April 16, 2014

TV Obits: Davis, Beckman, Furlong

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 1st 2008 10:20AM

Don S. DavisA roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.

• Don S. Davis: The veteran actor appeared on numerous TV shows over the past 25 years, including Stargate SG-1 (he played Major General George Hammond), Twin Peaks, The X-Files, The Dead Zone, Psych, Highlander, Supernatural, Flash Gordon, The West Wing, NCIS, The Chris Isaak Show, Profit, M.A.N.T.I.S., MacGyver (also serving as Dana Elcar's body double), L.A. Law, Joanie Loves Chachi, and many others. He also appeared in dozens of movies, including A League of Their Own, Con Air, Miracle, The 6th Day, Hook, The Fan, and Best In Show. He died this week at age 65.

• Henry Beckman: He appeared in tons of shows over a 50+ year acting career, including Here Come The Brides (he played Captain Clancy), Peyton Place (George Anderson), The X-Files, MacGyver, Booker, Werewolf, St. Elsewhere, Quincy, M.E., Simon & Simon, Fantasy Island, The Rockford Files, Barney Miller, The Six Million Dollar Man, Ironside, Gunsmoke, Cannon, Mannix, Here's Lucy, Shaft, Night Gallery, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Perry Mason, Andy Griffith Show, McHale's Navy, The Wild, Wild West, Studio One, Flash Gordon (50s version), and many others. He died at age 86.

• John Furlong: The actor was probably best known for appearing in many Russ Meyer films (and dubbing his voice in many of them), but he also appeared in dozens of TV shows over the years, including Murder, She Wrote, Cagney and Lacey, Remington Steele, Airwolf, Simon & Simon, Dallas, T.J. Hooker, Hart to Hart, The Rockford Files, McCloud, Ironside, Adam-12, and many more. He also appeared in the movies Blazing Saddles, Wyatt Earp, Jagged Edge, The Swarm, All The President's Men, and The Front Page. He died on June 23.

Karen

Awwwww. Scully's dad. Waaah.

July 02 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

and I get the award for triple posting. I fail.

July 01 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Akbar Fazil's comment
Akbar Fazil

Oreo, show a little respect man.

1. The great Don Davis died on Sunday.
2. The family (from what I could see) didn't announce this until late yesterday.

July 01 2008 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monstromart

Yes, it took 48 hours for TVSquad to report this, but it only takes Oreo MINUTES to troll it. That's service you can count on, folks.

July 01 2008 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I was waiting for you guy and gals to report on Don S. Davis, he was on tons of shows and it took you 2-3 days to report on it.

July 01 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Oreo's comment
csttar63

can anyone tell me if don s. davis was the voice on those old walt disney shorts about real-life animal adventures.

July 01 2008 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

can anyone tell me if DON S. DAVIS was the narrator on those old Walt Disney shorts about real-life animal adventures? his voice sounds similar to that narrator.

July 01 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to csttar63's comment
erroneous_nick

That wasn't Don S. Davis doing those narrations, but his voice does sound eerily like the man who did them. I believe the person who narrated all those great nature documentaries was Winston Hibler. He had (and still has) one of the most recognized voices in the world, but for everything he's done he remains virtually unknown. He died way back in 1976.

Here's an entry for him on the Disney Legends page:

I hope this helps out, I know that researching the answer to your question has given me answers I've wanted for years.

July 01 2008 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply