October 25, 2014

I'm psyched for another session of In Treatment

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 21st 2008 8:02AM
In TreatmentI squealed with delight upon learning that I'll have the pleasure of more therapy sessions with Dr. Paul Weston. In other words, HBO has renewed the half-hour drama In Treatment for a second season.

Is it bad that I'm overly excited by this news? Clearly, I need to get out more. But the soulful doctor, played by the even-more-soulful Gabriel Byrne, has got the art of listening down to a science. He can be my therapist any day.

Based on the Israeli series Betipul, the show follows the psychoanalyst through his week in a real-time scenario. From Monday through Thursday, we get to eavesdrop on sessions with each of his patients. On Friday, Paul meets with his own therapist, Dr. Gina Toll, played by the always wonderful Dianne Wiest. It's a fascinating look into the minds of both patients and therapists.

The second season of In Treatment will feature a whole new set of clients for Paul, and I can't wait to see who they are. HBO is also moving production of the show from Los Angeles to New York. Production on the new season is scheduled to start in the fall for a 2009 premiere.

Executive producer Warren Leight, who recently inked a deal with HBO, will helm the season, along with Rodrigo Garcia, Hagai Levi, Stephen Levinson, and Mark Wahlberg.

Susan

I am so happy to see this show return. I loved every episode and thought Gabriel Byrne was absolutely fantastic playing the part of Dr. Paul. My favorite patient had to be Sophie.......that actress actually has an Australian accent if you ever see her outside of the show. She, along with Gabriel should get Emmy's!!!

July 27 2008 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Yay! This show got really good about 3 weeks in. The character I didn't like at the beginning grew on my.

June 22 2008 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

I'm only 9 episodes in but I can already tell this is going to be one of my favourite dramas. I am really enjoying this show and feel as though I finally have another HBO show to sink my teeth into. Nothing has really grabbed me since Six Feet Under and Carnivale left the shop.

June 21 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

I'm thrilled by this news. Byrne was amazing and complex as Paul, and the show eventually made me care about each patient. Even the couple, who I was alternately disliking and bored with until about halfway through.

Good show, great writing, and Byrne deserves a lot of the credit for bringing depth to the character.

June 21 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

That is exciting news! I will be so happy to see both of these two excellent actors return. I was so unhappy to see the very talented Diane Wiest get ignominiously booted from Law & Order. I hadn't seen Gabriel Byrne before "In Treatment," but he is certainly one of my favorites now.

June 21 2008 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply