September 30, 2014

AmericanLife: It's swell

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 9th 2008 10:40AM
Richard BasehartWhile channel-surfing on my little office TV last week around 1 a.m., looking for something to keep me company, I stumbled across an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (star Richard Basehart, pictured), followed by Combat!.

"What is this channel that plays all these old shows I remember as a kid?" I asked the TV Gods.

"It's AmericanLife," they replied. "They feature classic family shows aimed at Baby Boomers -- shows like Remington Steele, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Lost in Space, and Welcome Back, Kotter."

Ok, the TV Gods didn't really say that. I looked it up on the AmericanLife Web site, not to be confused with Showtime's This American Life, the fab documentary series hosted by Ira Glass.

AmericanLife also offers original shows, like Embassy Chefs, Flea Market Mania, American Family, and Fixing Dinner, which will air 13 new episodes this summer. The series features host and cookbook author Sandi Richard answering "dinnertime cries for help" for a different family each week.

I guess with the classic shows, they're treading into TVLand territory, but AmericanLife also airs newer shows like L.A. Law, China Beach, WKRP in Cincinnati, and St. Elsewhere. I can't tell you how excited I am to watch these shows again. China Beach is one of my all-time favorites, not to mention both of Bob Newhart's series and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

And I especially like the middle-of-the-night shows. I'm writing this on Sunday night and looking forward to Hill Street Blues at 12 a.m., L.A. Law at 1 a.m., and Mission Impossible at 2 a.m.

My mission -- and I do accept it -- is to watch AmericanLife whenever possible.

erroneous_nick

I do not get American Life on my cable. After reading this article I really want it. Argh!!

June 09 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LumpyG

I have been watching St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues on 153 in NYC, also Lou Grant. American Life is much better than TV Land.

June 09 2008 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

What I like best is the theme nights - spies one night, Westerns the next, comedies... Fridays were all "The FBI", but I don't know if they still do that.

They used to show 'Maverick' and 'The Adventures of Superman', but I think they've run their course for now.

I watch it for 'Burke's Law' (Saturdays, repeated Sundays), 'Time Tunnel', 'Land of the Giants', and 'The Lone Wolf' (a 1955 creaker shown late nights on the weekend).

June 09 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drew

I loved Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!!!!!

June 09 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Now that TV Land has gone to hell, WGN Chicago rebrands itself as WGN America, and features Taxi, WKRP in Cincinnati, Newhart, and many more

June 09 2008 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

Oh, that Direct TV had this. I like TV Land, but I would so love to have Hill Street Blues, yes, St. Elsewhere, and other good shows on. There were so many tv shows, yet only a few get shown on TV Land. How about the Equalizer? We Boomers miss our shows!

June 09 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seamus

This just in...Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin have set foot on the moon.

June 09 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply