April 23, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Revelations - VIDEO

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jun 13th 2008 11:30PM
bsg
(S04E09) Well now, how was that for a surprise ending? Well, that is, for those who didn't get to see the screening in L.A. Wednesday night. I was invited to go but, seeing as I live on the other side of the country, it wasn't really all that practical to be there.

While this was an amazing episode, I've got mixed feelings of sorts. I'm elated that this isn't the finale episode of the series, that we've got another slew of episodes to go through before "the end." However, this episode felt like it possibly could have ended the series -- will the real final episode pay off as well as this one did?

Let's start off with D'Anna and the "final five" Cylons. She immediately asks for only four Cylons, then confirming that number with Roslin on the Base Star. This could mean that one of the Cylons is already on the Base Star or that the last Cylon is dead. I'm going with the latter, since it makes a lot more sense that she said "I'm sorry" to the one final-five Cylon she saw in her vision that is actually dead, probably at the hands of Cylons. But, really, this whole thing of the final Cylon is sorta a moot point now, isn't it?

"For children to reach their full potential, their parents have to die." I thought that quote from Kara was prophetic, in a way. It plays in nicely with the whole "it has happened before and will happen again" theme that we've heard so much about. Perhaps Earth is considered the dead parent that gave birth to the Colonials and/or Cylons, who are now expected to reach that full potential.

I never liked how easily Tory became "evil" once realizing she was a Cylon. Again she does something out of character for her, by embracing her "new home" and defying Roslin. What made her embrace her Cylon-ness like none of the others have?

E.J.O.'s performance as a broken Bill Adama was one of his best of the series. Hell it was one of the best of anyone's performances of the series. During the scene, he bemoans having sent people to their deaths in search of Earth. He nearly seems suicidal over it (and, I gotta say, he seemed to have gotten drunk mighty quickly). What will his state be now that they've seen the place they've been fighting so hard to reach?

The Cylons and Humans making their alliance was an eye-widening event. It was inevitable that they'd have to find a way to live together at some point, not that one would have to survive while the other perished. This is what I meant when I said that the final Cylon seems to be a non-event now. The reveal of the final four Cylons to the Colonials was jarring for only a moment. This entire series of events would have fit within several episodes, not just this one. Now we have to wait until well after the snow begins to fly again before we'll see another episode.

bsg earth
Then, at last, we finally see what we've all wondered for more than three seasons: The condition of Earth once the fleet reached it. This was one of the many possibilities mentioned in numerous places, and really it makes the most sense. Once I saw they were truly going to approach Earth, and knowing this season is not over, how could it be anything else?

The big question we have now was something D'Anna already said: "Where do we go from here?" Did the fleet land in only one portion of the planet that was laid to waste? Could it be that Earthlings moved over to colonize Mars or the Moon? Is Earth even habitable right now? How will the rest of the people still sitting in the fleet react to the news that they've come all this way for nothing?

It's going to be an interesting bunch of months of speculation, remembrance and, of course, a lot of waiting.

Other points:

• Tyrol looked happy to be caught, to be sitting there in the airlock and ready to die. He was clearly tired of hiding and was happy to see it all end, even if it meant his own death. If he couldn't pull the trigger on himself, he was fine with someone else doing it.
  • Baltar seems to be taking last week's events to heart, working to do what he can to save someone other than himself. He's actually becoming a character I like again.
  • Why didn't Starbuck just pick up a phone rather than run all the way to stop Lee? I guess then we wouldn't get the overly-dramatic run through the halls of Galactica as Lee queued up the airlock doors.
  • Great seeing all aspects of the ship celebrate during the arrival to Earth. It made the final scene of the episode all the more sad.
  • Speaking of the final scene, it looked an awful lot like they were standing on Liberty Island, looking over the bay to New York City.
  • The approach of the fleet to our pale blue dot: Amazing.

Current fleet population: 39,664 (-1 for hostage)

Was Earth's condition what you expected it to be?
Yes.898 (30.7%)
No. I thought it'd be present-day Earth.411 (14.0%)
No. I thought it would be Earth of the past.645 (22.0%)
No. I thought it would be an intact future Earth.614 (21.0%)
No. Something else entirely.361 (12.3%)

Beaugrand®™©

Obviously, Dirk Benedict is the final Cylon.

July 16 2008 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raj Singh

I have to believe they didn't find Earth, they found some kinda planet that was populated by the 13th tribe. Think about it - their religious writings implied that Laura wasn't going to survive long enough to actually *see* Earth, and they haven't found the 5th Cylon yet.

With the hunt for the fifth of the Final Five, and the inevitable death of Laura, I don't see them reaching the Earth for at least... oh... 7 more episodes? :)

July 10 2008 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cantankerous

I think they should end it here, lots of unanswered questions, no soppy ending.

July 02 2008 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
astrobill1968

Actually, I retract my earlier post about Zarek being a candidate for the fifth. All the other four played key roles in fighting the "bad" Cylons and helping humanity survive.

Therefore, I expect the final one to be Cain. She'll be resurrected on Earth (which IS where they are now...it's not "Terra"...gimme' a break). Don't see curveballs where the writers clearly didn't intend...it's earth...too elaborate an episode for it to have been anywhere else...too tearjerking a scene...too expensive the music, etc.

June 28 2008 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lvarre

After reviewing old episodes, Baltar needs to be pay for his sins against humanity: his initial betrayal, him failing to identify Boomer, and the nuke he gave to Gina....to say the least. Also, the viper is NOT the fifth cylon. At this point who really cares about the fifth cylon. There's nothing special about the final four, who cares about one more, unless that final cylon is the one who is orchestrating all of this. I think the final five were the original cylons, spent some time on earth, programmed the remaining 7 cylons and created the centurions. I think they blew it when they left Kobol. Kobol is the beginning of humanity, they should have stood their ground and re-claimed it for humanity. And how did they jump to 'earth' on just one FTL jump? If it was that close that it only required one jump earth would not have been that hard to find, right? They've created so many plot lines that they cannot end them with cheesy solutions. Why is Hera so special when Tyrol also had a hybrid child? Tigh and Six got pregnant! That's even more impressive.

June 25 2008 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Sorry I'm late to the commenting party, but life got in the way.

I know it is probably sacrilege to draw a parallel between BSG and a Disney movie, but I couldn't help but think of the Madagascar Penguins saying "Well, this sucks." while watching the final scene.

Could this be a viable explanation of Starbuck's Viper? Starbuck gets sucked into whatever cosmic distortion that led her to earth along with a Cylon Raider. They engage each other and mortally (almost) wound each other. Some unknown higher intelligence (Ship of Lights?) encounters them and patches Starbuck up minus some memories and can only manage to save some of the the Raider's AI and downloads it into the Viper and with the system incapabilities it only manage to send the directional beacon. The unknown beings give the Viper a wash and a wax (cuz their nice like that) and send it back where it came from. Ok, it's lame.

Where did Baltar's Head Six go? Shouldn't she be all up in his head with all the people to manipulate milling about?

Michael Hogan deserves an Emmy nomination for his work this season.

An earlier post wanted to know what Adama was drinking to get him drunk so fast. He wasn't falling down drunk - he was emotionally distraught. His best friend and man he counted on most revealed himself to be the enemy. It was a moving scene.

Just my .02

June 23 2008 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LS

Worst ending ever!

They blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to HEEELLLL!!

See what I mean?

Great series, we'll all be back in nerd spectacles in a few months to see where we've been "tricked."

Trekkie soap opera, to the last.

June 22 2008 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

Personally, I think the last Cylon is alive, and that D'Anna was saying "I'm Sorry" to Anders, since she tried to kill him on Caprica, and would have done it, if Six and "Boomer" hadn't stopped her.

As far as Tigh being a Cylon, he got the six in the brig pregnant, but I thought Cylons could only reproduce with humans. Is that not the case?

June 22 2008 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Guys:

1. Of course it's Earth they made it to. Unbelievable expensive choral music was made for this episode. Teark-jerking scene after the jump. Massive city remnant unlike anything on Kobol. Come on...Terra?!?!? Give me a break. It's Earth...don't second-guess all the obvious stuff that wasn't meant to be a curve ball.

2. Remember the Raptor that blindly jumped away during the Hub battle after the pilot was shot? They made a big point of including that scene....guess where the Colonial transponder emergency signal came from that they followed to Earth??? That Raptor must've ended up at Earth! As to why Starbuck's miraculously new Viper is the only one that picked up the signal? Not sure yet....I'm hoping they don't pull a wormhole/time-travel bit here....

3. There's no way Baltar is a Cylon. Of all the candidates I've seen people talking about, only Zarek comes close to being possible based on past episodes plots, etc. If it's not him, it's somebody nobody as thought of. Or a totally new character on Earth.

4. The dome sure as heck looks like the roof of the Opera House. I agree with the poster who pointed out that there's no way the writers would've made a big deal out of the scene with the book and picture of the dome/opera house/whatever early in the episode if it didn't have meaning.

June 21 2008 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tipstir

Don't know where you getting your storyline their Scott, but you should write the final chapter then! Most of the storyline comes from the writers, so dogs and etc is mostly used by humans today. Here you got some sort of space ark traveling in space to find the promise land in this case the planet earth.

If they're on the Planet Tera then this storyline is following the old BSG, a bit. We haven't seen the evil god like being like in the first one. Haven't seen the GODs yet, just hearing and old style radio playing some sort of tune.

Right down does it really matter who's the Fifth one.. We got all of them and they're pretty much hanging around with the Humans.

I've met the Admiral Adama in person at Mel's Dinner in Hollywood, CA late into the night, he was driving a black Toyota Prius. This is way back when the new show first started. He looked short in person.. Anyway I don't think he's the fifth one it could be his son.

June 21 2008 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply