October 20, 2014

Watch David Letterman open an old-school can of snark on The Hills' Spencer Pratt - VIDEOS

by Jay Black, posted Jun 17th 2008 11:26AM
Older, but still sharp.You talkin' about my hair? Well, all right -- What is that? A swim cap?

One of the greatest all-time moments of my senior year of high school was watching David Letterman completely dismantle Madonna. She came on with the idea that she was going to set the agenda and really give Dave the business; I guess the sycophantic dancers in Madonna's pre-show prayer circle told her that she was really funny. Anyway, if you remember, she went toe to toe with the big guy and, to quote a phrase, she awoke a sleeping giant.

Letterman's cultural cache might be waning a bit -- he was beaten by Nightline in the ratings recently -- but his wit is still with him. Further, as the following clip with hair-product enthusiast Spencer Pratt will show, he can still seethe with barely controlled rage at our culture's propensity to elevate idiots to places of prominence. The video after the jump...

I think my favorite moment is when Heidi tells Dave that he needs to "up his game", as if dealing with Spencer's quick wit requires more than four or five neurons.

Also, if it's true that Spencer gets $100K and up for making appearances at nightclubs, it's only a matter of time before the alien Klaatu lands on the Mall in Washington D.C. demanding that we stop our foolish infatuation with Heidi and Spencer before the Earth is destroyed. Frankly, when that happens, I'll be rooting for the aliens.

Just for fun, here's a video of the Madonna incident with Dave. It's kind of like watching Floyd Mayweather Jr. box a particularly obnoxious 6th grader:

Jenny K.

Actually, my favorite moment was Spencer bragging about he's too cool to go to a club for less than 100k, followed by Paul Shaffer's withering, "You know, neither will I."

June 18 2008 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie Dinkle

I really really really really really really really HATE Madonna. And someone needs to wipe and flush Heidi and Spencer away. Who finds them interesting anyway?

June 18 2008 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

The only thing keeping this from being a classic Dave moment is the fact that he's not talking to a big star. If this were some A-List, or even B-List actor this would have been spectacular. Instead, he's sitting there talking to a never-was (a few steps lower than a has-been) who's never done anything in his life to be remembered for. No wonder Dave resents the guy. He probably resents the fact that he even has to have him on his show.

June 17 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zakk

Has anyone else noticed that since his heart attack, he seems to be a crotchety old man. I can barley watch him, matter of fact I don't. I do enjoy Craig F after him, but he always seems bitter and pissed off.

June 17 2008 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ari

Nicely done Dave. He didn't give Spencer more than a shot which would be more than he deserves.

The only difference was when he doe this to Paris she literally hasw no clue what is going on. Heidi could see spencer was getting destroyed by him. Thats actually a step up. They couldn't do anything to prevent it, like talk about a single useful thing they do in their lives, but it's better than Paris.

Its a catch 22. The clubs give these morons money to show up because it keeps the kids coming everynight and keeps the club hot. The kids are the ones who want to see the morons or be seen in the place where the morons were or are. But the kids are only morons because of the morons on TV. Basically it comes down to the 18-25 and their disposable income, which to them means all income is disposed of and that makes them such a powerful demo.

June 17 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

lol Spencer couldn't get out of there fast enough...

June 17 2008 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Wow, what a douche. Anyway, people like heide and spencer think they are smarter than everyone else and have no clue that they are not.

June 17 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Wow. I guess it's true that anyone can get on TV these days.

What did Heidi say, "you have to step your game up David Letterman?"

June 17 2008 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

This is why I watch Letterman. People say he's cranky and doesn't enjoy doing his show, and that's why you get this Letterman. I think he just hates interviewing idiots. He doesn't book the show, so he's forced to have people like Heidi or Paris. And he calls them out on thier BS. Where other late night hosts just brown-nose thier guests.

June 17 2008 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply