October 26, 2014

Celebrity Circus' Blu Cantrell needs to learn some manners - VIDEOS

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jun 19th 2008 1:21PM
Blu CantrellFor the past two weeks, I've been catching NBC's Celebrity Circus after So You Think You Can Dance aired. Even if this means I only saw 2/3 of both Circus episodes, I saw enough of the show to know that soul singer Blu Cantrell needs to learn some manners.

I didn't know the American Grammy Award-nominated R&B singer before last week's premiere of Circus so I had no expectations. Even if I was mildly amused by the feature that showed her trying to learn her first performance, The Spanish Web, in between her sleeping here, there and everywhere and being lazy, and was somewhat entertained by her demonstration on the show, Blu Cantrell can't count me out as a potential fan of hers.

If you haven't watched this week's episode, stop reading now.

After her first performance, the judges were critical because they expected more from her, rightfully so. The singer was not happy at all after hearing the comments and was rather rude towards them. Over at the Celebrity Circus boards, fans posted their reactions after hearing Blu's comments. Here are a few:
  • "Blu was very rude. I hope she is the first voted off. There are children in that audience; that's not being a good role model."
  • "She was lazy, did nothing but get spun in circles while tied to a rope. Then gave nothing but attitude!!! Is she for real? I hope she goes back and watches the show and sees how poor her performance was, and how terribly she behaved. Send her home!"
  • "... she also proved how classless and rude she was tonight..."
  • "... This is someone who clearly can't take constructive criticism. Her response to the judge was so classless..."

I have to agree with them. (Note that some of them did post good comments for Blu, saying that the judges were awful and that they deserved to be slapped.) Poor Joey Fatone who had to hold the mic while she showed that she wasn't able to take constructive criticism. It was clear that I (and many fans) wanted Blu out of the game asap. She didn't give the needed effort during rehearsals and didn't show she had the proper attitude for such a series.

As I watched this week's episode, I crossed my fingers for Joey to say that she was going home. I even said her name aloud a few times during the long pause before Fatone announced who was not performing a second act, in the hope that it would help him say "Blu" instead of "Rachel." During the wait, you could see that Blu's facial expressions and body language were negative and that she was more than likely boiling inside. Finally, Joey said that Blu was going home! Good choice America!

As expected, Blu was not a happy camper and decided to go out with a bang. A negative one that is. She once again let it all out, without censoring herself, and told the judges exactly what she thought. Joey was out of words and didn't know how to react. You could see he was uncomfortable while she spoke her mind. Of course, comments about Blu over the Celebrity Circus website are not supportive of the singer. Some use the words "whining diva," "arrogant and rude," etc.

Celebrities who agree to be on this type of show usually do this to get exposure and gather some new fans. Just look at how Dancing with the Stars helped put back some actors on the map. Blu Cantrell surely accepted the Circus gig for the same reasons. So why act that way in front of the cameras? Doesn't she have "people" to tell her how to act and react when on a show like this? Didn't anyone told her that her behavior last week was inappropriate and that she needed to watch her mouth this week in order to do some damage control? Does she think that acting that way is good to her career?

Celebrity Circus may not be the greatest show out there but the celebrities, except for Blu, are showing dedication, effort, and perseverance. They all take the judges comments properly (even if they don't agree) and try to improve. Without Blu, the show can only get better.

What do you think of the show? Do you think Blu reacted properly or that she should learn some manners? Let your voice be heard in comments below.

Riley Freeman

i checked last night but didnt see them on youtube. ill check later on today.

I should have known you were canadian with the french last name. im born and raised in montreal but now reside in toronto

June 20 2008 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Riley Freeman's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Yep, I'm French Canadian.

I just checked YouTube too and the clips aren't there yet...

June 20 2008 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

im in canada cant watch those clips. for some reason canada is blocked from watching american tv shows online. i dont get why but we are

June 19 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Riley Freeman's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I'm from Canada too. We are blocked for legal reasons. I don't know the exact law that applies here though but I've read that somewhere on one of the network sites.

The clips are surely on YouTube now.

June 20 2008 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

not that either of them are the biggest of stars but..... you never hearing of blu cantrell, bob never hearing of spencer pratt (thought that was a big shocker)... you'ld think a tv blog writer would have some idea whats happening (or in blu's case, happened) in the pop culture world.

June 19 2008 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

this show is an idiot-fest

June 19 2008 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I have no desire to watch this show, but I just had to say....

Her name is Blu.

Can't say I have high expectations for someone named Blu. ;-)

June 19 2008 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

Thanks Isabelle Carreau

Im at work and they block all video sites pretty much. DEFINITELY youtube if its a youtube video. So ill have to check it out when I get home.

deebopalula

yes hit em up style was catchy but I personally found it annoying. and ur right too much fakeness and I also found she looked wayyyy too much like Faith (biggie's former wife)

June 19 2008 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Wow, that was not a special performance. Reminds me of the twits on American Idol (in the beginning city-to-city search) when the judges let them know how awful they really are.

My initial reaction was, "It took you 8 weeks to master that?"

June 19 2008 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

p.s. i have never watched this show i didnt even know it existed and i dont even know what its about. and i wished u posted what she said

June 19 2008 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Riley Freeman's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I can't post what she said because it's not suitable ;) She didn't use curse words mind you. But if you want a taste of it, watch the second video I embedded in the post.

June 19 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

She may have been a one hit wonder, but it was a great hit. I just went to All Music Guide to refresh my memory on that song ("Hit Em Up Style (Oops)") and the pictures of her there look like a COMPLETELY different person - long straight blonde hair, blue eyes (yeah, I know, weave and contacts) but completely different skin tone too. You'd never guess it was the same person.

June 19 2008 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

seriously? who cars. shes a one hit wonder that hasnt done anything in forever. she was another one that stripped before singing her pics are all over the net. i dont even know why she got the gig. she worse than washed up. shes a never was

June 19 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply