October 30, 2014

A Weeds spin-off?

by Kristin Sample, posted Jun 18th 2008 6:43PM
Weeds began it's fourth season Monday night on Showtime and showrunner Jenji Kohan told E! Online that she's thinking about doing a Weeds spin-off. The possible spin-off would focus on Conrad's story and take place in a pot club. Kohan explains that it was time to split up Nancy and Conrad but she still felt like Conrad's story was compelling: "I love those characters; I just think those relationships wore themselves out, and I wanted to be true to where the characters were. Truthfully, Heylia and Nancy had nothing more to say to each other. Conrad and Nancy weren't going to be the loves of each other's lives, so it was time to move on."

As for the style of the spin-off, Jenji Kohan has a good idea of what she wants the show to look like. "I'd shoot it sort of fake reality-show style. It could be pretty like The Hills!," she says. While The Hills is indeed a "pretty" show, I think comparing the Weeds spin-off to The Hills is a downgrade for me. I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen.

jessica

I think the statement about the relationship of nancy and conrad running it's course is Bulls**t, there romantic relationship was just getting started and its what the fans want to see. If there is a place for celia on the show Im sure Kohan is creative enough to fit conrad and heylia into the show. This show is not the show I fell in love with....my boyfriend already gave up on it and im next. This once comedy is now a novela. Oh and nancy doesn't even sell weed or anything else anymore, she sits around while her nanny cares for her child!

July 12 2010 at 5:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Korbi reported this on Zap2it.com on JUNE 4th, like two weeks ago: http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2008/06/weeds-season-fo.html

June 19 2008 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

Jenji should just concentrate on making Weeds better.

The show has lost its way. I think I watch it more out of loyalty of how good it was in seasons 1-2.

June 19 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

Well, whatever this Weeds spin-off is called, I hope it's
not going to be called "Crack" "Cocaine" or "Maruijana".
We have quite enough uninspirational TV titles, thankyou.

June 18 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Weeds is a great show and a spinoff would be awesome, Heylia was one of my faves on the show, he quips were the best. She would make a great lead on a show with this persona.

June 18 2008 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

They are supposed to be, but I doubt we will see much of them.

I think they should do a spinoff, the ratings are there for one, but in a normal style.

And comparing anything to "The Hills" is a downgrade for almost any show.

June 18 2008 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Heylia and Conrad are going to be back on Weeds as recurring characters, aren't they? That's what wikipedia says anyway, and I can't imagine not going back to those characters at least once.

June 18 2008 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply