November 27, 2014

The new Match Game celebrity panel

by Brett Love, posted Jun 20th 2008 12:21PM

Bob Einstein as Super DaveIt certainly won't be the only factor, but the choices made for just who makes up the celebrity panel will go a long way in deciding the fate of this latest incarnation of the classic show. With that in mind, here is the celebrity panel from the recently taped pilot: Sarah Silverman, Norm MacDonald, Bob Einstein (Super Dave!), Scott Thompson (Kids In The Hall), Rashida Jones (The Office), and Niecy Nash (Reno 911). Andrew Daly (Crossballs) is the host.

How does that lineup grab ya? To me, it's not bad. The Reuters article asks if Sarah Silverman is the new Brett Somers or Norm MacDonald is the new Richard Dawson. In a word, no. You just can't fight that kind of nostalgia. So many of us have seen the classic episodes so many times, and have such fond memories of them, that I don't think there is anything they could possibly do to begin to live up to the original.

Considering that, there really is no perfect cast. Silverman and MacDonald will grab the bulk of the headlines about the new show, but I'm more intrigued by the other four. The addition of Einstein and Thompson adds a quirky flair that I wasn't expecting, and I find both of them to be hilarious. I've been watching Einstein as Super Dave for so long I can almost convince myself he was on the original Match Game.

Jones is also a surprise, because it never would have occurred to me to cast her in this. Given her recent success on The Office, I would think panelist on a TBS game show wouldn't have made it past her agent. Perhaps I'm just not giving enough credit to Unhitched for this latest decision. Niecy Nash is the biggest wild card for me for the simple fact that I've only ever seen her on Reno 911.

And what of Andrew Daly as host? That's a tough gig. Gene Rayburn is the man, and those are shoes that will be mighty tough to fill. If you have to try it though, I'm glad they're going with someone new to the game-show hosting gig. He does lack experience, but he's a funny guy with a lot of potential. Before you dismiss him, just think, it could have been Mark Walberg. So, maybe it could be better, and it damn sure could be worse. I think there's enough there to make this latest incarnation worth a look. How about you?

What do you think of the new panel?
Great, can't wait.60 (40.0%)
Good enough, I'll give it a try.75 (50.0%)
Oy, this panel stinks like _____.15 (10.0%)

DMD

Jimmy Pardo was ROBBED !!

July 18 2008 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Well they just gained a viewer. I will watch anything that has Sarah Silverman on it.

Also Super Dave, Norm, and Scott Thompson. I don't think they could have picked a better cast if they tried.

June 21 2008 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I don't think this would be a permanent panel and I hope they do rotate at least three of the stars like on the original. You have to have a couple of regulars - and I'd like to see Scott Thompson stay on - but some of those people have regular jobs on other networks - Nash has a new show on Fox in the fall, for example - so I don't see them all doing Match Game all the time. Sarah Silverman, unfortunately, is the only one who would keep me from watching if she stayed on as a regular. She can be funny, but she also has some terribly mean humor that will turn many people off. But I'll give it a shot - at least once. Anyone know when we'll see it grace the airwaves?

June 20 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michele

Is Bob Einstein Albert Brooks' brother?

Niecy Nash was on Clean House - Style Network, right? She may be hilarious, but I think she has high potential to annoy.

June 20 2008 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Well they just lost a viewer. I will never watch anything that has Sarah Silverman on it.

June 20 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Love Bob Einstein on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Arrested Development". Also, big Scott Thompson "Kids in the Hall" fan ... So this might work. Why not?

June 20 2008 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone ... 30-35 years later Match Game is still highly entertaining. Redoing it is unnecessary.

June 20 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply