August 22, 2014

The Daily Show: June 11, 2008 - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Jun 12th 2008 11:23AM
JoCo and John HodgmanBarack Obama only recently got the Democratic nomination and car dealerships are already cashing in on his likeness. Apparently Obama love sells Kia Sorentos like Democratic hotcakes. I know I should have been pretty disgusted or annoyed by seeing that commercial, but all I could think about was how that fellow sounded more like Obama than Fred Armisen's impression on Saturday Night Live. Grumble, grumble.

"Indecision 2008": I nearly died from laughing at Jon's "There's an old saying in Washington, that the nastiest four letter word in government is c**t." Oh, C-bomb, how you amuse me so. According to the biography The Real McCain, Senator John McCain once yelled at his wife, "At least I don't plaster on the make-up like a trollop, you c**t." That's... uncomfortable. Hillary Clinton supporters who have accused Obama of sexism are now backing McCain, so that works out. Obama has also been accused of elitism and spreading the world of Islamic terrorism through fist-bumping. I thought that was a really cute moment, but I guess that means I'm a terrorist.

"Staycation/Holistay": With rapidly increasing gas prices ruining everything, more and more Americans cannot afford to have big vacations. The media has even given a cute name for this horrible situation: "staycation." Resident Expert John Hodgman liked "holistay" better and offered some advice from the point of view of an extremely wealthy man. "The public pool?! Oh, god. Sorry, I'm just having a hard time getting the taste of Band-Aids and urine out of my mouth. Public pools are fine if you're looking for a fast, fun way to get Polio."

I couldn't contain my excitement when Jonathan Coulton, armed with his trusty guitar, popped in to accompany Mr. Hodgman as he sang Johnny Cash. JoCo's music appeared on TDS once, way back in April of 2006, in the form of an essay-song ("The Kurds will stay the saaame!") in another Hodgman segment. If you haven't heard of JoCo... First of all, what's wrong with you? Secondly, he's the geek folk rock god that did Portal's "Still Alive" and "Code Monkey", which is the theme song for the G4 show of the same name. I've seen him perform live twice (the first time during Hodgman's book tour, incidentally) and he's always spectacular. He lives off Internet love, so I can't help but mention him as often as I can.

The night's guest was Rick Shenkman, promoting his book Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the Truth About the American Voter. His didn't want to call American voters stupid, but... American voters are kind of stupid. Shenkman's point was that voters are focusing too much on the irrelevant things, like Obama's fist bump. His final quote was absolutely perfect: "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography." Ohh, man. I want that on a shirt so that I can get my ass kicked in the South.

Moment of Zen: McCain wants to focus on the casualties in Iraq. Positive thinking!

StillBash

You almost made me cry when you mentioned how those TDS fans got water this week while you were waiting in the cold for hours for TCR and didn't get ANYTHING.

Jonathan Coulton is coming to London on October. In case you come over here Annie I could bring you a coat to keep you warm. Or just hug you. I'll be wearing my selfmade "Meet Lucy" daughte of the devil T-Shirt so you can easily spot me. And point me out to your armed bodyguard ^^;

Is it stalking if the person you offer to hug is 5000 miles away?

Hodgeman's hair distracted me like hell as well. Kinda ruined the segment for me.

June 12 2008 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Coulton's Baby Got Back is like the best cover ever.

June 12 2008 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BillS's comment
Annie W.

Holy crap. That reminds me... I've definitely seen Coulton live three times, not two. After the 'Venture Bros.' panel at NY Comic-Con, I ran down the hall just in time to see Coulton do "Baby Got Back" with Paul and Storm. My poor heart could barely handle having VB and Coulton back-to-back, it was so amazing.

June 12 2008 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

What was with the apple and kitten pie? Would you be sad if the Obama's crushed a kitten baker?

June 12 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

There was a bit about gas prices reaching $2.95 on that April 2006 show. I paid $4.56 yesterday.

June 12 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Peanut's comment
StillBash

1 gallon = 3.785411784 liters

1 Euro = 1.54 US$

I currently pay 1.50 Euro for 1 liter of 95 Octan gas - Diesel and Regular gas currently average the same price, it pretty much levels out. Diesel has been more expensive for the first time ever last month even though it has a 22 Eurocent tax break.

Anyway, on with the calculation. 1.50 Euro/liter times 1.54 US$/Euro times 3.785411784 liter/gallon (strike out liters and Euro which leaves you with US$/gallon) = 8.74430122104 US$/gallon.

Quit complaining.

June 13 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I always suspected that the TV series 'Psych' might be some kind of terrorist propaganda. Thanks to Fox News my suspicions are now confirmed.

June 12 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DK

Stupid Internet culture... making me listen to Jonathan Coulton and David Cross.

June 12 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

I have no idea who JoCo is. But I don't think that makes me a bad person; I'm just not a music guy.
John Hodgman was great. It's been too long since he has been on. Did he change his hair?
You didn't mention the Applebee's non-sequiturs. I was really expecting some food to be delivered just before the first commercial break.

June 12 2008 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zachary's comment
Annie W.

His hair was longer and I was totally distracted by it. I think he's keeping it that way for his role in that Ricky Gervais film. Or maybe he just likes it.

June 12 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EbonyDad

Annie, does this mean you live in Dallas, TX?

I just saw this ad on TV a few nights ago. It was quite sad.

Also makes me wonder if Obama can sell cars, but no one would buy a car from McCain?

June 12 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to EbonyDad's comment
Annie W.

TDS showed the ad during the show. Seeing it in this context didn't make it any less sad.

I wouldn't buy a car from McCain. Maybe a Hoveround, but never a car.

June 12 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply