So You Think You Can Dance: Top 20 perform
(S04E06) The first night of performances and we've got a lot to consider. Nigel and Mary were joined by hip-hop choreographer Dan Karaty at the judges table and they led us through ten couples. We saw everything from smooth waltz to Broadway. And only one thing is for certain: it's going to be a tough competition. As Dan said in the beginning of the show, there are no front runners.
But after the ten couples strutted their stuff, the pack of ten had some leaders. Find out what happened last night on So You Think You Can Dance after the jump.
1. Rayven & Jamie danced a Napoleon and Tabitha hip-hop piece to "American Boy" by Estelle featuring Kanye West.
2. Susie & Marquis danced a Hunter Johnson smooth waltz to "Dark Waltz" by Hayley Westenra.
3. Kourtni L. & Matt danced a Mandy More pop jazz number to "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell.
4. Chelsea T. & Thayne danced a Tony Meredith and Melanie cha cha to "Oye Como Va" by Celia Cruz.
5. Chelsea H. & Mark danced a Mia Michaels contemporary piece to "Beautiful" by Me'Shell Ndegeocello.
6. Kherington & Twitch danced a Tyce DiOrio Broadway number to "Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me Kate.
7. Comfort & Chris danced a Tony Meredith and Melanie jive to "Boom Boom" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters.
8. Katee & Joshua danced a Tabitha and Napoleon hip-hop routine to "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown.
9. Jessica & Will danced a Hunter Johnson tango to "Tango" from Cirque de Soleil.
10. Courtney G. & Gev danced a Doriana Sanchez disco number to "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind, and Fire.
BEST OF THE NIGHT
In my opinion, the best piece of the night was the second Tabitha and Napoleon hip-hop number. After that first routine with Rayven and Jamie, I was having serious doubts about Tabitha and Napoleon's hip-hop style. But, Katee and Joshua's performance to "No Air" was fantastic. When Katee danced alone, she was forgettable. But once Joshua joined her, it was electric. He has such control of his body. It's really extraordinary. Furthermore, when they danced together, Katee and Joshua were almost perfectly in sync. As Dan Karaty mentioned, it's extremely difficult to hit every movement at the same time. I was surprised that the piece was over so quickly. It was the one number last night that got me excited about the show.
WORST OF THE NIGHT
For me the worst performance of the night was Kourtni L. and Matt's Mandy More piece to "Tainted Love." I adore Mandy More's choreography. I think many people will agree with me that her piece last year to Queen's "Body Language" was one of the best of the season. Also, "Tainted Love" is such a great song. It combines the smooth lyrics with the harder-sounding synthesizer so there's a lot of room for stylization. The dancers just didn't do it for me. Maybe the song was too big for them. Maybe the choreography was too hard for such tall dancers. But whatever the reason, I found myself very disappointed. These two are trained dancers and they should have delivered. The lift was horrible too. Kourtni, while very tall for a dancer, is not a heavy girl. Yet, you would have thought she weighed 200 lbs. from the way Matt lifted her. There was one redeeming quality in the dance: they hit those double pirouettes beautifully.
LINE OF THE NIGHT
The line of the night came after Chris and Comfort's jive routine. The comedianne of this season, Comfort, said of her outfit: "You ain't never seen me in no bra and panties and beads." Cute. But that wasn't the line of the night. Chris defending his personality (or lack thereof) was brilliant. "I'm not a tree everybody," he announced nervously to the audience. And that's the proof that he in fact does have a personality.
OUTFIT OF THE NIGHT
I loved Susie Garcia's blue dress. She looked lovely during all those lifts. And it's nice to see her wearing more clothes and less make-up. She's rather attractive but we didn't see it until tonight. Whose outfit did you like the best?
- I think Cat Deeley might be pregnant. She looks like she's gained some weight in the middle region. She could've just gained some weight too.
- Did Mary Murphy contribute anything worthwhile tonight? My sister watched the show with me and she said, "It's just the same formula every time with that one." And she's right. Mary sets it up like she's going to say she hated it then screams like a banshee that she loved it.
- From the opening of the jive number with Chris and Comfort, I thought what would follow would be much better. I was not as in love with that number as the judges. I am, however, in love with the couple. Here's to Chris and Comfort staying another week!
- Twitch and Kherington's Broadway performance was my second favorite last night. Both of them are so comfortable on stage--they truly look like they enjoy what they do.
- From the initial performances, I feel like last season's dancers were better. I think we got spoiled last season. Am I right?
|Courtney G. & Gev||87 (14.7%)|
|Katee & Joshua||57 (9.6%)|
|Jessica & Will||47 (7.9%)|
|Comfort & Chris||42 (7.1%)|
|Kherington & Twitch||29 (4.9%)|
|Chelsea H. & Mark||28 (4.7%)|
|Chelsea T. & Thayne||11 (1.9%)|
|Kourtni L. & Matt||83 (14.0%)|
|Rayven & Jamie||104 (17.5%)|
|Susie & Marquis||105 (17.7%)|