November 21, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 16 Revealed

by Kristin Sample, posted Jun 20th 2008 9:41AM
Shane Sparks(S04E09) Mia cried. Mary kept relatively quiet (Thank God!). Nigel lectured. Cat wore a green dress. And we eliminated another two dancers last night on So You Think You Can Dance. Off we go!

Opening Performance
"Elevator" by Flo Rida featuring Timbaland (choreographer: Shane Sparks)

What a great hip-hop performance! And I'm so glad that Shane Sparks is lending his expertise to the show again. I was worried he'd be totally wrapped up in America's Best Dance Crew this summer. The girls part on the floor was great but a few of them messed up the arm movements. The best part of the piece was Comfort with the three guys. It was near perfect. My eyes never left Comfort. I wasn't impressed with her krumping on Wednesday but this opener proved to me why she's there.

Also, what did you think of the girls' costumes? I liked the guys' costumes. The suits were a little predictable but a nice blend of colors. But the with the girls, I was undecided. I'm not sure about those corsets. I wonder if they were restricting, which can be especially limiting considering the amount of chest isolations hip-hop dance usually requires.

Who's Dancing for Their Life?

Katee and Joshua [SAFE]
Twitch and Kherrington [SAFE]
Chelsea and Thayne [BOTTOM THREE]
Chelsea and Mark [SAFE]
Matt and Kourtni, bottom three last week [SAFE]
Will and Jess, bottom three last week [SAFE]
Susie and Marquis [BOTTOM THREE]
Chris and Comfort [BOTTOM THREE]
Courtney and Gev [SAFE]

Guest Performers

Timo Nuñez, "America's Number One Flamenco Dancer," performed as the night's special guest dancer. Why was he sweaty before he started dancing? I guess it was just for effect. He's got some body though. I didn't mind the sweaty abs. I don't think very many ladies did. His flamenco was great. I'm really happy that So You Think You Can Dance added this feature to the results show. I hope they have some good tappers lined up; tap dance is always sorely under-represented on this show.

Flo Rida performed a single called "In the Air" from his debut CD. I was bored watching him walk around the stage in his sneakers with no laces and lip sync. Not impressed at all. He did have on cool sunglasses though.

The Solos

Chelsea T. performed a contemporary solo to "Time is Now" by Moloko. It was fierce. She has such gorgeous legs and really makes eye contact with the audience. Her outfit was well-chosen too. I hate when female contemporary dancers cover their legs or wear some fluffy baby doll dress. It makes them look shorter. Chelsea's costume suited her body and complimented her lines. However, Nigel said that if she wanted to stay, she'd better step up.

Thayne danced a contemporary piece to "Belief" by Gavin DeGraw. It was forgettable. Too much running around the stage with his arms outstretched. I get it. You have a flexible back. And why does he smile the whole time? I don't think every piece needs a big ear-to-ear grin like that. Nigel commented that Thayne had a "great spirit on stage."

Susie danced a salsa (or whatever she calls it) to "The Anthem" by Pitbull featuring Lil' Jon. She was interesting to watch, but I think she needed to do some more turns or extensions. Also, her legwarmers cut off the line of her leg. And with Latin dance, I think you need to see long, toned legs that finish in high heels. Think Heidi from season two. Nigel added that she didn't use the stage.

Marquis danced to "Stop and Stare" by OneRepublic. This could have been amazing. With his technique and such a moving song, he could have rocked that stage. Instead his beautiful jumps and turns were lost amidst flips and contortionist-looking extensions. Nigel maintained that the solo contained too many tricks and not enough dance.

Comfort was great in her hip-hop routine to "Planet Rock" by Afrika Bambaata. The judges were less enthused though. Nigel wondered if her injury was affecting her. In fact, they only kept her in the competition because of her performance in the Shane Sparks piece. (Note: I just have to point out that I wrote that bit up top about Comfort in the Shane Sparks opening before Nigel said anything at the end of the show. Just had to pat myself on the back for a second.)

Chris danced to "Again" by John Legend. His contemporary piece finally got Nigel to say that he had some personality. It was beautifully done too. He combined nice lines with some interesting undulating movements.

The Elimination

In the end, the judges eliminated Susie and Marquis from the competition. Wow, another couple eliminated. Once again, no one has to get a new partner.

Who had the best solo?
Marquis101 (33.2%)
Susie13 (4.3%)
Chelsea75 (24.7%)
Comfort64 (21.1%)
Chris28 (9.2%)
Thayne23 (7.6%)

Aurocks

OMG MARGUIS WAS THE BEST HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN VOTED OFF AND I KNOW HIM I DANCED WITH HIM A ROBIN DAWN

June 22 2008 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

I like chris and i'm glad that he made it. These is the first season of SYTYCD that i have seen, and i'm lovin it. Is usual that the couples get eliminated at the same time or is just coincidance?, just wondering :)

June 20 2008 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nattyff's comment
Jessica

It is coincidence - but I think happens more often than not in the beginning of the top 20 eliminations.

June 23 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I want Chris gone. I find him the most annoying dancer from the bunch. And now that my other least-liked dancer is gone (Susie) I just hope that Chris says goodbye next week.

June 20 2008 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

The judges (and America) made the right choices last night.

GO GEV!!!!

June 20 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I was sure before the solos that Marquis and Susie would go home. After the solos, I thought - Chris has to go. (And Chris is one of my favs). I do not see where there was ANY passion in his solo. I was glad to see him stay, but I really think Marquis got the shaft. Neil stayed around last year mostly because of his tricks (and looks). We had already seen Marquis do his perfect technique dancing and knew it was in him - the judges should have kept that in mind. Marquis just got shafted.

June 20 2008 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I think America and the Judges made the right choices.

Marquis - his solo was too tricked out.

Susie - She was Susie. I wanted to love her and her spiciness, but she seemed to lose it and routine wasn't as hot as it could have been.

Comfort - I thought I was over her, but she is really a great Hip Hop girl. However, if I hear anymore wild kudos to her for doing an OK job in a different style, I will be over her for good.

Chelsea T - her outfit wasn't good - I thought she might have been wearing men's tighty-whities. If she would have chosen a different color - then I wouldn't have anything to say. Her underwear made me watch and wonder. As a dancer, she doesn't command the stage - IMO.

YEA Chris - I am slowly falling for this guy. I can't wait to see him in his own style choreographed by one of the people on the show or even Broadway. He is high energy. I hope he can find his way out from Comfort's shadow.

Thayne - I get the whole competition dancer thing from him.

While I agree adding the highlighting of dance styles is great - last night's was OK. I think they should have included a woman flamenco dancer. Would have made for some excellent "foreplay". I too want to see some great tappers. I love tap and it is the only kind of dancing that I still do from way been when. I don't have taps anymore, but the original Doc Marten boots do a pretty good job on the wood floor in my kitchen - I drive my kids nuts!

I love SYTYCD - Go Chelsie, Mark, Kourtni, Twitch, Josh, Katee, and Kherington!!

June 20 2008 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I think America and the Judges made the right choices.

Marquis - his solo was too tricked out.

Thayne - I get the whole competition dancer thing from him.

June 20 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply