July 23, 2014

HBO to release Deadwood complete series DVD set

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 25th 2008 2:02PM
Deadwood - The Complete Series
As if we didn't need more proof that those two Deadwood movies are never, ever, ever, ever going to happen, HBO announced this week that a complete series DVD set is in the works for a late 2008 release.

TVShowsOnDVD picked up on the news while attending the 2008 Entertainment Merchant Association show. Above is the proposed box art for the collection - sort of like a big book that'll hold all 36 episodes plus what's sure to be plenty of bonus features.

To be honest though, I'm not too excited by this. Deadwood is easily one of my top-15 favorite shows of all time and, even though I quote it endlessly, the more I think about it, there's not much replay value in it for me. I've seen every episode so many times and I know 'em all inside and out that I don't have much need to buy the DVD set. I suppose it's the same reason I've never bought any Seinfeld DVDs. Plus, the fact that the series isn't "finished" still chaps my ass. What about everyone else though? Is this worth the money?

ThosPaine

I've been boycotting everything associated with HBO and David Milch since they screwed everyone with the no HBO Deadwood movies. I certainly will never buy an HBO or David Milch product!!! I have a large and growing group and we pass around copies of Deadwood so that we don't spend a dime on HBO or Milch's future! We spend a lot of time developing other means to boycott these two idiots!!!

July 07 2008 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

Dearwood will always be a top show for me. I will not buy the box set though. The way it was left and abandoned for dead just leaves a bad taste in my mouth - or maybe it was Woo's funky tasting hogs - what do they feed those animals anyway?
Bring back ****ing Deadwood.

June 26 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DL

Milch and Chris Albrecht, the then-CEO of HBO, reached a handshake deal in June 2006 to make the two telepics.

About 11 months later, Albrecht choked out his girlfriend in Vegas (after an HBO fight) and had to resign. The troika that succeeded him at HBO wanted no part of the telepics, too expensive for them, and Milch lost interest in fighting for them, he's always got new stuff going on.

If Albrecht hadn't got himself canned, maybe, maybe, the pics would have gotten made when JFC tanked. But not now.

That's showbiz...

www.savedeadwood.net

June 25 2008 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kev

HBO is known for canceling great shows before its time.... Rome, Deadwood, The Wire. John from Cincinnati wasn't half bad either. Ed O'neil getting frustrated on JFC is one of the funniest moments on TV.

Well, maybe except sopranos... they should have canceled that show at the end of season 4.

June 25 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Count me as one those upset by HBO not renewing a series for it's final season. Both HBO and Milch looked stupid picking John from Cincinnati to replace Deadwood.
Deadwood was very unique and had a decent size fan base for cable show. Now we'll never have a true end.

June 25 2008 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I blame both Milch and HBO. If Milch wasn't so flaky maybe they might have backed another season. Milch himself has been quoted as saying he didn't want to go beyond a 3rd season. And always missing production deadlines and being over-budget didn't help. But HBO was looking for any chance to dump this show and decided the end of season 3 was the perfect time to do this. I guess they weren't making enough money on it or something. I guess I blame HBO more though since Milch did start fighting to bring it back. I'm still pissed off at both of them. I sure miss Al Swearingen. One of my all-time favorite tv characters.

June 25 2008 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BORDEN

I won't buy this. HBO is still on my **** list for screwing up one of the greatest series of all time. Compelling drama with plenty of humor thrown in. All of the fans want a finish to those 36 episodes. HBO blames the creator and vice versa. He wanted 10 episodes and they told him they would back only 6. He said that he could not wrap it up effectively with that number. Who's to blame? Any thoughts?

June 25 2008 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply