Why wait? Get Venture Bros. commentary now!
by Annie Wu, posted Jul 3rd 2008 12:03PM
Once again proving that I will listen to any nonsense Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer spit, I fought crippling 3AM sleepiness just to get through this commentary (hidden under the "Extras" buttons) for the latest Venture Bros. episode, "The Buddy System". That's right, no need to wait for the Season Three DVD to come out, because you can learn about Doc and Jackson's thoughts on above ground pools right now. Best of all, it's video, so we feel the full impact of their wildly off-topic conversations and also get to admire how these two look more like rock stars than the minds behind Metalocalypse. Compared to their DVD commentaries, though, they managed to offer quite a bit of episode-specific information.
I don't know what foolishness AdultSwim.com pulled while uploading this episode, but it's very wonky. Don't worry if you hear clicking noises throughout the entire first segment and lose a chunk of time between the tram ride and the gorilla encounter, because it's the site's fault. Watching the video commentary with the actual episode isn't integral anyway. Just sit back and let Doc and Jackson ramble for twenty minutes, sharing back-to-back gems of awesomeness, such as:
- An in-depth exploration of off-limits nemeses, like kids in wheelchairs.
- Their impressions of Dana Snyder.
- This fun fact! Did you know the pictures faintly scrolling in the background during the intro are actually Doc and Jackson's childhood photos? I mean, not photos of them together as kids. That would be crazy.
- Another fun fact! Sgt. Hatred was based on a real guy that Doc and Jackson saw at a Starbucks. He was a guy with a military buzzcut, looking at some sort of barely legal, foot fetish porn on his laptop. This was shared in the Season Two DVD commentary, but it's still funny. And scary.
- And I almost woke up the entire block from laughing at this exchange, branched from an explanation of the Order of the Triad's safety performance:
Doc: Burning nuns! Black, white, and red. Burning nuns...
Jackson: Super-heated burning death nuns!
Doc: The smell of holy nuns... charred! Jesus wept that day. Nuns, burning!
Jackson: The tears of children were not enough to extinguish the super-flame.
If you loved it -- and everyone knows you did -- be sure to pick up both the Season One and Season Two DVDs, because this is the way they do commentary. Heck, it's the way all commentaries should be done.
[via James Urbaniak's Voucher Ankles]