April 23, 2014

Ten commercials male-bashers will love

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 13th 2008 6:05PM

AT&T adHave you ever noticed that men are often the butt of jokes on television? Whether it's the goofy, lazy husband on sitcoms or the incompetent, oversexed guy on TV commercials, men are often shown in a bad light (I know, I know, woman only make 70 cents for every $1.00 a man makes, but it's almost Father's Day so let's talk about this, OK?). AskMen.com has a list of the 10 worst male-bashing commercials on television.

The Pizza Hut ad. Gah. Another commercial that shows that it's the mom that can cook and the dad that has to call for takeout. I would guess that even a lot of women wouldn't like this ad, since it reinforces the whole "women belong in the kitchen and men work and have to order takeout" stereotype. And that AT&T ad. Believe me, there's no way a guy would admit so to his wife in such a stupid way that he lost $5800 in Vegas. The part you don't see is when he goes on and on and tells her about the hooker that he was with the night before.

But the one that gets me is the ad for Dairy Queen. There is no other commercial right now that makes me want to throw my remote at my TV. A little girl completely manipulates a boy and gets a free dessert from him, and then tells her mom that "it's like shooting fish in a barrel." For one thing, I really doubt a girl that age would even be familiar with that saying, but second, this just reinforces ridiculous stereotypes and really sends a bad message (can you imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed?)

The mom's expression at the end says it all. She seems to realize "oh my God, I'm raising a whore."

Will

Kate you missed the point. It is a society problem. The advertisers are playing to what they have found to be popular. In simple terms, they are kissing women's asses by making fun of white men so that they will buy their product. And you had better check again about advertising still being a male dominated field.

January 26 2010 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alvaro

pizza hut commercial is not as bad as the commercial when the girl complains to her father about the cabinet and when he says okay,they show the mother paying the her,or what about the windex commercial where the woman is spraying the liquid and when the guy wakes up he crashes in the glass.

we need to get rid of femenist,they are the ones who pay for these commercials.

July 09 2008 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Bashing men is how Lowes pulled out ahead of home depot. And sitcoms have been doing this for decades.

June 14 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

As the mother of two young girls, I find the message the Dairy Queen ad is sending out just as offensive to girls/women as it may be to boys/men. Just plain offensive over all.

June 14 2008 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Considering that advertising is still a male dominated field you have only yourselves to blame.

June 13 2008 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kate's comment
Argus

Did you hear that guys? Because there's a high probability that a male made these ads, all of us other males are, by extension, also to blame for them!

And crime is more often committed by men; if a violent crime is commited by a man against another man I guess we can just call it self mutilation then...

June 14 2008 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treqie

Snap! yeah, +1 for that.

June 14 2008 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

I really, really hate these types of commercials.

June 13 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

I think we can forgive a lot if the ads are actually funny. The Sonic commercials come to mind.

June 13 2008 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I really hate that Dairy Queen ad, it's the one that gets on my nerves the most.

June 13 2008 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply