November 27, 2014

HGTV's new series The Stagers

by Kristin Sample, posted Jun 18th 2008 8:03PM
HGTV logoIn this struggling real estate market, HGTV has a new series that will focus on the newest trend in selling homes: home staging. Viewers will get a first-hand look at the work of Canada's premier home-staging company Dekora. In each episode, audiences will see innovative ideas and techniques that Deroka uses to prep a home for a quick and profitable sale.

In the first episode, we'll meet a recently-divorced homeowner whose home is terribly dowdy and outdated (think wood paneling ... everywhere). Matthew, one of the show's professional home stagers, transforms the living room into an inviting, modern space.

Of the new show, Michael Dingley, HGTV's senior vice president of programming, says "The Stagers reveals fascinating and timely solutions that can benefit home sellers in today's sluggish market. The series illustrates the impact that basic design techniques can make to any home."

The Stagers will premiere on Sunday July 20th at 10 p.m. ET following Design Star at 9 p.m. ET. The Stagers will then move to its normal time slot on Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. ET, beginning July 22nd.

Judie Lynn

I started watching the episode with Bridget and her mom. I didn't watch much of it because it definately strayed from being a knowledgeable decorating show. I don't watch other reality shows because of the discord, and often turn off "Roseanne" because of the disrespect of the children.l I want to "feel good" from what I am watching. HGTV is the station that I watch the most, but I won't watch the Stagers if it's going to copy the cheap theatrics of low-level shows. Please keep your integrity intact. You've had a good thing going. Don't ruin it now.

August 15 2008 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

I agree with Lisa Pile. I watched one issue of the Mother / daughter show and will not watch any more episodes. I think they should keep the Mother and ditch Bridget. Her rude behavior to her Mother is uncomfortable to watch. The two shouldn't be working with each other and Bridget obviously thinks she is above anyones idea's that aren't hers.

August 12 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hawaiian Eye

Lisa was "spot on" in her opinion of Bridget and her mother in the most recent episode of "The Stagers." How could an abusive daughter and an obviously (mentally) abused mother be HGTV's choice as designers on the show? Originally, I had taped the episode, but I have erased it as I do not ever want to see those two again!

It appears as if HGTV lacks the moral compass to make ethical choices in programming. By choosing to spotlight two obviously emotionally unstable women, you sink to the level of the "reality" shows who line their pockets with money reaped from the misery of others.

I definitely will not watch any more episodes which feature those two women.

August 09 2008 at 5:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hawaiian Eye's comment
Joy

My goodness, I was so dissappointed as I really was interested in a show that could offer me tips in my business and what I saw was so disgusting I had to turn it off. How could those two women be even on TV fighting like children while establishing themselves as some kind of expert in what?

Life is just too short to spend it listening to that kind of crap.............

September 02 2008 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Pile

I looked forward to viewing The Stagers. The first episode I watched showcased the talents of Bridgit and her mom. While the decorating was attractive, the behavior of Bridgit toward her mother was not. She was rude and dismissive. As for Bridgit's mother, she acted like someone who has suffered abuse most of her life when interacting with her daughter. I will not watch any more episodes with those two women as the design team because their relationship was very uncomfortable to watch and detracted from the show.

August 05 2008 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hawaiian Eye

I'll admit it; I look forward to watching "The Stagers," and I make sure to record every episode so that I can re-watch it for my own enjoyment and edification.

The use of "drama" in the tension between Matt and Jay was actually a good way to begin the season. The episode's ending showed that two excellent designers with diverse tastes can work together for the greater good.

However, while thus far, Matt has been able to rein in his arrogance, I can see where, as the show becomes more successful, Matt will show more of that invidious "downside" of himself. Because he is an extremely gifted designer, the audience is willing to "forgive" some quirks in personality. But overweening pride and arrogance is irritating. Such behavior will just make him appear like a spoiled little designer boy who throws a tantrum if he doesn't get his way. That's not appealing for any show host.

August 03 2008 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

I was just watching HGYV this afternoon and discovered they now have a show which does nothing but show brief clips recapping their other shows, for people who don't have time to actually watch those shows. Incredible.

June 18 2008 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply