April 24, 2014

Doyle: Angel's quotable demon

by Debra McDuffee, posted Jun 27th 2008 3:22PM
Glenn Quinn as Doyle on AngelAll-in-all, Angel was a good series, even though it kept reinventing itself each season. The set changes (Angel's original digs, the hotel, Wolfram and Hart), the cast changes, and the character changes (Fred to Ilyria) threw off my equilibrium, sometimes leaving me longing for the security of the previous season.

One of the hardest changes for me to take was the death of Doyle, who added so much heart and humor to season one. Even sadder was that the actor who played Doyle, Glenn Quinn, went on to die a tragic death in 2002.

Although I am still wondering why "The Powers That Be" of Angel decided to eliminate Doyle's character (yeah, yeah, so Cordelia could have his visions), I can still celebrate him. Like Buffy's Oz, he was extremely quotable.

How about that creepy episode ('I Fall to Pieces') where the neurosurgeon could detach pieces of his body to stalk women? Doyle's take on that was priceless: "Not a lot of things make me shudder. But this guy? Crawling around under the covers? At least it was just his hands down there.... I wish I hadn't even thought that."

Revisit some of Doyle's greatest quotes. Did your favorite make the list?

laura

Glenn died of an overdose, and they had to write him out of the show. He wasnt "let go" and than died. listen to the commentary on "youre welcome"

June 30 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to laura's comment
Debra McDuffee

The dates just don't match up for this to be true. Doyle was killed off in season 1, episode 9, which aired November 1999. Glenn Quinn passed away in December of 2002.

Were the Angel writers psychic, heh? ;-)

June 30 2008 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

i much prefered wesley anyways!!
especially when he turned dark and kidnapped angel's baby. that was awesome!

June 30 2008 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Phish's comment
Usama

Although to be precise, the way I see it Wesley kidnapped Angel's kid because he thought he was doing a good thing. Later when Wesley realized what a bone headed move that was and how he hurt those he loved is when he became a darker character. (Add to that Gunn & Fred hooking up)

June 30 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Nelson

Doyle himself was a replacement character, for Whistler.

June 28 2008 at 6:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

Doyle was the reason I watched Angel. I tried to watch it after Doyle was killed off but I just didn't like any of the other characters enough to care what happened to them.

June 27 2008 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phorbr

Doesn't make it any less sad. He was very good. I got hooked on Angel in part because of Doyle. He was funny.Sometimes Angel needed a little comic relief.

June 27 2008 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

They got rid of Doyle because of Glenn Quinn's personal problems.

June 27 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply