April 23, 2014

Oz: Sometimes furry, always quotable

by Debra McDuffee, posted Jun 26th 2008 5:24PM
Seth Green as Oz in Buffy the Vampire SlayerThe greatness of the Scooby Gang on Buffy the Vampire Slayer was enhanced by the addition of Oz (Daniel Osbourne) in seasons two, three, and four. Sometimes a werewolf, mostly Willow's boyfriend, he added a new level of comedic relief to Buffy.

It wasn't the situations he was in, nor did he take the pratfall route. Oz was dry -- dry like a desert, dry like overcooked Thanksgiving turkey, dry like a leather shoe left out in the sun for several thousand years. Master of the understatement, man of few words, sarcasm blended with wit.

Arguably, Oz was the most quotable character on Buffy. For instance, when he found out vampires were real, he simply stated, "That explains a lot!" Another of my favorite Oz quotes was from season four, when Buffy was complaining about her college roommate and punching the air. Oz posits, "No one deserves mime, Buffy."

Revisit some of Oz's best quotable moments from each season he appears in and enjoy a giggle or two remembering the werewolf with a sense of humor.

Hank

Was it Oz who said the line "I'm 15. Linoleum makes me think of sex!"

June 27 2008 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Hank's comment
Mirage

Nope. That would be Xander to Cordelia on the army base.

June 27 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George McBain

Xander

June 27 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C

Oz (Daniel Osbourne) ??? No, no, Oz the incomparable (Seth Green), please!!!!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Green

June 27 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to C's comment
wraith808

Ummm... they where expanding on the Oz, not naming the character, i.e. Oz's real name is Daniel Osbourne.

July 01 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wraith808

They weren't saying that Oz was played by Daniel Osbourne- Daniel Osbourne is the character Oz's given name.

July 01 2008 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

My eyes! I can't read that page of quotes. Who makes a website with blue writing on a black background?

June 27 2008 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to leah's comment
Hank

Should have read Daniel 'Oz' Osbourne... Get an AP Style Guide, TVSquad!

June 27 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ava Vargas

What?! No mention of monkeypants in that quote selection? And how about the heartmelting "I'd still. I'd very still"?

June 26 2008 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

My favorite Oz moment was an Halloween episode where his costume was a sticker that said, "Hello, my name is..." with the name "God" written in the blank.

When asked about his costume, he mentioned the previous Halloween where people turned into whatever they were dressed as.

June 26 2008 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I go back to "Angel" again. I liked the line when Angel is finally out in the sunlight and Oz states the obvious, " He's pale. Paler then most people."

June 26 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply