July 29, 2014

No surprise there: Disney working on a Camp Rock sequel

by Brad Trechak, posted Jun 24th 2008 4:28PM
Jonas BrothersWhat should come as no surprise to anybody: Disney is now hard at work to the sequel of its High School Musical trilogy follow-up, Camp Rock. The Disney Channel is hoping to broadcast the sequel in spring or summer of 2009.

The first Camp Rock debuted to 8.9 million viewers on Friday night, the second highest viewership ever for the network (but still far below the 17.2 million they got for High School Musical 2).The movie stars the Jonas Brothers (Joe, Kevin and Nick), who had a following before the movie was released. With that in mind, shouldn't the ratings have been even higher? Maybe it's just that they're no Zac Efron.

With the High School Musical phenomenon moving to theaters, Disney does have to do something to pick up the slack. Admittedly, I am not the target demographic for this genre, but it was once described to me as "this generation's Grease", which seemed pretty accurate. Although, to my knowledge, Grease didn't spawn these sort of copycat milk-it-till-it's-dead follow-ups.

Bukster

Nice to see Adrian Zmed can still get work

June 25 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony Scida

My kids are a little younger than the target audience for these movies, but we watched Camp Rock this weekend. I've seen TV Squad quote the Friday premiere numbers a few times, but I'm curious what kind of audience the ABC showing got.

June 24 2008 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

2 of the Jonas Bros names is Nick!? thats hilarious! how do they tell each other apart?

June 24 2008 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kemp

I am not in the target demo for these either, but my daughters are, and even they were not impressed with Camp Rock.

Camp Rock is to HSM 1 and 2 what Grease 2 was to Grease.

Now let's all sing "Reproduction"!

June 24 2008 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

You spelled "surprise" wrong.

June 24 2008 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Allison's comment
Joel Keller

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that one out Allison. I took care of it for Brad.

June 24 2008 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Even Michelle Pfeiffer couldn't save that one.

June 24 2008 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

"Although, to my knowledge, Grease didn't spawn these sort of copycat milk-it-till-it's-dead follow-ups."

That's because the sheer awfulness of "Grease 2" killed that golden goose.

June 24 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply