July 30, 2014

Supporting comedy actor and actress finalists

by Brett Love, posted Jul 4th 2008 8:50AM

Kristin Chenoweth - Pushing DaisiesHere come two more lists of the ten actors and actresses that are finalists for Emmy nominations in the supporting comedy categories. As with the other awards, there are some surprises on the list, and some notable omissions. For the ladies, the headline is that last year's winner, Jaime Pressly (My Name Is Earl), didn't make the cut. Surprise finalists include Conchata Ferrell (Two And A Half Men) and Amy Poehler (Saturday Night Live). I don't mind seeing Conchata on the list because she is consistently funny on the show, but I don't know that there is enough to her role for her to actually garner a nomination when you consider the competition.

On the other side of the coin, the defending champ, Jeremy Piven (Entourage), is back. None of the boys over at SNL managed to make the leap from Variety to Comedy that Poehler did.

There is one welcome surprise on the list, though. Fred Willard (Back To You) is in the running. Given the fate of the show, I expected it to be mostly forgotten by now, but Willard is always solid, and the acknowledgment of that is nice to see. I would have liked to see Tyler Labine (Reaper) in the running, but The CW, much like WB and UPN before it, might as well not even exist where the Emmys are concerned. The rest of the finalists, after the jump.

Supporting Comedy Actress

Supporting Comedy Actor

For me, choosing who I would like to see win the actress category is pretty easy. I'll take Kristin Chenoweth all day. She has a crazy role, on a great show, and she regularly steals scenes. Even when they aren't dressing her up in red, white, and blue sequined bikini tops. On the men's side, I'm a little torn. Jack McBrayer is great on 30 Rock, but it's hard to go against Neil Patrick Harris. What do you think? Omissions? Favorites?

amanda

Hey Everyone,
There is a charity auction taking place that all of you My Name Is Earl fans will love. The auction supports a fantastic charty called Food On Foot. The lucky winning bidder of the auction will recieve a Silent Walk On Roll to the set of My Name Is Earl. For all of the auction details visit www.auctionwire.com/foodonfoot. The auction starts Friday Septmeber 12th, 2008 and will run for 10 days. Check it out!

September 12 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhoElseButME

And the winner (should be) ...

~drum roll~

NPH !

Really, did you ever see him on HIMYM? No contest! The guy is gay for crying out loud and he portrays a shameless womanizer so brilliantly well.

July 16 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Kristin Wiig definitely should have been on that list! She's a comedy genius! Not to take anything away from Amy, but I will stop everything to watch a Kristin Wiig sketch. The Deal or No Deal model she played - with no dialog! - who did everything she could to stall opening the briefcase was priceless!

July 05 2008 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Kristin Chenoweth
Jenna Fischer
Jane Krakowski
Elizabeth Perkins
Amy Poehler

Justin Kirk
NPH
J Kras
Jack Macbrayer
Tracey Morgan
Rainn Wilson

I'd be happy w/ any of these. But Angela Kinsey from The Office and Cobie Smulders from HIMYM are missing.

Kristin Wiig is the best thing to happen to SNL in years! I predict her to get the nomination and win next year!!

I hope NPH or Rainn win actor...I really can't choose actress!

July 05 2008 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ned

Kristen Wiig was ten times funnier than Amy Poehler this season. Although I respect the work Amy has done over her tenure on the show, Wiig did so much better.

July 04 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Kristin Chenoweth has got to win this category!

July 04 2008 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Of all the actresses listed there Elizabeth Perkins is the most deserving of both a nomination AND a win. I'm also happy to see Conchata Ferrell on the list. Her role may be small, but every scene she's in turns out hilarious.

As for the guys, the most deserving one there is Neil Patrick Harris. He's a scene stealer and really the funniest person on HIMYM.

July 04 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

For Kristin there should be a category for best supporting actor cleavage. No one can deny that it's in your face for every episode of Daisies.

July 04 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Kristin Chenoweth and Neil Patrick Harris FTW! I hope at least they get nominated though.

Oh and both of them will be announcing the nominations. I hope they both call out each other's names.

July 04 2008 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply