October 24, 2014

Was Sex and the City really better than Star Trek: TNG?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 20th 2008 4:44PM

EWAnother week, another list issue of Entertainment Weekly.

I'm not sure what to make of all of these lists. We do them here too, but it seems to me the more giant lists that are done the more meaningless they become. This EW issue is "The New Classics," the 1000 best TV shows, movies, books, and music of the past 25 years. Since this is a television blog, I won't get into their book, movie, and music picks (but if I can just say as a side note, they pick both Clueless and The Naked Gun before L.A. Confidential?!), but let's talk about their TV choices.

And argue about those choices in the comments, of course.

First, that headline: yes, they really do pick Sex and the City before Star Trek: The Next Generation. SATC comes in at number five, while ST: TNG comes in at number 24. Now, there are those who say that I shouldn't pick this example out of the article because SATC was a woman-oriented half hour about relationships and sex and fashion and ST: TNG was a male-oriented hour about aliens and exploding starships. Fair enough, but this is a numbered list and they want you to see these in this order. It's their choices, and they decided to put each show in a certain place, so I think the example is fair.

Also note that SATC comes before Lost, Arrested Development, The Office (both versions), 30 Rock, Everybody Loves Raymond, Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Larry Sanders Show, NYPD Blue, The West Wing, NewsRadio, Oz, Deadwood, and dozens of others.

In fact, here's a list of shows that didn't even crack the top 50: Battlestar Galactica, NewsRadio, Everybody Loves Raymond, MST3K, The Office (US version), and The Golden Girls.

Some of the choices are predictable yet accurate: The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Friends, The X-Files, and Buffy all made the top ten, and the issue overall is one of those fun issues to read while you're eating or on the toilet. But it's also going to cause a lot of TV fans to slap their heads in a "what are they thinking?" sort of way.

(The issue does have a funny pictorial: Rainn Wilson dressed up as classic TV characters, including Xena, MacGyver, Jean-Luc Picard, and Paulie Walnuts.)

CRVBOY

Why was that horrid piece o' crap "Seinfeld" #2? It shouldn't be on the list. Buffy was 1000000 times better. And Battlestar should have been up there. SATC - shouldn't have been. Glad to hear that whiney "Raymond" was left off. That show was annoying.

Where was "Angel"? There are so many other shows that should be higher on the list then they were, or should be on the list that weren't. Obviously the folks at Entertainment Weekly don't know what they're talking about.

June 23 2008 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmt

Why wasn't American Gothic on the list?

June 21 2008 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Saw the list-didn't think much of it. It felt more like a popularity contest than a true consideration of quality.

June 20 2008 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to C C's comment
Joanna

Agreed. That list as well as many others in that issue were simply ridiculous.

June 22 2008 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

While I agree SATC has probably had a huge culturasl influence, I think Arrested Development will be the show most revered in 10 years' time.

June 20 2008 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Edd's comment
Oreo

And I think pigs will be flying.

June 22 2008 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

And I think you're missing out

June 22 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

June 20 2008 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj green's comment
ryan

"Oh, please. The show was about 4 women who whined a lot, and spent way too much on clothes and shoes. I tried watching it, and couldn't stand it. It was fake. These weren't real women. They were plastic dolls. What a joke."

Wait... Are you talking about Golden Girls or Sex in the City? I'm confused...

June 20 2008 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

I think I might be sick!!
I as a woman- enjoyed TNG way better than SAC!!

I always wonder who pick this crap! From the AOL best restaurant City Guide to these dumb lists!
WHAT THE FRACK!!

June 20 2008 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Golden Girls isn't in the top 50?! That show is loved by everyone.

And Star Trek: TNG also came in 20-something the last time they did a list, I guess they don't want to move it.

But Sex and The City?!?! Dear god! Number 5!!!

June 20 2008 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Oreo's comment
ac

I didnt realize the term "everyone" meant only the world population over 55.

June 20 2008 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I'm almost 23, so yeah... everyone. My grandparents love it and most of my friends do too, it's a universal show.

June 20 2008 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply