August 1, 2014

A preview of ABC's new stunt show WipeOut - VIDEO

by Kristin Sample, posted Jun 24th 2008 10:03AM
"We wanted to show all of the fun of Fear Factor, but none of the gross," says executive producer Matt Kunitz of WipeOut. ABC's new summer reality series will feature 24 contestants who race on the world's largest extreme obstacle course. Now, this isn't like American Gladiators. WipeOut, hosted by John Henson (Talk Soup) and John Anderson (SportsCenter), wanted average people to compete on their show. Kunitz says that he specifically didn't want any extreme athletes. Somewhere Bam Margera and Steve-O are crying.

Mahalo Daily took a trip to the gigantic set of ABC's new summer show. That day, they were testing the storm simulator. It costs $100,000 just to turn on. Mahalo Daily also talked to the casting director (for those of you who are interested in trying out for season two). The video is after the jump.

WipeOut premieres tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET / PT on ABC. Will you be tuning in?

Joyce

Is the writer's strike still on? If you're going to rip off a TV show (MXC), at least steal the part about them that's good...the dubbed funny comments.

June 25 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

I loved MXC, but I'm not sure I'll be watching this. Hopefully, these hosts will make the innuendos the MXC hosts did.

June 24 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Skunk Boy!

June 24 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Judging from the commercials, this appears to be a blatant rip of Takeshi's Castle, a.k.a. MXC. They have the same obstacles, and the goal of the show is to be silly. I'm willing to watch, but I have a problem with ABC passing it off as a new concept.

June 24 2008 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheH2s

It's trying to be MXC but without all the enuendo's. I saw a commercial for it and they are trying to be funny but it didn't work as well being on network tv.

I'll be DVR'ing it though.

June 24 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty

This is another Japanese import, or in this case adaptation. It is MXC from Spike re-done. Not having seen it yet I won't pass judgement, but I fear it has lost a lot what I love about the Japanese version and MXC (the crazy characters and the funny over-dubbind).

June 24 2008 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply