September 18, 2014

An open letter to Katherine Heigl

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 13th 2008 2:23PM

Katherine HeiglHey Miss Heigl,

How's it going? Good I hope! You must be enjoying the off-season, huh? I bet you can't wait to get back into production for Grey's Anatomy though. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I think you're a really good person. You seem awfully nice and it's very admirable the way you stand up for things you believe in.

You held your own against Isaiah Washington and stood up for your friend T.R. Knight when Washington's hateful words stunned us all. You even spoke out against the sexist undertones of Knocked Up, a film you starred in no less!

Since you seem so nice, I'm wondering if you could do me a small favor. I need a few thousand bucks to cover some recent medical costs. See, I sprained a muscle in my neck real bad a few days ago. How'd it happen you ask?

From craning to get a glimpse of your self-righteous mug way up on top of that high horse of yours.

I just don't get it. Did you actually think that there would be any sort of positive reaction when you decided to pull your name from this year's Emmy consideration? How cocky is that? I mean, if you were so convinced that the talented writers behind Grey's Anatomy had done you such a disservice, then why bother pulling out at all? If your top-notch gut instinct was right, you wouldn't have gotten a nomination anyway!

Now you've put yourself in a situation where you have to abide by the McDonald's Rule: don't piss off the people behind the counter unless you want to find a big wad of hacked-up snot buried between the patties of your Big Mac.

The thing is, you loved that Big Mac last year! You shoveled it down with the gusto of a fat kid swimming through a sea of Mrs. Butterworth's. And your hard work paid off. Even though the PA announcer said your name wrong, you still walked on stage and had an Emmy handed to you. Congratulations Miss "My name is actually pronounced Hi-gil." Frankly, I've always thought you should add the missing vowel.

So what changed? Last I checked, you hadn't exactly enjoyed fame and fortune in the past and perhaps that's the problem. But hey, what do I know? I'm sure there are lots of people out there clamoring for a Roswell reunion.

Here's what I do know. You've been handed the opportunity of a lifetime. You star in one of the most highly regarded medical dramas in ages. You've won a freakin' Emmy. And now you're going to talk trash about the very people who helped you get it? It's not up to you to decide whether or not you're worthy to get a second one. Personally, I didn't think Grey's was half bad this season. Certainly not the best, but your storyline dealing with Alex and Ava/Rebecca near the end of it was one of the better threads we got! Would you prefer that your character was still mired in all that Denny Duquette crap?

The short answer to all of this is that you've lost a lot of respect from just about everyone. Fellow actors, producers, studio execs, and yes - writers. You may not have been dropping offensive gay slurs like your buddy Isaiah, but you've officially generated just as much negative publicity as he has. So congrats on that. Also, enjoy your Emmy. It's probably the only one you'll ever win because I can't think of anyone who's going to want to give you a quality storyline on any show at this point. If you do stick around on Grey's though, our friend Ken Levine makes a fine point: get ready to give a lot of enemas.

Honestly, I think you need to stay. You'll save face and hopefully make an attempt to prove people wrong about who you are because let's be honest here - you're officially typecast. You play the crazy bitch. On TV, you're the kook who falls in love with hospital patients. On the big-screen, you get preggers and flip out or you hoard bridesmaid dresses. Granted, there is a huge market for this role: lovable crack-head with a heart of... crack; goofy girl-next-door with a lisp. I'm serious here! You could really give Anna Faris a run for her money! Just don't think that a career move like that is going to bump you from Emmy to Oscar territory.

Now if you'll excuse me, not only does my neck still hurt, but my wrists and fingers are sore too.

With warmest regards,
Jonathan Toomey

Owen Uridge

Rumors have swirled for the past year, that she was so in love with herself, it was getting difficult to work with her. Time will tell if anyone wants to work with her now. I hope the "crappy" writers put in some real stupid crap for her read so she will have the opportunity to see how stupid she can really look. All she does is read the lines. If it wasn't for the writers, she'd be a hooker in Los Angeles

June 17 2008 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JENNIFER

c cant stand this b****, complainer she said she wanted out of ga last season....let her go she wont!!! be missed

June 16 2008 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Troy Aldrich

She is Smoking Hot.

June 16 2008 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

For the record, I would love a Roswell reunion.

June 15 2008 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

No actually it's not. A good actor or a GREAT actor can only do so much with bad material. There are a ton of cases where great actors have suffered greatly because the material they have been given was just plain crap. Natalie Portman who is probably one of the youngest most talented actress of our generation delivered an extremely crappy performance in the star wars movies. Bad dialogue and bad plot line, even the most talented actor couldn't make those lines. As for the Emmy's well they are about as drab and as pointless as most award shows. Frankly most of them are nothing more than a mere popularity contest in my eyes. But if the material is bad, the most talented actor out there won't make it shine. Once again the Bucket List. Two great actors giving drab boring performances and horrible dialogue. It's not because Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson decided to up and suck all of a sudden. I'd say it's a 50/50 partner ship going on. It takes a good script AND a good actress to pull off the role. As for anyone looking good with good material? That's bull shit. There have been wonderfully written material that has been butchered by shitty actors and actresses. The Other Boleyn Girl a classic British literature Novel with wonderful characters has been tarnished with the likes of Eric Bana and Scarlet Johansson who can't act for shit.

Fact is this. You get what you put into your character and the backbone of that is the writing. I mean if we were to use the Emmy example, she was nominated in the past as Izzie Stevens for her ability to portray that character. So she obviously knows what she is doing when it comes to portraying that character. However this year her character gave some of the most stupidest dialogue with the most mundane story line and pointless love triangles I have ever seen this year.

And yes she did suck. Once again. It's not because she decided to up and suck all of a sudden. It's because the writers got incredibly lazy with the plot and decided to whip up some last minute BS. In fact the entire season was pretty much like that. So blaming the show and the writers seems plausible because it's THEIR job to make it appealing. They're the ones to blame. Not the person who has pulled it off for four years in a row.

And she wasn't the only one who suffered either. The entire story line and for the most part acting abilities went a little sour due to the lack luster material that was given. Ellen Pompeo was no exception. I thought her story line for the most part of the last two seasons where about as bad as it can get and in turn the performance suffered. It's generally a partnership that you need GOOD acting with GOOD story line. Balancing my rear end. Her whole little debacle just made me want to punch my computer screen. I mean saving a deer? A love affair with George? The fans are right. Her story line got completely cheesy and I say she got the short end of the stick this season. Wrongfully so might I add.

And I can't see anyone considering Sandra Oh's death walk of a performance up for an Emmy this year. Which is a shame because I actually like her. But I can't support something that was kind of out of her control. I can't see half the shows that I liked up for an Emmy this year. And yeah the writers strike had a little something to do with it. But you know what? A lot of this stuff happened before the strike as well. Mid third season like I said when the started to get a little crappy and then all of a sudden take a nose dive in the fourth season. The evidence is there and has been shown in the past.

June 14 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to James's comment
Thomas Klem

Jonathan Toomey needs to stfu. I applaud Heigl's decision to bow out of contention. She has a right to speak her mind. More power to you, Katherine.

June 20 2008 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

June 14 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to James's comment
Nola

I'm going to disagree with that. Great writing will only make a bad actor adequate not good, so I can't see how it's 50/50. Either you can act or you can't. Even when movies suck you can still tell whether the acting is good or not and when the movie's great and the acting isn't up to snuff it's just as obvious. I agree that the entire cast had to deal with less than stellar writing this season, but even the worst actor among them didn't suck. Heigl would like us all to believe her acting suffered as a result of the writing. That's not how it works. If you're an actress and can't make the best out of what you have then why are you even bothering? And she's not even saying that she thinks she sucks, she's plainly stating that the writing was beneath her and didn't allow her to shine like the beacon of whatever that she thinks she is.

June 17 2008 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea

You all keep applauding this woman for standing up for TR KNIGHT when it is quite evident that she is opinionated and dogmatic in regards to everything. I see egomania. Isaiah Washington was a means to an end for her to exert her disdain of him and people fell for the drama around the incident to paint him the villain. Isaiah Washington did not have it out for TR. People just did not like him and pounced when he made that statement and connated that he was inferring TR's sexuality.

You need to wake up and realize she is very maniacal and deceptive. One day it will come to light how she engineered this whole Isaiah Washington Faggot-gate when the scandal-hungry press.

June 14 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I want to say thank you for this "Open Letter" that you so eloquently wrote for Miss Heigl. I find it amusing that send this joke of a letter (and yes I do refer it as a joke) without knowing all the facts. I hope this year's summer is going very well for you and that you have no trouble finding true love due to your hideously sprained neck. Also I hope your liver is doing ok with the massive amount of hater-ade that you and the rest of your moronic supporters seem to be guzzling down

But I felt that being the moralistic person that I AM and wanting to point out a few foibles in this so called open letter of yours Johnny boy. I know that a man of you well idiotic stature would probably what I have to say confusing and what not. But don't worry. I will explain it in a way that you and the rest of your minions can understand it.

First off and most importantly, what she did isn't cocky at all. Most would actually consider it tactful and graceful. This year's season of Grey's Anatomy has gone down hill big time. The writers know it, the audiences knows it, and the cast members know it. And it's no stranger to anyone that Katherine Heigl these days CARES about what she wants to work in and what project she concerns herself with. Which is why she did the honest thing and did the pre emptive movement of withdrawing her name her self from the list of nominees because she felt she didn't do a good enough job with the material she was given. Nothing Cocky about that. In fact I wish a lot of more people would have a tenth of her honesty instead of breathing down her neck like a judgmental douche bag such as yourself. She basically has been saying everything that the fans have been saying and it's only idiotic haters like you who are upset. Lets get that straight shall we?

As for doing a disservice to her? That's just silly now. She obviously cares enough about the show to speak OUT about it. While most people would be conserve and reserve she felt that she needed to speak about how mediocre the show has gotten. Which it has because it suffered greatly from the 4th season. And yeah the writers strike did have something to do with it, but that's no excuse for quality in the show that has gone down hill.

And who says she didn't love the show? Who says that she wanted to leave? That was speculations an rumors that the haters and the people who spend their days on the internet making stupid open letters to actors actresses they don't even know cooked up because their own lives aren't eventful enough. I mean do you honestly believe the BS that is coming out of this letter? If you do then you need to do some research on the people who have openly done the same thing that she is doing now. Like I said before, if she didn't love the show she wouldn't invest this much time on it and this much energy and place a statement like that out there. She obviously cares what is happening with the story of the show and she obviously cares about where the story is headed. And she cares what is happening to her character, and she doesn't agree with it. Nothing cocky there. I'm beginning to think you don't know the definition of the word.

But you want to know what changed? The show changed. Drastically. Obviously MONEY isn't her only issue with the show. Since she received a sizable check for her episodes I doubt that fortune is something that is an issue with her. But the show it's self has allowed it's self to become campy, to bland the story lines and create stupid love triangles between her character and other nonsensical characters that randomly popped into the show as well as the writers who chose to ignore the critical response that the fans and critics have given them. It's not so much SHE changed, as it is the SHOW changed.

As for the opportunity of a life time, you are mistaken I am afraid. For the past season and a half this medical drama is hardly considered a highly regarded one. This year alone critics have jeered this show and have been comparing it to the later seasons of ER. And that's not a good thing because the later seasons of ER were considered a joke. She won an Emmy for a GOOD performance that SHE did. SHE did it on her own. And yeah the writing was good. But as for the people who helped her, I'd say a good chunk was her because if you cast anyone else to reads those lines I'm sure they would've failed. But Iâ€&

June 14 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to James's comment
Nola

The actress' point of view is clearly skewed. First of all if you're an actual good actor, you'll make the best of what you've got. Isn't the Emmy for acting? If she can't act to suit whatever script she gets then she's a shitty actress. If she can only be good when given good scripts then she's still a shitty actress, because what the audience will see as being good isn't her, but the writing. Anyone can look good with good material. It's shining when you've got less than stellar material that highlights your ability and proves your worth. So blaming the show and the writers for why Izzie was godawful this season and universally hated? No one's fault but her own.

Like I said in my previous post, Meredith is a character that anyone could say was a hot mess and badly written for most of season three and the latter half of season two. But Ellen played her anyway and she played her as well as she always did. And she never got kudos for that balancing act. Heigl wants to whine about having saved a deer and having an affair with George? Try dying and coming back again after hours, a life after death scenario, that entire ridiculous family that is the Grey brood and sleeping with George then crying.

Pompeo played Meredith in all those scenes to the best of her ability and still managed to give a good showing, but she never reaped the benefits. Heigl got some of the best writing with the Denny subplot which earned her an Emmy. Sandra Oh spent half of this season in a blur walking around like a zombie and she was still gold.

June 14 2008 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

She's a cookie-cutter blonde who is the flavor of the month.... she'll be a has-been in no time as no one will work with her.

Does she really think she's teh reason people went to see "Knocked up?" You could have put any actress in that role.

I will no longer watch Grey's Anatomy, or anything this arrogant woman is in.

June 14 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jc

I so agree with Nola. First of all Grey,s in my opinion has always been over rated but really Katherine Heigl ????? Talk about WHO THE HELL DOES SHE THINK SHE IS

June 14 2008 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply