November 24, 2014

It's Friday and there's no Galactica. What will we do?!

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jun 20th 2008 12:57PM
bsg earth
Get ready for many, many Friday nights of having to find something better to do than sit in front of television to watch Battlestar Galactica. You could always dig into your past-season DVDs to reminisce on what's happened before ("and will happen again?") or simply watch BSG online. There's also the unimaginable: spending time with friends and loved ones, stepping out of the house or, gods forbid, getting some extra sleep.

While we all think of what to do with that extra hour we have every week, let's go over a few things going on since last week's mid-season finale.

Ron D. Moore is once again quite behind on his podcasts. The official site shows the latest published podcast as 'Faith', though the link there is broken and it does not appear in my iTunes subscription. I'll continue to post "recaps" of the podcasts as they come out (and as I make time to listen to them). In the meantime, you can catch up on what I've already recapped or go give them a listen for yourself.

Many commenters believe that the devastated planet we saw at the end of the 'Revelations' episode was not Earth. The letter I received from Jane Espenson gave this theory more support, as did a recent interview ComicMix did with Mark Verheiden. In essence, nobody associated with the show is talking.

If you're familiar with how Ron Moore answers these sorts of questions, you'll know he'd most likely answer the question "is that Earth?" with a definitive answer of "yes" if it is, in fact, Earth.

What about the "dying leader" that was prophesied to never see Earth? Is the prophecy false? And could it be that Lee is that dying leader, now that he's acting president?

It looks like most signs are pointing to the commenters being right: that is not Earth the humans and Cylons landed on.

If that's not Earth, then what is it? Some commenters say it's "Terra," which, as far as I know, is just another name for Earth. Is it perhaps a colonized Mars, far in our future, which would account for the constellation matches?

So many questions, yet so much time to ponder them. So, let's go with a poll for now; I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

Was that Earth the humans and Cylons landed on?
Yes. That was Earth as we know it.258 (49.9%)
No. That was a different planet entirely.106 (20.5%)
Technically it was Earth, just not the original one.153 (29.6%)

FordPrefectFord

I didn't see a large, gray moon. Nothing says "Earth" like her moon.

June 29 2008 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diamond

6 Months wasn't it to the next episode... Dam that's ages...

I'm going to watch the entire series over again in the meantime...

Maybe areas of 'Earth' have survived, like they'll get in there ships and fly for a bit over the terrain and Bam! So that's where the party is. Maybe they just flew into a bombsite so to speak... :)

June 24 2008 at 5:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Desmond

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
The Final Cylon is Cottle.
And now I have even more proof.
Come here to check out my proof:

June 21 2008 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Desmond's comment
bsgfan2003

Hair evidence - I like it.

June 22 2008 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tonya

I have to agree with Cody, except for one thing. I think there on Earth in New York, and the twisted metal we saw was what was left of the Brooklyn Bridge. In the background it looks like there are some destroyed skyscrapers. And as far as Starbuck being the "harbinger of death", maybe she was the catalyst for whatever happend to Earth. Of course I could be completely wrong.

June 21 2008 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

just saving my password on my new laptop

June 21 2008 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

Lee isn't acting president anymore is he? I thought Roslin got power back.

June 21 2008 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Anyone heard anything in the way of casting for the next season? (It might as well be considered next season--why do they insist on calling them half seasons? Hell, we're going to go through three season--summer, fall and winter--and have to wait nearly a year). My thinking is, if this is Experiment in Terra (Terah-Earth), then they are going to have to introduce some new characters for them to encounter on whatever planet it is they are on...

June 21 2008 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I think it is Earth. In my view, it essentially a comment on our present civilization on this planet. The human fleet chases the prophecy of Earth, a promise land, across the galaxy, only to find that the humans there have killed themselves. I'm pretty sure that was a cross, and this might be a stretch but I felt that this was the Vatican we were seeing, flooded over from something like global warming...anyway I thought it was an awesome ending to the season..when's the second half start up again?

June 21 2008 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAW

I, too, have no idea what to do tonight, and I miss the podcasts as well.

As for the dying leader... I think the one in the prophecy (made by a Cylon, remember) was Natalie, the Six that Athena killed.

June 20 2008 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MAW's comment
Mr. S

I dunno Michael. Natalie wasn't so much dying as just plain dead. Fine one minute, pushing up daisies the next. Roslyn is definitely dying.

But I've certainly been known to be wrong.

June 21 2008 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAW

I, too, have no idea what to do tonight, and I miss the podcasts as well.

June 20 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply