April 23, 2014

Michael Strahan follows in Nicole Richie's footsteps on Chuck

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 26th 2008 12:02PM
Michael StrahanAnyone who's followed the NFL over the last fifteen years knew what Michael Strahan's plans were going to be after retirement: TV, TV and more TV. It was a given; during most of his career with the Giants, Strahan loved to be in front of the camera, and often did commentary and studio gigs on his off-weeks or during the playoffs.

Now, with a Super Bowl ring in-hand, the newly-retired defensive end is making his move. Not only has he joined the FOX NFL pregame show, but he also just completed filming a cameo on the NBC geek adventure comedy Chuck. He plays Mitt, the manager of the sporting goods store that's in the same shopping center as Buy More, the store where Chuck works. He and his crew take over the home theater portion of the store during lunchtimes, playing Madden '09 and making a mess. My guess is that we'll set up a geeks vs. jocks scenario with retail being the venue, instead of the locker room.Strahan follows in the footsteps of Nicole Richie, who is set to play a guest role on the show this fall as well. Wow. Talk about a spectrum; it shows you that nerds love everyone, from the anorexic starlet to the big bruising ex-jock. It truly shows that Josh Schwartz is an equal opportunity employer.

Of course, how well they do in their respective roles is a whole other matter. Let's hope Strahan does well; I've always liked the guy and think he could do well as an actor, even with that huge gap in his front teeth.

Michael

no, I love the fact that he's working at the Sporting Goods store in the same shopping center. It actually makes perfect sense that they come in and play games on their lunch hour - the same thing happens where my son works! Cameo or no, this has potential. Heck, I'd LOVE to see Rachel Bilson come back again this season. Her role was far from "stunt casting".

June 28 2008 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

"Chuck" is mainstream BS so this fits perfectly. Opium for the people.

June 27 2008 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

In a show like "Chuck", there are going to be guest appearances every week. Even though it's a comedy, it's also kind of like a procedural in that there are new cases and new over-the-top plots with each new episode. Someone has to play these characters.

"30 Rock" uses a lot of guest stars, but they all fit within the confines of the show without seeming "Will & Grace"-y, and last season "Chuck" did a good job doing the same. Strahan's a funny guy, so I'm looking forward to his appearance on the show.

Also, since Strahan's also filmed his part, wouldn't Nicole Richie be following in HIS footsteps, not the other way around?

June 26 2008 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shmuffin123

hmmm all these guest appearances remind me of something...oh yeah....
Hello Chuck, I'd like you to meet Will & Grace.

June 26 2008 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

sorry for the typo in my previous post. I really wish I was able to go back and edit.

June 26 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I love chuck no matter what.

Jump the shark is the stupidest term in tv right now, second only to combining people's names. I wish people would get over this crap and just let the creators/show runners/writers show that they know what they're doing. Or at least give them the benifit of the doubt until the show actually airs. Chuck had a great first season (so did gossip girl and the oc lasted 4 years) so I think we owe it to josh schwartz to see how this plays out.

June 26 2008 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I'm with you, dammit.

June 26 2008 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomstick

aw why'd you have to go there about his teeth? :(

June 26 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I'll be the first to say it: "Chuck" just jumped the shark.

June 26 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply