April 24, 2014

Dirty Sexy Money gets a new showrunner

by Erin Martell, posted Jun 18th 2008 4:24PM
Donald SutherlandThere have been a lot of personnel changes made to the cast and creative staff of Dirty Sexy Money lately. Only four months after replacing original showrunner Josh Reims, Daniel Cerone has left his executive producer/showrunner position. Big Shots creator Jon Feldman is Cerone's replacement.

Apparently ABC didn't share Cerone's vision for a darker season two of Dirty Sexy Money. Fortunately, Cerone is leaving on good terms with the network. He still has a two-year deal with the ABC Studios. There will be an unexpected early break in production so that showrunner duties can be handed off to Jon Feldman.

I'm not sure what to expect from Dirty Sexy Money next season. There has only been one short season of the show, and DSM's already on its third showrunner. Series regular Samaire Armstrong's role has been scaled down, and Lucy Liu may be joining the cast. Will the show look and feel the same when it returns? If Cerone's take on Dirty Sexy Money was too dark, will the series become more of a soapy drama?

Is this news cause for concern, or just the usual retooling?

Alex

I'm really looking forward to DSM returning and I hope it will be as much soapy and funny as the first season. The amazing ans surreal characters and casting sell the show in this one.

I was very happy to hear about Cirone becoming the showrunner, since the series could definitely get a bit darker, but now I'm a bit dissapointed to see that he's leaving.

Big Shots was mediocre at best, why would they put someone like Feldman on charge? I hope it turns out to be at least of the same quality, if not better, coming fall.

June 20 2008 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I think DSM is one of the best shows returning. I'm not sure if hiring anyone from Big Shots is a good idea, but I thought the writing was excellent last season and the acting, especially by Sutherland and Krause, was amazing. Donald disguises decency disguised as evil disguised as cleverness and loses me from there on out. Don't forget Father Brian or Patrick and his trans-gender lover! DSM has camp, cleverness, and class all wrapped up in one.

June 18 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Well, then by all means hire the showrunner for Big Shots since it did so well in the ratings. I really enjoyed the show - Sutherland and Krause were worth every minute, but I'm doubting it will hold the same appeal when it returns. If they place it against something else I watch, I think they'll lose me. Oh well, it's been so long since it was on I won't miss it, that's for sure!

June 18 2008 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I didn't understand why Daniel Cerone was even hired to be Dirty Sexy Money's showrunner in the first place. Cerone had done a spectacular job on Dexter, but DSM is intended to be a fluffy, quirky nighttime soap, an entirely different animal. He wasn't going to fit. Of course, I thought DSM was the most overrated AND the most disappointing new series last season-I was amazed it attracted any kind of audience. I suppose what happened is that ABC thought they could make it "edgier" with Cerone on board, but then had second thoughts after seeing the initial results.

June 18 2008 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C C's comment
Joey Geraci

Really? Viva Laughlin (it was cancelled, but still), Samantha Who, Carpoolers, Cavemen, Private Practice, Gossip Girl, Back to You, Bionic Woman, Big Shots, Women's Murder Club, Moonlight???

They all sucked far more than DSM.

June 18 2008 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

It wasn't a "soapy drama" to begin with?

It seems to me that the second guy wanted to make it more serious and ABC wants yet another night time soap opera.

June 18 2008 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply