September 30, 2014

Al Roker, NBCU and the Weather Channel

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 7th 2008 2:01PM
RokerSo, you probably heard that the NBC Universal empire will be expanding by one, once it has added The Weather Channel to its media outlets. On MSNBC this morning, the subs on Morning Joe were crowing about CEO Jeff Zucker, sucking up royally, and even hyping GE stock.

It was all really uncomfortable, obvious and out of place when you are tuning in for news, politics, some pop culture and get NBCU corporate cheerleaders in full pom-pom mode.

Okay, enough ranting; there is some news to report. If the deal goes through -- and it will -- Today weatherman Al Roker may be relocating or he'll be repurposed, becoming the face of The Weather Channel.

That would mean Al could be all over the place -- Food Network, The Weather Channel and NBC!

I love Al Roker; really, I once ran into him at IKEA. And I've interviewed him; he's a very nice person, but do we really want him to be another Regis Philbin? Sure, he's a comfy, familiar face, but where's new talent?

On Sunday, Zucker did a phone interview with The New York Times and confirmed that talent from NBCU could be appearing on The Weather Channel, and vice versa, when the deal is done. Still, for the life of me, I can't name a single Weather Channel name that would be suited for Deal or No Deal or Heroes, can you?

It's more likely that The Weather Channel as it has been for the past 26 years is going to change -- dramatically. NBCU hasn't acquired it to keep it all weather, all the time. I may be cynical, but I have no faith in Zucker, don't buy into his success, and figure he's going to bastardize what was meant to be a service channel.

Tim

From the corporate entity that decided wrestling has enough 'fantasy' elements to be able to air on SCI-FI....

Soon, get yourself ready for episodes of the KNIGHT RIDER remake.

"Hey, day & night - that's weather! It's a perfect synergistic fit!"

If you saw any part of the DATELINE tornado special Friday night then you know what's coming to cable's most perfectly branded channel.

Fire Zucker. Save the network.

July 07 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryLouise

I like Al on the Today Show. I do wish him the best at whatever he does. To me, he comes across as a great person,, not put on etc. God bless him and family in whatever he does.

July 07 2008 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Do people really watch the Weather Channel when there isn't a major weather event affecting them at that moment (or within the next day or so)? The whole concept of turning to a channel and waiting for them to give you the bare statistics of the weather in your area, if they cover your area at all, seems so unbelievably stupid, I can't even fathom it.

July 07 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross Kimbrough

This channel's going to go downhill even worse then what it is today. It's green-speak is so ridiculous at this point, NBC is going to make this station into some kind Al Gore Love Channel. I will only watch it if it can go back to it's roots, weather. No gardening and no climate change farce shows. I can't stand to watch Al Roker...

July 07 2008 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ross Kimbrough's comment
Oreo

Climate change isn't a farce, however I do agree that what they have for "shows" is complete bullshit.

Hopefully weather.com doesn't change because that's all I need.

July 07 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Anyone like Zucker? No? Good.

July 07 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply