July 24, 2014

What are the best movies based on TV shows?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 7th 2008 1:03PM

Mission ImpossibleWe've talked a lot here at TV Squad about movies made from TV shows. A while back, Anna listed her picks for the 10 best movies based on TV shows, and then Paul listed his picks for the 10 worst. (I also chimed in with my picks for 5 TV shows that are better than the original movie). Now Rotten Tomatoes picks the 50 best movies made from TV shows, and the results are...odd.

Now, some of the choices are predictable if not accurate, including Star Trek II, Wayne's World, South Park, Mission: Impossible, The Untouchables, and The Brady Bunch Movie. And fans of Firefly will be happy to see Serenity on the list (and in the top 10!).

Though I still don't understand why everyone picks The Fugitive, one of the most overrated movies of the past 25 years and nothing like the TV show, really. And do we need that many Star Trek movies on the list, including lesser ones like Insurrection? The problem with picking 50 films is that it's way too high a number. You start running out of the true cream of the crop and have to fill up spaces. That's why movies like George of the Jungle and Josie and the Pussycats make the list.

What are your favorites?

Toby O\'B

It galls me that 'Mission: Impossible' would be considered a worthy successor to the TV show, considering how they betrayed the character of Jim Phelps. When the movie first came out, TV columnist David Bianculli suggested that somebody should buy the rights to "Jerry McGuire" and screw the main character over. See how Tom Cruise likes that, to have the memory of one of his best characters destroyed as he did (as a producer of the movie) to Peter Graves' character of Jim Phelps.

Since they didn't get Graves to play the role, then why bother making Jon Voigt be Phelps? He could have done the same role as a different character and had the same effect within the movie.

Agggh. That topic always gets me riled. That and Will Smith as Jim West.....

June 08 2008 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrbooze

"Though I still don't understand why everyone picks The Fugitive, one of the most overrated movies of the past 25 years and nothing like the TV show, really. And do we need that many Star Trek movies on the list, including lesser ones like Insurrection"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of the RT list was to simply rank the TV adaptation films based on their cumulative RT score. So a team of editors didn't "decide" which films belongs on the list, they simply listed the top 50 movies adapted from tv series in descending order of their RT score.

So, the reason The Fugitive is on there is because it scored more better reviews than the others. Likewise the Star Trek movies. It's about as close to an "objective" ranking as you can really get. (Which is of course not really objective at all, but it's probably the least-unobjective way to rank film quality.)

None of which makes it any easier to accept that Star Trek:First Contact is ranked higher than Wrath of Khan.

And yes, 50 was way too many. Which is why I assumed the whole thing was an almost-automatically generated list designed to generate as many ad-views as possible.

June 07 2008 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

"Star Trek" certainly has to be on that list. I'm hardly the Trekkie but its longevity, and its influence is undeniable. I mention this because I am also a big fan of "Firefly"/"Serenity", and you have to give credit where its due. There would be no "Serenity" without "Star Trek". Oh, and here's a left of center mention "Jackass" and "Jackass 2". Sure it doesn't have characters or a plot, but talk about taking a silly ridiculous little show and upping the ante on the big screen.

June 07 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

The link for the top 5 one redirects you to the top 10 movies....

So I was wondering if Stargate was on the list. Or if you don't count it.

June 07 2008 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Alicia's comment
Chuck

I don't think Stargate would qualify, as the movie came first.

June 07 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

Either you fixed the link, or it was user error on my part (Which is very possible)

Anyway... I was sad to see that Stargate wasn't on Bob's list.

June 07 2008 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut", and "The Simpsons Movie".

As for the Rotten Tomatoes "list": I gave up after about 6 clicks. It infuriates me that they design these things to suck out 50 clicks from me, and give me no alternative way to see the whole thing. I don't have that kind of patience just so they can pretend to their advertisers that they get "eyeballs". Screw them.

June 07 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply