April 24, 2014

Cast announced for the next Celebrity Rehab

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 10th 2008 4:41PM

Celebrity RehabThe first thing I thought of when I learned the celebrity lineup on the next edition of VH-1's Celebrity Rehab was "wow, this could get ugly." The New York Post is reporting that the celebs involved in the second edition of the show include Jeff Conaway (who was on the first edition but decided to leave before it was over), Gary Busey, Rodney King, Sean Stewart (Rod's son), former American Idol contestant Nikki McKibben, Tawny Kitean, Amber Smith, and former Guns 'n Roses drummer Steven Adler.

This is really sad for all of the obvious celebrities-doing-reality shows reasons, but I'm also a little irritated by Dr. Drew Pinsky, who is the leader/executive producer of this show. Once upon a time I'm sure Pinsky simply wanted to help people, but now, although I'm sure he'd rather see these people cleaned up than going through addiction and other problems (obviously), there's more than a whiff of exploitation in the air. Like Dr. Phil, he could easily counsel these people away from the cameras. Why does everything (and everyone) have to be on television now?

Filming for the season began on Monday and the show will debut in October.

The Pepto Pimp

Bob, I was in your camp until I finally watched the show last season. I thought it would be disgusting and exploitive. It is, but it has a heart of gold. Dr. Drew really is trying to help these people. And these people are often trying to help eachother. It's a VERY accurate depiction of the recovery process.

And one more thing, Busey, Kitean, Conway & King?!?! This is gonna rock!

June 11 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

The sight of Jeff Conaway detoxing last year was so disturbing. Maybe they should go to high schools and show scenes from him in his glory days in "Grease" and "Taxi" and then show him shaking uncontrollably, slobbering all over himself, incoherant, a complete mess. He was brave to go through it so publicly, but I do question the motivation of a lot of these "stars". It's like they crave attention so much that they would even do this to get it. Isn't that an addiction in itself?

I hope they do a follow up on Jessica Sierra. I wonder if she'll still be there when Season 2 starts.

June 11 2008 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mseve68

I admit that I watched every episode of the previous season and I'm looking forward to the new season. Between Jeff Conway, Gary Busey and Tawny Kitean it's hard to say who will be the biggest problem child.

Did any one notice that there is another former American Idol contestant on the show?

June 11 2008 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Don't know who Amber Smith is either.

As for the biggest problem child, I know Tawny is a handful but she doesn't even rank on the Busey scale.

June 11 2008 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

Busey ftw!

June 11 2008 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I'm actually working on this show. It's so strange, in that it's the first show I've worked on for multiple days and have NO idea what's going on with the cast.

June 11 2008 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I don't mind it being on television, it is just what I saw on television made Dr. Drew look like a lousy therapist. I sure hope they are getting a LOT more out of it than they are showing on tv.

June 10 2008 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Karen's comment
Alicia

Oh I am sure that they are.

SHHH!! I was addicted to the first one, and will watch this one as well.... but is it bad to say I wanted a beer when watching it?

June 11 2008 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I didn't watch the first one, but my friend used to call me every week to laugh his arse off at how funny the show was. You bet, the doc really wants to help people. How embarrassing.

June 10 2008 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

If he can reach one person, which he did in the first one, in fact two people (bridgette and Mary Cary) its worth the exploitation in my opinion...who is amber smith?

You know who is going to be the problem?

Tawny.....hands down

June 10 2008 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Why on a television show?

Dr. Drew answered that question while doing media for the first season. He said that the reason they decided to set this television show up is because it was a for

a) People with family members who are in rehab to actually see what its like on the inside.

b) Most of these "celebrities" wouldn't, or couldn't afford to go to rehab. They were much more willing to do a television show, that took the stress of the cost of rehab away, and put them on television.

June 10 2008 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply