October 25, 2014

Moss Beach Distillery epically fails at duping the Ghost Hunters

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jun 8th 2008 11:45AM
ghost hunters
It's not often that I write up about an episode of Ghost Hunters, but this one was quite different than the rest. Unfortunately I'm not talking about something spectacular the GH team caught on video or a wild EVP recording.

During the second half of the 'Widow's Watch' episode, Grant, Jason and crew headed out to the Moss Beach Distillery in Moss Beach, California, to investigate reported sightings of a mysterious "Blue Lady" ghost. Spencer Gray, the exec chef at the restaurant, gave the team a hammy tour of the place, pointing out the various places where sightings and sounds had been reported.

As the team conducted their investigation, Grant and Jason caught on very quickly that the whole place was rigged with props and gags to make it sorta seem haunted -- a hidden speaker and glowing face behind the mirror in the ladies bathroom; pneumatic triggers to move the chandeliers at timed intervals. There was likely more, but they didn't waste time finding out.

Needless to say, Jason and Grant were completely bull. I think what we saw on-camera was a dumbed-down version of what their real reaction was when they discovered the clowns at the distillery pulled a fast one on them. When they confronted Gray during their usual reveal session, they kept their composure as they gently expressed their disappointment that they weren't told about the gags. Gray's response was that it must have "slipped [his] mind," all while not doing a very good job at hiding his smug smirk.

I honestly don't know how Jason was able to restrain himself from reaching over that table and taking Gray by the nose. Not only did the team waste their night at this place (and on the other side of the country), but Grant nearly broke his ankle trying to see what the hell was in the ceiling. I'm left wondering if Sci Fi will sue the restaurant for pulling that crap and then lying by saying they simply forgot to tell the team about the gags.

Kudos to the GH team for keeping their cool, even though I bet they left a few holes punched in hotel room walls in frustration. As for the Moss Beach Distillery folks: what the eff?

Bonnie Vent

Hi Everyone,

Loyd Auerbach will be on Para X Radio LIVE tonight to discuss this contraversy.

Here are the details:

Thx so much,
Bonnie Vent

June 19 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seasick1

Yeah, the chef epically failed in his awkward fumble. He was most likely under orders from the management to only say something about the effects when pressed.

Either way they spent plenty of time on the rest of the place and found nothing. Next.

June 09 2008 at 6:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Fran

Grant and Jason are from my home state, and I think that the people who did this should be ashamed of themselves. Don't mess with our boys. Ghosts do exist, and many people have seen them. Sad to say there are alot more evil ghosts than friendly ones. You have to go where ghosts are sighted, if you don't, then you won't ever see one. Believe me, ghosts are out there. Spend a night at the cemetery, if you dare, and let us know what happens.

June 09 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie Vent

It would seem to me that Jason and Grant were tricked by the production company. It is widely known by paranormal researchers as well as a show broadcast many times on the Travel Channel that the Moss Beach Distillery has some special effects. According to Loyd Auerbach (who is very knowledgeable on the location) he was contacted by someone who said they were from the production company asking for information about Moss Beach Distillery. He informed them of the special effects. Other locations such as the Queen Mary have areas with special effects and some areas without. The same is true with Moss Beach Distillery. The effects at Moss Beach Distillery are not in locations where actual activity has been reported. Loyd Auerbach posted a blog on Myspace detailing this thoughts on this.

This publicity seems to be to the benefit of SCIFI and the show. It also appears that they did not make a special trip to California to investigate this location. It was part of a west coast sweep. The production company chose the location and it would appear did some research (as they should) about the location before approving it as a venue for the show. Creating a contraversy is considered "good television" and they always have the option of not airing a segment if it is not worthwhile. Pissed off ghost hunters is good television and does nothing for the paranormal community, it will however increase ratings for SCIFI.

IMHO,
Bonnie Vent
Spirit Advocate
www.sdparanormal.com

June 09 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl72

Believing in ghosts, fine.

But I can't believe people so self-righteously believe in them.

Ever notice that almost everyone that believes in ghosts is an out-of-his-brain crackpot?
Same with alien abductions, 9/11 conspiracy theories, and diy veganism.

June 09 2008 at 9:50 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

You guys are right -- ironically, this shouldn't be on the "reality free" feed. Force of habit I guess. I removed it.

June 09 2008 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanGarion

Why the hell is this in the "REALITY FREE" tag? This is reality tv in the fricken flesh....

June 08 2008 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

My brother has seen lots of ghosts, but not lately since he started taking his meds again.

June 08 2008 at 9:41 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

I have no idea whether ghosts are real or not. Honestly, my opinion is that there's something going on, but it's not spritual; it's all scientifically explainable, though not necessarily *now*. Maybe the "ghosts" are part of something screwing with dimensional space. Maybe those EVPs are just left over radio signals from the past. Who the hell knows! It's still all fascinating to me.

I don't know the GH guys at all, but there's something about them that makes me believe that they're not trying to pull our leg. In fact, their purpose on this show is to *disprove* the so-called ghosts in these episodes, to show that maybe it's something else that's causing the weird shite happening.

I would be completely bowled over if these guys laugh about what they're putting on-camera at the end of the day, because people like me are fools for watching. I believe they're legitimate with their expressions on what they're experiencing. If they're fraking with us, then kudos, because it's still entertaining to me.

Now, as far as the crap they say during the investigations ("dude! look!" ... "G, check it out!"), I'll admit I cringe sometimes. But, hey, they're just people.

June 08 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tim

This show is so fake. To fake out the fakers... that's pretty funny.

June 08 2008 at 8:50 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim's comment
Tim

Whoops. Hit post before I was ready.

I've only seen one episode of this show. There was one guy sitting on a couch, with his arm hanging off to the wall. You could see his bicep moving as he was swinging his arm. Then they subtly shifted the camera to "cut off" his moving arm. After a minute suddenly he says something like "you hear that knocking?!"

Yeah right. Like the fakers need to be bummed out by being faked out.

June 08 2008 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply