October 24, 2014

Emmy unveils the Best Drama Actor semifinalists

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 2nd 2008 5:41PM

Kyle ChandlerAnother day, another list of 10 semifinalists from the Emmys. This time, it's the Best Actor in a Drama.

There are a lot of the usual suspects on the list (which will be knocked down to five nominees in the next round), including actors from Dexter, Mad Men, Grey's Anatomy, Friday Night Lights, Breaking Bad, and House. One show that's not represented is Lost. I thought Matthew Fox did some great work this season, especially his drunk/screwed-up scenes.

After the jump, the list of the ten semifinalists (also check out those in contention for Best Actress - Comedy, Best Supporting Actor - Drama, Best Comedy, and Best Drama).

Best Actor - Drama semifinalists

Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
Hugh Laurie (House)
Denis Leary (Rescue Me)
Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
James Spader (Boston Legal)
Patrick Dempsey (Grey's Anatomy)
Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment)
Eddie Izzard (The Riches)

So who do you think they missed on this list? Who shouldn't even be on the list? Great to see Jon Hamm and Michael C. Hall here, and I think they'll be two of the final five.

Usama

Speaking of "I think they'll be two of the final five," there's no Battlestar Galactica? I know they started their season late but I thought they were still in this. What about The Wire, this past year was their last run.

July 03 2008 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chrissy6299

The Emmy's are just sad. Their refusal to acknowledge anything besides boring dramas is just wrong. Isn't an award show supposed to be objective?
The best actor on TV right now is Jensen Ackles, everyone who takes the time to view his work knows that.

July 03 2008 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Michael C. Hall and Kyle Chandler? No way, the trendy popular shows and their actors will get nominated. Strangely, both seemed better in the freshman seasons of their shows...

July 03 2008 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

DEXTER MUST WIN! if not then HOUSE!
all others SUCK BALLS

July 03 2008 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

The winner will probably be Hugh Laurie for House... Although I think rightfully it should be Michael C. Hall.

July 02 2008 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I agree that Damian Lewis should have been listed - his portrayal of Detective Charlie Crews on Life was the most powerful performance I've seen on TV in years - especially the season finale "Fill It Up" - he was absolutely brilliant!

July 02 2008 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

I couldn't choose one either...

Cranston was amazing, Chandler has proven to be great across both seasons and Michael C. Hall just doesn't get any love.

Spader has won too many times in my opinion, he's a great actor but I never thought his performance as Shore was _that_ amazing.

July 02 2008 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I watch most of these shows, and I have to say: The Emmy should go to Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad).

That's all I'm going to say. If you wonder why, then you should check out all 7 episodes of the first season of Breaking Bad.

July 02 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
burl

the emmys are screwed up- here's a funny take (adult language)

July 02 2008 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

Damian Lewis should be on that list I believe. But then again, Life received no love whatsoever, eveb though Lewis was terrific, so was Shahi, and it was the best new series of the season...

I have to say though, I couldn't chose one winner, my heart can't chose between Hugh Laurie and Bryan Cranston...

PS: Patrick Dempsey ? Really ?

July 02 2008 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply