'm saying). The final scene two weeks ago ("JUMP!") was outstanding, and then we went away from that for a week. That can be done quite well, but I think we were left with just a bunch of odd stuff going on (I'm looking at you, Lee).

To this week (and maybe everyone's REALLY disappointed in the fact that I haven't rocked one of my LONG posts in a long time, and not actually the direction of the show):

How great was it to see Elosha back? Lorena Gale brought such a nice presence to the role, that if you really think about who would be the avatar of Roslin's conscious (sp?) there could be no other. (If it were a, "Laura Roslin, this is your LIFE!!!" then it would be Billy... Ok, this could have been Billy too).

Having kept myself COMPLETELY un-spoiled for the final season (And trust me, you've got no clue how hard that is for me...). I even haven't watched the previews (Ok, not having SciFi and having to watch on their site helps there).... I've got to tell you the scene of the night was when Xena (I can say that because Akbar doesn't seem to be around :) ) told Roslin she was one of the Final Five. I thought it was great, and believed it, and laughed out loud when she came clean.

So Athena is on the Galatica (right?)... Boomer was with Cavil (And, you know, died. No more Boomer). But, didn't someone get the impression that the Eight that was with Helo was also Boomer? And that now, she was Boomer+Athena (Tim-1's head just exploded... Or, you know, other parts). Or was she just a random Eight that took on Athena's memories?

Speaking of the same character... Dude, the whole taking on another Cylon's memories feels a little boiling bunnies to me. Creep city.

I find myself agreeing with Keith about hair except for (and I hate to admit it) what Malren said... When she's all bald like, it doesn't work for me. That being said... The straight hair "wig" be it a wig or be it a style, looks outstanding. Baltar got it right... Roslin is a damn fine looking woman.

The Baltar/Roslin stuff was pretty good. I liked McDonnell's performance there... Just shaking was a nice touch. I still don't think, personally, Baltar is guilty of anything there. Roslin saving Baltar (then not, and then again) was good. I liked her more before Baltar confessed his sins though.

Baltar and the Centurion was probably my favorite part of the episode. I don't know what Callis was acting with during filming, but he and the CGI team did an outstanding job. Haven't we, though, already seen the Centurions become free thinking when they joined the faction? I don't think we've seen enough to further the idea that they're just slaves reporting to different masters.

I'm sure the CGI space stuff was great (and I love Selix's call sign, even if I'd never noticed it before), but I will have to wait till the DVD release to see it in its (at that point upscaled) HD glory.

A great episode, and I like the way we're lead up to the mid-season finale. I really always felt that they'd find Earth much earlier than anyone else, possibly as early as next week. We'll see if that prediction come true.

One last thing... Did anyone... ANYONE... Ever suspect that Heavy Raiders needed/used pilots? Seriously? When you watch that scene with that thought in mind, you can almost hear the writer's room discussion:

Writer One: Well, we need a scene where there's tension in alliance between the grunts.
Writer Two: We could have the pilots face off...
ONE: Cylon's have pilots?
TWO: Oh.
ONE: Its still a great scene... Maybe no one will notice.

June 08 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
7 replies to Dorv's comment
CoreyLee

Roslyn's hair has been mentioned a few times, and seems to be an amazing make-up job, but the Six's Natalie vs. Caprica hair has been amazing as well. I have no idea how they take Tricia Helfer, the actress, to both hairstyles.

June 08 2008 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CoreyLee's comment
Emily

I think that Tricia's hair is permanently bleached platinum for the Caprica role and then they put a temorary color that washes out in 3 or 4 shampoos for Natalie. Tricia is so striking as the platinum blonde, but it must be murder on her hair. I really never thought that hair color made that much difference until seeing Tricia's transformation.

June 10 2008 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I couldn't help but think Baltar was looking all Jesus-y when he was lying down, with blood pouring from his hands (actually his sides, but still).

June 08 2008 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Borat's comment
Heleth

With the jesus-like abdomen wound. They were laying it on pretty thick there.

June 08 2008 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stigmata

maybe he is the dying leader prophesised!

June 08 2008 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply