July 29, 2014

The top ten comedy and drama Emmy semifinalists announced

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 26th 2008 8:12PM

EmmysThe Emmy Awards voting is different than it used to be (more steps in the voting process and a special panel watches episodes and votes after that), and last year the list of the semifinalists was leaked online before it was officially announced. Well, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences don't really want that to happen again, so they've decided to just announce the finalist list itself.

After the jump, the ten comedies and ten dramas that are semifinalists for the Emmy award this year. The list will be knocked down to five (more if there's a tie) once another round of voting is done. The nominees will be announced live on July 17, and we'll have coverage here at TV Squad.

Best Drama Semifinalists

Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Lost
Mad Men

July 02 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Academy members are so male dominated -- they overlooked The Adventures of Old Christine which was on usatoday's and EW's list of who should be nominated for the top 5. And what does How I met your mother not get nominated again?? At least, they didn't nominate overpraised The big bang theory. But I hope that James Roday of Psych, sinjin kim of Lost make the final list for acting nominees.

June 27 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jake's comment
Jesse

The common misconception about How I Met Your Mother is that it's funny. The only reason I can get through an episode is Jason Segal and NPH. As for New Adventures of Old Christine, why is Entertainment Weekly suddenly reputable?

These lists are fairly accurate and represent the best of what is out there.

June 28 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Oh please God let The Wire win this year. It won't have any more chances, and everyone who worked on that show really deserves it. I also hope Andre Royo gets an acting nomination...he has been phenomenal.

My choices for top Drama:
-The Wire
-Mad Men
-Dexter
-FNL

BSG would be my 5th choice. I haven't seen any of the others on the list so can't say anything about them.

The comedy list is awesome! FOTC, The Office, 30 Rock and CYE have all been excellent.

June 27 2008 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

No BSG or Brothers and Sisters. Who makes these selections? In any case, Lost and 30 Rock should win their respective categories hands down.

June 27 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

The only way Dexter is not in someone's top 5 is if they've never seen the show.

I so hope Michael C. Hall gets the recognition this year too. While I absolutely adore Hugh Laurie... Hall takes the cake. and sometimes the arms... always a slide of blood...

Tudors was good, but not great this season. I really really enjoyed Lost though, and feel its rightfully deserved.

I tried but could never get into Mad Men or Damages. I know I know sue me.

From what I hear, the Wire is the best show ever made, and I'll definitely start checking it out, one day.

June 27 2008 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Wow. I love television comedy and I don't watch any of them on that list. Even worse, I absolutely hate a few of those. Family Guy? Really?
I'm disappointed that How I Met Your Mother isn't on the list.

June 27 2008 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BDUB

Even though the second season was not as strong as the first I would love to see Friday Night Lights get a nomination, that show is my favorite. It would also be nice to see The Wire get some love. I must be missing out on Boston Legal it doesn't look interesting to me but it seems like it is always winning something, maybe I should check it out?

June 27 2008 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
History75

My top 5
1. 30 Rock
2.The Office
3.Weeds
4.Ugly Betty
5.Curb Your Enthusiasm

June 27 2008 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJH

Lost is the best drama AND the best comedy. It has everything.

June 27 2008 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

My top 5 dramas on this Emmy list are
LOST
Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
The Wire
Dexter

Comedies
30 Rock (Hands down the funniest on the list)

June 27 2008 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply