September 17, 2014

Dirt takes a dirt nap

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 9th 2008 12:24PM
Courtney CoxYou don't usually get cancellation or pick-up announcements about TV shows at a charity fund-raising event. But that's what happened yesterday at the "A Time for Heroes" Celebrity Carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, or the "ATFH"CCBTEGPAF for short. When asked about the chances of her FX series getting picked up for a third season, Courteney Cox announced that Dirt has been canceled.

The show was never really embraced whole-heartedly, either critically or in the ratings, but it managed a second shot. Unfortunately for Cox and company, that second season was cut short by the WGA Strike, and as with many bubble shows, it just fell by the wayside. Maybe the tweaking they did to the format for Season Two, making it lighter and more accessible to the casual viewer turned off more of their hardcore fans than they anticipated. Maybe the ratings it was getting just weren't enough for FX to pick back up production after the strike. Maybe David Arquette had a habit of showing up on the set in his BVDs and it finally just got to be too much for the cast and crew, so they walked. Or maybe Shane dropped a grenade in Lucy's lap in that finale they just never got a chance to film.

Zach

I watched the entire first season, and while I liked it it didn't compel me enough to come back for the 2nd. Glad I didn't, sounds like they screwed it up and made it worse.

June 11 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

They screwed up the 2nd season completely. The serialized format was much better. Plus we had the awesome Don Konkey giving those great updates that we didn't get anymore this year.

June 09 2008 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

It's kind of a shame to see this show go, but I'm not totally surprised. The first season was quite awesome, but they slowly started losing their awesomeness during the second season, but without that season being fully realized due to the strike, I don't know if it could have developed back into a story that as a whole, was up to par with the first season.

I think there was a lot there, and it could have been great, but now we'll never know!

June 09 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

If I want ripped from the headlines, I'll watch Entourage. I think they deserved another shot at fixing the show, but this show won't really be missed.

June 09 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Im not really suprised by this.. I loved the first season, but to me the whole second season just sucked.. It became more about ripped-from-the-headlines-stories and makeing fun of celebrities, and less about the dirty ways of the papparazi/magazin buisness

June 09 2008 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply