April 21, 2014

The Mole: Episode 4

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 24th 2008 9:23AM

The Mole cast

(S05E04) "In my everyday life, the only place I hike to is Bloomingdale's." - Nicole

Wow, I think a lot of people lost their Mole pools tonight.

But before we get to that, let's talk about those journals. I think tonight showed that, if the rules allow it (though Nicole is always bending the rules), players on this reality show should make duplicate copies of what they write in their journals. Or tear out important pages and stuff them down your sock or something. To some players, the journals are more of a pain because there's too much info and they'd rather keep it in their head. To others, the journals are their lifelines in this game, and those players were probably very stunned tonight.

Hey, the show is in Argentina now! That's great, because I didn't want every episode set in Chile. The players are in Argentina, and the first challenge is "The Midas Rush." The teams separate into two groups, the Selfish and the Selfless (Paul is on the selfless team??). They have to carry bars of gold up the mountain in backpacks and in their hands. The team up the mountain first gets an exemption. Of course, it's not as easy as that. Jon explains that the team has to figure out which person gets the exempton, or no one gets it and they don't get the money ($250 for each bar). Clay says he wants the exemption, which some find as suspicious. But they agree and he is safe. The players earn $14, 250.

Meanwhile, Craig dies.

OK, he doesn't, but the big guy hardly makes it up the mountain without passing out, and when the team gets down to the bottom again, Craig is in and out of consciousness and an ambulance is called. He's given oxygen and is sent to the hospital, which upsets the rest of the players on the ride back. Craig shows up at the cabin later and says that he has to take it easy. During this entire time, I looked really carefully to see if I could find some clue that this was all fake, like the oxygen mask wasn't hooked up to anything or the window of the ambulance had a sign that said "Mole Onboard," but no such luck. It would be a good way to hide out if Craig is the Mole, and a great way for him to rest and regroup his thoughts if he isn't.

At dinner, Jon takes the players journals and leaves. The contestants wonder what's up and if they'll get them back. Jon returns and they play a "Who Said That?" game. During the game, Nicole purposely coughs and blinks her eyes rapidly to tip off Kristin that she said one of the quotes. It's painfully obvious, so Jon takes that money away. Did she do this because she's the Mole, wants to make people think she's the Mole, or she's just devious in general? Hmmmm.

Jon leads the group outside to a fire and asks for one person to sacrifice his journal. After some talk and odds/evens, Alex gives his to Jon. But there's a twist: the person giving the journal keeps their journal, and the rest of the team journals are burned on a table in a (very dramatic) fire. The team thinks this sucks, especially Mark, who slightly freaks out and goes missing for a while. Again, is he really this way or is he the Mole? He certainly did write a lot in that thing.

So, did you pick Victoria as the Mole? I had it narrowed down to Mark and Victoria, and now I'm only left with Mark, because Victoria was executed! I thought she could have been the Mole because she was kinda low key and flew under the radar. Now I know not to pick people because of that. It's funny, because Mark is one of my suspects for the opposite reason: he's over the top, a little dramatic, vocal, a little confrontational.

So Mark is still one of my top suspects, but I might even add Nicole to the list. Early on she was so blunt that it seemed like it was way too obvious for her to be the Mole, but something happened tonight I haven't figured out yet. Just before Victoria is voted out - because she finished the quiz 5 seconds slower than the person that she tied with - Nicole happened to mention that her plan was to go through the quiz really fast and hope for the best that someone else finished slower, and then a few minutes later something like that actually happens? I haven't even figured all that out yet. The Mole wouldn't do badly on the quiz, and it would be an odd bit of editing for the show to put that quote so close to what actually happens (though tricky and would throw us off), so it's a little confusing to figure out.

Oh, it can't be that obvious. I'm going with either Mark or Paul. And Mark said the word "asshole" tonight without being bleeped, which would have made George Carlin smile.

Was Craig's medical problem real?
No, he's the Mole.31 (11.3%)
No, but he's not the Mole.12 (4.4%)
Yes, but he's still the Mole.51 (18.5%)
Yes, but he's not the Mole.181 (65.8%)

San Wat

Has anyone noticed that Craig has not been mentioned during the elimination ceremonies?

June 27 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
San Wat

June 27 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lexelle

I think Kirsten is the mole. She was the one in the "selfish" team who picked up the lighter scale, leaving the heavier scale for the other team that was already struggling. In episode 2, when she was with Mark with the bike, she seemed to give up halfway up the hill. Mark had the bike but she still seemed tired and lifeless. I'm not quite sure but in the "Dress Code" challenge of Epi 3, although the 3 women seemed to have success getting clothes. One of them, either Ali or Kirsten (I can't remember which) seemed to give up all faith when they just needed a few more clothing items to complete the challenge.

So right now.... I'm thinking that Kirsten is the Mole, she stays "under the radar" socially when she's with all the other contestants and she also does or says something "molish" during the challenges.

June 25 2008 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brenth

bighans,
great post, I too noticed the baby crying, and was wondering what that was.

My main concern is that we only had 8 comments this week, and I haven't seen the promos for the show since the contestants were walking around in their underware. I just fear for the show.

Besides that, my pick, and has been since the first week is Clay. He's going to succeed in the very first individual challenge, getting the money over the falls, and stay under the radar.

So I'm confident that the show will make it through its entire run this season, but future shows???

June 25 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to brenth's comment
mb

I wondered too, where ABC's promotions and commercials for this show has been compared to the endless promos for those two idiotic "game shows" that are coming up (I won't even mention their names).

Traditionally, The Mole as a series has had a hard time getting ratings for a number of reasons. But ABC has never really promoted it very hard at all, and slow-performing shows never last. I'm very worried that ABC might repeat what they did in Season 2 (2001) and shelve it for a year or worse... cancel it.

I think it's a safe bet that we won't be seeing Season 4, and that's a damn shame.

June 25 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I'm still know the mole is Mark. The camera shot a close-up of his journal with the number 10 on it. And the close-up on the address of that theatre last week was 172. Add those 3 numbers together and thats 10. He sure was trying to throw everybody off by over-reacting when his journal got burned.

June 25 2008 at 6:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bighans

Did anyone notice the sound of a baby's cry right before they went to commercial before the quiz? It was there. Play it back on your Tivos.
My point is that Nicole is an OBGYN - delivers babies.
Also, Nicole is trying so hard to lose money and make everyone think that she is the mole that nobody really takes her seriously. It's like she's doing exactly the opposite of what you would expect from the mole. And that might actually make pretty damn good mole.

June 24 2008 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bighans's comment
tv junkie

I heard that!
I just finished the episode on abc.com and was thinking about that baby noise right before they went to commercial break. I immediately checked the profile, and sure enough, Nicole is the OBGYN.
I remembered a couples years back, after the season 2 ended, ABC posted a clip of Anderson Cooper revealing all the hidden clues about the Mole online. Most of the hidden clues were very very trivial, like blink-and-you-miss-it. One of the clues was that the ceiling decoration was in Astrology design, and it was the Mole's Astrology sign (i think it was aquarius, but i don't remember.) This year, they only gave out players' careers in their profile, so I'm thinking, baby crying = OBGYN? maybe i'm reading too much into it...because it could very well be just another transition sound beat.

June 25 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Reviewer Bob mentioned that the word "Asshole" was used tonight, but it was actually "Asshat" (verified through the closed captioning because I thought he said Asshole too).

I also didn't read Reviewer Bob's notes about Nicole and the 5 second gap between Victoria and someone else (presumably Nicole). Oh how I wish it's her having trouble, or Paul.

I wonder how Anderson Cooper would've handled these two contestants?

June 24 2008 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

I'm not sure what the reviewer has been watching because Victoria didn't fly under the radar at all so far. While she hasn't been as ridiculous as Nicole or Paul with the antics they pull (or the crap they say), she's been vocal enough to stand out in the crowd. And now she's gone.

I still say Kristen is on top of my Mole list. Now SHE flies under the radar, but is still influential enough to guide the groups one way or another. After all, she made the decision to grab the lighter scale (and slowing down the other side with Craig already wheezing up the hill).

@Mike - excellent catch with the scales == Clay clue. He's another one who flies under the radar often, but actually stood up to demand the exemption and denying Victoria hers (and she was later executed).

Question - Someone else could've been executed instead of Victoria but was saved by a margin of 5 seconds. So, who is this person who's also having trouble finding the Mole? My bet is that it's Mark who's in trouble. But I really hope it's either Paul or Nicole who's going home soon.

So who's on my Mole list?

1. Kristen - for reasons already said previously
2. Alex - doesn't draw attention but very observant
3. Clay - also doesn't stand out. Demanded exemption tho...
4. Craig - if he's the Mole, he's going to extremes to sabotage the group

Who is not the Mole?

- Nicole - Get rid of her. If she's the Mole, the producers have resorted to blatant actions to make everyone think that she's NOT the Mole. The woman is tactless and the pure opposite of "a Mole."

- Paul - See Nicole. But he sure was toned down in this episode, wasn't he? Wait until next week and his obnoxious personality will return.

- Mark - Drawing obvious attention to you as the Mole usually means that you're NOT the Mole. This technique always backfires, and both Mark and Nicole are trying to do this (although Mark isn't as blatant as Nicole).

June 24 2008 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

lol. 42 is the ultimate answer lol. but craig is the mole *my guess* because like one of them said it is the ultimate cover up of someone trying their best in the missions so noone would suspect them. or nicole becuz the puts the suspition on her so that ppl wont think she is the mole becuz she makes it so obv. whenreally she is.

June 24 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Land

I think it is Mark because he is 42 and that as everyone knows is the Ultimate Answer.

June 24 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply