December 18, 2014

Tim Russert dead at 58

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 13th 2008 3:57PM

Tim Russert

Tim Russert, the chief political reporter for NBC and host of the long-running Meet The Press, died of a heart attack this afternoon. Russert was recording voiceovers for Meet The Press and collapsed.

This is obviously sad and odd because he was young, but it's also crazy because we're in the middle of an election year, and Russert was one of the faces of NBC and MSNBC when it comes to politics. He was an unabashed political junkie and was front and center in this year's election, being involved in all of the primary coverage and even participated in debates along with colleague Brian Williams.

Russert worked in for Democratic Senator Daniel Moynihan's campaign in the mid 70s and in the early 80s worked on Mario Cuomo's campaign for Governor of New York. He joined NBC in 1984 and became moderator of Meet The Press in 1991. He also wrote two books.

Will

Man. This is one of those times when the news makes my jaw drop open, when Brokaw announced it. Never saw that coming. He was amazing because I don't think I've ever seen anyone, on tv or not, as interested in the polictical process as he was. I've watched NBC news since Brokaw's days as anchor & so many times this year during the primaries, he would come on & just be like a kid in a candy store, talking about the process. November certainly will seem rather empty without him.

June 15 2008 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Damn, just damn...

He is only a few years older than my mom.

June 13 2008 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scotty Ice

RIP Tim

June 13 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Burns

I am very sad. I watched him on the today show for political commentary for years. He was so young. He will be missed.
My condolences go out to the entire family. You are in my prayers.

June 13 2008 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

Unlike the bombastic blowhards who lead most shows with panel discussions, Russert wasn't in love with the sound of his own voice. He was intelligent, firm, hard-hitting, shrewd, wry, and polite without relying on yelling or over-talking. Sad to say, I truly think he's irreplaceable.

June 13 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Oh wow. This is pretty disturbing.

My father is at that age. Because of the presidential campaign even I saw him on a weekly basis.

I guess I'll go call my dad now...

June 13 2008 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

He was a titan of MSM, truly one of the most reputable, honest, and unbiased members of the class. Now that's not saying much for the MSM, unfortunately, but their overall lack of class makes Russert's professionalism and work ethic all the more awe-inspiring.

I can't imagine anyone else on MTP. I don't envy whoever they get to replace him.

So he was recording the voice-overs? Did he have the interview segments taped already? It would be interesting/sad if we got to see him one more time this Sunday.

June 13 2008 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leota

i can't believe this. =(

June 13 2008 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

He was a legend and will be sorely missed. There is no one better than Tim Russert.

R.I.P.

June 13 2008 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ranger72

I always liked him when I saw him on TV; he was just a genuinely likable guy. The election coverage will be poorer for his loss.

June 13 2008 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply