December 19, 2014

Sarah Silverman: best comedy actress?

by Brett Love, posted Jul 1st 2008 8:23AM

Sarah SilvermanAs the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences tries to whittle the submissions down to actual nominees, it's interesting to take a look at who has made it to the semifinals. It's not a nomination, but it's one step away. Today comes word of the finalists for best comedy actress and best supporting drama actor. There are some surprises.

Chief among those for me is Sarah Silverman. I honestly hadn't even considered her in the running. I'm not much of a fan, but I do like that she is being considered for the simple fact that the base the nominees are drawn from can always use some expansion. And if she is the most surprising inclusion, the most surprising snub just might be Teri Hatcher. Eva Longoria, Marcia Cross, and Felicity Huffman all made the cut, but not Hatcher. Ouch. The rest of the finalists, and the supporting actors from a drama, after the jump.

The complete list of finalists for comedy actress:

If I can only pick one, it would be Anna Friel. The list of supporting actors in a drama doesn't look quite as controversial, but with so few spots somebody is going to get overlooked. Lost scores two of the coveted spots, and probably the most surprising name missing from the list. Naveen Andrews and Michael Emerson are great, but I'd take Terry O'Quinn over both of them every time. Not so with the academy. The biggest surprise for me here is Bruce Dern on Big Love. The finalists:

I could have gone for Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad, but I'll take Christian Clemenson for the win, and consider it a long overdue nod to Briscoe County Jr. Members will now watch the submitted episodes for all of the finalists and rank them from 1 to 10 before the two groups are knocked down to a final list of nominees. What do you think? Who doesn't belong on the list? Who was overlooked?

AJ

Also yay for Anna Friel

July 01 2008 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

Desperate Housewives has always been a comedy for everything for some reason. Boston Legal was comedy at one point for some awards I think, but now it's drama everywhere. Brian Cranston isn't lead? And Locke hasn't been a good character this year and has gotten quite annoying so I'm glad he didn't make the cut. Michael Emmerson has a nomination all tied up due to the amazingness of his episode.

July 01 2008 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

First things first: I agree with StillBash. I've only watched Desperate Housewives once -- for about 10 minutes in the Season One, but I'm surprised to read that it is a comedy.

Secondly, these awards seem to be turning into a youth soccer league, i.e. everyone gets a trophy. Is it really "an honor just to be nominated" when there are 10 or 11 nominees in each category?

And finally, Sarah Silverman is funny (I think I am one of the few fans of her show), but I'd put my money on Tina Fey and 30 Rock.

July 01 2008 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
Paul

There are still officially only 5 (or more if tied) nominees for each category. They are only announcing the "short lists" as they recently changed the nominating process to have 2 steps, allowing for a higher likelihood that the academy members will have actually SEEN the performances of the Top 10/11 and rank them accordingly.

It's not a perfect system, but it's the reason for these semi-finalist lists.

July 01 2008 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Silverman is awesomely funny.

However, for this category I'll take JLD.

July 01 2008 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Goats

It was already announced a few days ago that Bryan Cranston made the list for Best Actor in a Drama. Why the hell would he be on the supporting list?

July 01 2008 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Goats's comment
Brett Love

If there was an official announcement of the best actor category, I missed it. The only thing I've seen with regards to that award was a prediction by a group of critics that looked to have ten actors ahead of Cranston. That's why I mention him here, hoping they could sneak him into another category for a nomination because his was one of my favorite performances.

July 01 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

Ugh, she's annoying.

July 01 2008 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I'm pleased both Blair Underwood and Bruce Dern made the top 11. I'll be ecstatic if they actually get nods.

July 01 2008 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Anna Friel! This should mean Lee Pace will also be in the shortlist for the men's. Happy days!

July 01 2008 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JFTA

I'm holding out hope that they are saving Cranston for "Lead Actor" or have they already announced those?

July 01 2008 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Since when is Desperate Housewives Comedy?!

July 01 2008 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply