Six reality TV classic moments from Big Brother 1 - VIDEOS
The show wasn't actually called Big Brother 1 at the time. It was Big Brother 2000. The live feeds were free to all who had internet access, there were only ten houseguests, no "twists," and the viewers voted off a houseguest each week. Some folks thought it was as interesting as watching paint dry. But, for those of us about to become BB addicts, there were definitely some classic moments.
Under different producers, BB 2000 was an entirely different world. The ten strangers were actually strangers! Oh my, what a concept! Banner planes started flying only to increase during the second season, then be shut down in the third. The houseguests had a real pet, a pug dog named Pugita. Unlike the later seasons, there were few conveniences like microwaves or even washing machines or dryers. They had old fashioned washing boards and a clothesline. They had chickens and viewers were privy to the chicken cam. Perhaps a bit boring at times, we had plenty of classic moments.
1. George's Potato Clock - Unlike the houseguests of today, this group couldn't find out the time by peeking at the clock on the microwave oven. It was definitely a surprise when the goofiest houseguest of them all remembered a childhood science course and built a potato clock. That same potato clock was used by the show for one of the first sneaky bits by the producers -- Josh Souza was set up to be "The Saboteur" and set the clock back a half-hour every night.
2. The Trinitron Dance - Now, who could forget this one? When told that they would vie to win a 32" Trinitron television, probably state of the art at the time, they came up with an impromptu dance. Ah, such an innocent time of the show.
3. Chicken George Blasts Off - Fearing possible eviction and hate from the outside world, Chicken George turned into Space Chicken George. Armed with his tin foil suit, dyed green hair and goggles, he earnestly tried to blast his way out of the Big Brother house. Um, no -- it didn't work, nor did his plan to get all of the houseguests to walk off the show later in the season.
4. Jamie's Lip Gloss - Jamie was a beauty queen and being on a reality show wasn't going to change her needs for the perfect lips! After being the target of derision for her passion for make-up, she took to applying her lip gloss in the strangest places. Little did she realize that the cameras were indeed following her everywhere. She'd tuck herself on the floor up next to a bed to gloss, snag. In the bathroom, snag. Oh, well. It's better to be known for lip gloss than your chin, right?
5. Will Mega and Eddie, the massage - Part of the problem with America voting off the houseguests is that the most controversial (and most entertaining) tend to leave first because the voting public finds them offensive. I really wish Will Mega had stayed longer. I was waiting for him and Eddie to get into fisticuffs. However, he did get the equivalent of the last word with Eddie when BB set Eddie up for a massage prize. Blindfolded and rather helpless, it was the massage of Eddie's nightmares.
6. The Sloshy Josh Dance - So, the house was down to three finalists -- Eddie, Curtis, and Josh. As per the ongoing tradition still in place, BB supplied the boys with liquor. And we got one of the classic moments of Big Brother television.
Are you ready for Big Brother 10?
|Maybe a few times a season||75 (38.5%)|