April 17, 2014

When will we be able to see the first season of Life again?

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 11th 2008 11:24AM

When will viewers get to see the first season of Life on TVOr Chuck, or Pushing Daisies, or Private Practice for that matter. With the announcement that FOX was going to offer a marathon of The Sarah Connor Chronicles starting on August 10th I got to wondering about the other freshman shows that made an impression on viewers before the Writers Strike abruptly ended their seasons. Many of these shows haven't been seen since the end of last year.

For Life, the last original episode to air was December 5th. With the second season premiere slated to air during the first week of October, it will be nearly a year since viewers had a chance to bond with Detectives Charlie Crews and Dani Reese. That's a bit of a concern when it comes to this show. On the surface Life is a criminal procedural. However, underneath there has been an second story about Charlie's quest to clear his good name for a murder he didn't commit. While the first arc of this story was completed in its "season finale," there is plenty of story to tell.

Question is, who is going to watch Life when it returns? Fans may or may not come back to the show just to see how the story wraps up for Charlie. But, what about new viewers? Will they hook on to a show that already has an underlying story that they need to catch up on? Especially in its new time slot of Friday of 10 pm?

That's why a rebroadcast of the first season of this, and other freshman shows, is most important for this upcoming season. Due to the Writers Strike, there was much more retention when it came to primetime schedules, which means shows like Private Practice, Chuck and Pushing Daisies were given second chances to prove themselves. If the networks don't promote these shows by airing their first seasons ahead of time how will they be able to make any headway with their fans and new viewers?

Sure, you could argue that viewers could go online to watch these shows to get some idea about characters and plot. However, the image they would get of some shows would be incomplete. Take Chuck, for example. Doing a search on Hulu, this show only has three episodes available for viewing -- all of them from the beginning of the series. As the tone of the show changed from those first few episodes viewers may not be able to get a feel for what the new season will be like. Then, there's the intimacy issue of watching these shows online. While Hulu offers all 11 episodes of Life's first season on their site, there are still viewers who would rather watch the show in the comfort of their living rooms rather than on their laptops.

Despite the opinions of some experts, television is still very important when it comes to the popularity and life of primetime shows. By airing the freshman seasons of these programs the networks have a chance of bringing in both the advertisers and the fans for the new season. By not airing these shows sometime during the summer, the networks run the risk of losing the fans they already have and filling empty spots that, due to the Writers Strike, they just don't have the material for.

cecilerudd

Why should we care if the networks don't? I liked Life last year and I'm looking forward to it this year. But is seems like the network has given up on the show by putting it on Friday night. I'd be surprised if it lasted 3 episodes.

June 12 2008 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

I also hope that Life continues even though it's given this dull time slot. What I can't understand is why they gave Lipstick Jungle the Wednesday at 10pm time slot when it was doing worse off than Life was? I'm sure there are more underlying factors, but I'm really optimistic about that show and am a big fan now.

June 11 2008 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I say we send NBC copies of Zen Mind Beginner's Mind in protest.

June 11 2008 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

June 11 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

The ShowCase channel in Canada is showing Life again.

June 11 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Considering that many of those shows got less then half a regular season this year, it would be pointless to air the episodes on television so early into the summer. With so few episodes to re-air they really don't have to start airing them till the mid-July or later even. Some shows that start in the fall last year didn't return till the last week in September or first week in October. I agree though I would like to see the completed episodes of "Pushing Daisies" again. I hate network summer programming.

June 11 2008 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Season 1 on DVD releases September 2nd.

June 11 2008 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monic

I'll certainly be coming back for the next season and the wait is killing me. And I hoped they'd start re-running Life before the second season starts, I've been trying my hardest to hook people on the show but there's only so much a fan can do if the Network isn't doing much of anything to help the show.

I'm clinging to this show so hard. It's been a while since I've been this particularly fannish.

June 11 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicki48

I am one of the underrepresented who watch TV on Friday nights. I will enjoy seeing Life again, however, I wish the network would stop screwing around with the Friday night schedule and leave it alone for us stay-at-homes!

June 11 2008 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David P

How about instead of a rerun of the first season of 'Life', NBC wakes up and realizes that a new season of 'Journeyman' instead would be a better idea?

I do feel sorry for fans of 'Life', however, since the new timeslot virtually guarantees that the show won't live out the season - enjoy it while you can.

June 11 2008 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to David P's comment
tv.squad.zkam

Why choose one? They are both good shows that should be continued.

June 16 2008 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply