September 19, 2014

Secret Diary of a Call Girl: Episode 1-03

by Kristin Sample, posted Jun 30th 2008 11:04PM

(S0E03) "If you ask them first, 90% of them will say 'No.' But hey, once it's up there..." -- Belle

Ahh, the pitfalls of being a London call girl. I'll have to remember Belle's trick for when I'm stuck with a marathon runner and I'm on someone else's clock. That someone else is Ashok. We met Belle's very first client tonight. I already hope we see more of him.

My review of Secret Diary of a Call Girl is after the jump.

First, this episode was better than last week's. I like getting know a bit more about Belle's / Hannah's character. The tidbits about her business are interesting, but you can't build a show around just that. I enjoyed getting to know Ashok a little bit too; he seems every bit as charming as she described him.

We learned a bit more about Belle / Hannah in the way that she looks at Ashok. She smiles at him as if they really do have a relationship. (Perhaps they do in a way.) They joke. She gives him a book. He knows what she drinks. Also, I found it interesting that she pointed out Ashok's wife hasn't had sex with him for years, justifying his decisions to hire a prostitute.

The "moonlighting" was quite amusing. Our London call girl doesn't sleep when she's doing all-nighters. She meets a man at the hotel bar who was hungry for a good time (and willing to pay). Belle assessed him -- apparently a man's shoes and watch will tell you how quick he is in bed. Sounds like easy money, right? When he said he was a marathon runner, I laughed out loud. It's moments like that where Billie Piper really shines. As some of you have pointed out, she's great at breaking the fourth wall. And she is. However, only some moments are really conducive to it. And it doesn't always need a one-liner. It can just be a sarcastic look.

For the past two weeks, I've noticed (and you readers, too) that Belle constantly breaks her rules. For example, this week she had a beer yet she told us last Monday that she never drinks on the job. Belle seems so meticulous about following her rules and being professional. But she's always breaking them. One of the commenters pointed out that maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. I think it's a good possibility. I just don't see what purpose that serves. Am I missing something? I guess I'll just have to get over it.

Just one more thing. I'm currently reading the real Diary. I noticed that the show glossed over what Belle puts in her bag at the beginning of the episode. Here's the passage from the Diary where she lists everything. I'm interested to her your thoughts.

Small handbags, bah. The magazines can tout this or that tiny purse of the season. But considering what I typically leave the house carrying,

a pair of folding scissors (stray threads are the enemy)
a pen (my memory is good, but not htat good)
phone (phone agency on arrival and leaving)
condoms (polyurethane as well as latex -- some people have allegries)
a spoon
bottle of lube
lipgloss (reapplying lipstick after a blowjob is too complicated)
compact and mascara
small vial of scent
tissues
spare knickers and stockings
keys, bankcards, other normal detritus
and sometimes, nipple clamps, ball gag, and a multitailed rubber whip

(Belle du Jour, page 14)

Do you mind that Belle is always breaking her rules?
No, it's fine.97 (72.4%)
A little.29 (21.6%)
Yes, it takes away from the show.8 (6.0%)

Pixie

I'm a little behind on things and just started watching the series via show time on demand... I noticed you mentioned the "real diary" could you share the link for me?

thanks
Pixie

August 03 2008 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pop Culture Curmudgeon

A spoon?

July 03 2008 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

Anyone can tell me what type of purse Belle was carrying all her stuff in? I'm trying to find a similar purse!

July 02 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I think that she was drinking water not alcohol. Thats why he got it for her and it was cute. Thats not a rule she is breaking in my opinion.

July 01 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melissa's comment
Kristin Sample

Not the drink Ashok gets for her. She has a beer later on the in episode--when she's at the bar and meets her "moonlighting" client.

July 01 2008 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Last night's episode was really terrific. I had my doubts that this show could work well here in the US since it was originally developed for the UK. It is so unique, so trailblazing and so voyeuristic, it is must see TV. Also glad to hear that there will be a second season.

July 01 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I love the episodes and I love Belle's blank looks. Plus, she has great vocal inflection. However, has anyone noticed that around the eyes, cheeks and forehead there's very little movement? She puts out so much energy, that I expect to see it reflected facially and not just in her eyes and voice -

July 01 2008 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I read somewhere that the book is a sham and that the author has never worked as a call-girl. I don't know if there's any truth to that or not. Maybe she keeps breaking her rules because they're all lies and the author told so many she couldn't keep up with all of them.

July 01 2008 at 6:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
GL

Oh, why ever would you think that?

Frankly the sordid tale of literary intrigue behind the original blog, the accused "authors", denials, etc, would make a more entertaining show.

July 01 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wardude

Kristen, Her name and the diary is written by Belle de Jour" and not Belle du Jour. You are confusing Soupe du Jour, which is soup of the day. Where as Belle de Jour is more like "Belle by day" which was the name of a well know french movie starting Catherine Deneuve, which won several awards and is considered a masterpiece, I am not aware of an english version but I have seen it with subtitles.

July 01 2008 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wardude's comment
Kristin Sample

Thanks for catching that. French prepositions get me every time. I didn't know it was Belle by day either. I did, however, know that soup du jour meant "soup of the day." ;)

July 01 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply