September 15, 2014

Stargate Atlantis season five - An early look

by Brett Love, posted Jul 2nd 2008 3:19PM

Stargate Atlantis cast
I was pretty excited when our friendly neighborhood FedEx guy dropped off the envelope with the promo package for season five of Atlantis. And I remained so even after my DVD player balked at reading the disk. It just served as a fine example as to why it's not geeky to have a computer connected to your television, it's just handy.

As the disk started up I was thinking it would be a good idea to do an early look post about where things look to be heading in season five. Unfortunately, Sci Fi only sent out the first episode of the season, and it's not telling us much of anything about season five, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The episode plays like S04E21 right up to the last scene, where season five begins to take over. Given where we last left our friends in Atlantis, that was probably to be expected. More, including some minor spoilers, after the jump.

Of course, as we look ahead to season five, there are a few things we do know for sure. First, and most obviously, is the new sheriff in town. That revelation does come up in the premiere, but it is at the very end of the show. I still haven't decided just where I am with the idea of bringing in Woolsey to run things. On the one hand, the Carter experiment never really worked for me. I wouldn't call it horrible, but I would say that, looking back, it was the weakest part of season four for me.

So, a change should be good. I've just never really warmed up to Woolsey, and certainly never considered him for the head of the Atlantis team. That's the bit that gives me pause. And I should point out that it's a pause with the writers here. I'm questioning whether or not they can pull off the change. I have every confidence in Robert Picardo, and I hope it works out because I do welcome more of him on the screen.

Nicole de BoerIn more spoilery territory, and speaking of leaders of Atlantis, I was happy to see that we will be getting back to the Weir story that was left hanging in season four's "Be All My Sins Remember'd." Unfortunately, while it is great that the story will be followed up on, it is a little disappointing that it's all going to happen without Torri Higginson. She turned down the opportunity to come back for one season five episode.

While it's not the same as having Dr. Weir back, that episode will mark the return of FRAN. And on that note of women(?) from McKay's life returning, we'll also be catching up with Jeanie again. Add to that the grrl-power away team featuring Nicole de Boer (!) as Dr. Alison Porter and the feisty new Capt. Vega (Leela Savasta), the return of old friends Dr. Beckett and Daniel Jackson, and the return of an old enemy that is all kinds of spoilery, and season five is looking pretty good on paper. We'll get to see how it all transfers to the screen on Friday, July 11th at 10 PM ET.

Alicia

Dude... do you ever have ANYTHING positive to say about ANYTHING?

July 02 2008 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alicia's comment
Akbar Fazil

Nope, he never does. I guess it's his shtick.

July 02 2008 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

Although Carter was weak in her leadership, I think that having her there was a good thing. It did bring people who watched SG-1 to Atlantis.

I am looking forward to Woosley being in command... as long as he gets that stick out of his behind... which will prolly happen early.

I can't wait!

July 02 2008 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

From what I understand Carter is kicked off Atlantis, but they never explain the shift in command. So here exit is just as bad as most of her stay on Atlantis.

July 02 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Akbar Fazil

once again you are incorrect. There is an explanation given as to why Carter is removed (and even a nice tie to the next SG1 movie)

July 02 2008 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Woohoo!! Ezri Dax!!! Wonder how many episodes she'll be around for...

July 02 2008 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Betty M

As far as I've heard (via Mallozzi's blog) she's only in the one ep this season. I know that Hewlett was a bit put off because she was not in any scenes with him as she and he had appeared in CUBE together and he had wanted to catch up. While I do like her and her character, I'm not so sure I'm going to like Vega. And I'm still up in the air about the sudden influx of female (most Marines) characters this season. But -- as long as I can still get my McKay & Sheppard fix -- I can live with it.

July 02 2008 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

The whole Carter thing was horrible because it wasn't handled at all. Hopefully this time they actually write stories where the Commander of Atlantis does something other then give Carte blanche to everyone else.

July 02 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark "The Hobo" Watson

Stargate, starring former child star Kurt Russell, was released by the California-based major studio Metro- Goldwyn-Mayer in the early 1990s.

MGM consumer site: http://www.mgm.com/tv