October 23, 2014

Dennis Haysbert says he paved the way for Obama

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 2nd 2008 9:22AM
Dennis HaysbertWould America be ready for an African-American president, which is now a 50-50 proposition with Senator Barack Obama the presumptive Democratic candidate, if actor Dennis Haysbert hadn't done it first on 24?

A lot of people have wondered if Haysbert's brave, commanding President David Palmer influenced the way people are thinking about Obama. Dennis Haysbert has now weighed in, and he believes that his role on 24 made a difference.

"My portrayal of David Palmer may have helped open the eyes of the American people," he told the AP.

"I mean the American people across the board - from the poorest to the richest, every color and creed, every religious base - to prove the possibility there could be an African-American president, a female president, any type of president that puts the people first," he goes on to say.

The star of The Unit -- which is coming back for a fourth season on CBS this fall -- likes Obama and has contributed $2,300, the maximum amount an individual can give per candidate -- to Barack's presidential campaign.

While I agree with Haysbert that his performance as David Palmer was influential, America has likely been ready for an African-American candidate for at least a decade.

General Colin Powell nearly ran, and was courted by both the Democratic and Republican parties. So while I think Obama will be happy to shake Dennis' hand -- and take the contribution -- I don't think he'll be sleeping in the Lincoln bedroom in exchange for his support.

Or was that just a Clinton thing? Kidding, just kidding.

By the by, Haysbert was very unhappy that 24 chose to use the assassination of David Palmer as a plot point, especially since the show became too political in his opinion. Too right wing, he said.

cookie_jar045@hotmail.com

It seems strange that no one mentions the fact that Mr. Obama's father was 45.75% Arab and his mother was caucasian. I thought that was very interesting when I read it. Maybe some research should be done, although I don't think anyone would care. If the church he frequented didn't bother anyone I doubt this would.

July 04 2008 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I screwed up. I heard he was a Jamaican immigrant a long time ago. I guess I never really cared to look into it before now.

July 03 2008 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

Maybe he helped with building a positive representation of black men into scripted, but I doubt everyone who votes watches 24.

July 02 2008 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

That role on TV had very little impact on the current political climate.

July 02 2008 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

Unfortunately for Obama, he's more like Wayne Palmer than his brother.

July 02 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

Colin Powell couldn't run for President. He wasn't born in the U.S.

July 02 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
wraith808

A read of anything regarding Colin Powell's background, or even a visit to wikipedia would have proven you wrong before you said such an inane thing. Maybe next time.

July 02 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wraith808

July 02 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

Colin Powell couldn't run for President. He wasn't born in the U.S.

July 02 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
malren

Colin Powell was born in Harlem and raised in the Bronx. And he's twice the man the fictional David Palmer was and ten times the man Obama pretends to be.

I'd gladly vote for Colin Powell no matter what party he was running for.

July 02 2008 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I agree with you, Malren. Powell isn't everyone's perfect candidate, but he's got more integrity in his little finger than the whole of DC.

July 02 2008 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

That's Obama's stand. Are you in good hands?

July 02 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

That's Obama's stand. Are you in good hands?

July 02 2008 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

I have issues with the label of "African American" being applied so easily to Obama. He's a child of a Caucasian American woman and and African man. He's a child of a mixed marraige.
I make this point as my children are also from a mixed marraige. Ethic Chinese and Caucasian parents respectively. Should they be labelled White? Chinese? Or Other?
It's a throw back to less tolerant times when labels were conveniently attached based upon how one "appeared" to others and not by ones real background.

I think trying to label people is a waste of time.

July 02 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply