September 2, 2014

Fugitive fans ticked at CBS; CBS responds

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 19th 2008 4:20PM

The Fugitive DVDBy now, TV fans are getting used to some of their favorite shows being edited when they are released on DVD. Sometimes this is because syndicated versions of the shows are used (why I have no idea) and sometimes it's because they couldn't get the rights to use certain music/songs on the DVD so they have to take them out and/or replace them with different music. It's this latter point that has fans of The Fugitive up in arms.

For the release of The Fugitive: Season Two, Volume One (oh, I hate these volume releases, but that's for another post), CBS Home Entertainment not only replaced music in certain scenes and certain episodes, they completely stripped all of the music (except the title theme) from certain episodes and did it over with soundalike versions. They also replaced the music that plays over the closing credits.

CBS has issued a response, which pretty much says that they couldn't figure out who owned the music cues on certain episodes so they couldn't use the music, but at the same time didn't want to delay the release.

Hopefully, when music is used on new shows, part of the deal that is negotiated at the start is the use of the music in a future DVD release. At least I hope this is what happens now.

John M.

Lawyers have screwed enough things in this country, I will not buy the new Fugitve Dvd's if the orignal music is not the same I enjoyed this show growing up and also enjoyed the music that went with it. Viacom CBS has done enough screwing up good things like their Radio Stations, in 2005 they killed 101 WCBS FM and brought in JACK, well last summer they brought back the Greatest Hits, but it is not the same.

June 27 2008 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

No they won't butcher My Name Is Earl. MNIE is a newer show that would have had DVD release as part of it's music contracts, something that all shows from the past 7 years have had.

June 21 2008 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Torrents. Problem solved! Let them wallow in their own stupid legal messes.

June 21 2008 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

I can actually understand older shows having issues with music -- and for the most part it is easier for an older show to just replace the music cause even at 32 I'm still too young to of seen the original "The Fugitive". I agree it sucks, and hate it when music is changed. Certain songs in certain scenes can really move you and it's a shame that execs just don't see that.

It seems crazy to hear that a show made in the last five years would have to change music -- that should be settled and if you can't use it in original broadcast, dvd and syndication then pick another song.

I remember hearing about how music rights held up 90210 from being released-- and I know they changed some songs. I remember how that pi-sed me off -- not just cause I have a crazy love for the show. But what got me mad was that that show helped launch a lot of groups in it's day. Without 90210 some groups might not of ever had a hit. It just made me think that some people were ungrateful- yes I know they have to get paid

anyways -- lets hope shows today get the rights issue out of the way. It's weird cause I really don't listen to the radio anymore - a lot of my music I hear on shows and it moves me and then I buy it, which leads me to buy more from that performer or find out about other artists

June 20 2008 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

This is really crass by CBS Video. They should have just waited till they had the releases cleared up. Rushing it out served only their financial interests, not those of fans of this great show. I find it bizarre that producers of today's shows -- like the How I Met Your Mother cited -- don't negotiate rights to a song throughout all permutations. If you can't get those rights, use another song. This is just stupid, and sadly, another instance of why the music business is so screwed up. Like the RIAA going after people for downloading music as if they're bootleggers. Geez.

June 19 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I don't believe it for a second when cbs says they don't know who owns the music in certain episodes of their shows. You know they probably have 20 copies of contracts showing which songs were used on which episodes and who owns the rights to those songs. They are just trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of their shows. They are putting their greed ahead of product quality. I hate to think of how bad My Name Is Earl is gonna be on dvd. They use 4 or 5 good songs per episode. You just know nbc is gonna butcher that show all to hell.

June 19 2008 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shrike

If they can't figure out who has the rights, just use the music. Someone WILL sue them for it, then they can just settle - problem solved =)

June 19 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NearFar

This isn't new to me from CBS. CBS took out a song by Death Cab for Cutie during How I Met Your Mother and it was probably one of the most fitting music for the scene (Where Ted first saw Victoria) and then the conclusion of that ark on the next episode where they kissed with a song by Stephen Malkus came up... and they stripped that and put up some lame, soulless song when they kissed.

June 19 2008 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

It is absolutely ridiculous. At the very least, I hope most higher budget show arrange to have comprehensive rights to music they use, but I know cheaper shows don't. Wonderfalls had to replace several of the songs on their DVD release. I think Supernatural did too.

It really is insane. We should have a copyright model that allows anybody to use any work, with a preset amount that the content creator gets for that usage, that is much lower than they get today.

June 19 2008 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply