Big Brother 10 cast revealed
Executive producer Allison Grodner has promised us more diversity in casting and actual strangers in the house this season. Did she deliver? Check out the houseguests in the photo gallery and read on past the jump for more.
Gallery: Big Brother 10 houseguests
Okay, Allison Grodner's idea of diversity in casting differs from my own. We're still looking at an overwhelmingly young white group of houseguests. We have a 75 year-old man and a 53 year year-old woman. There are three houseguests in their thirties ... two are 30 and 31, mind you. The rest are all in their twenties. There are two black houseguests, one Korean-American, and no one else is striking me as any sort of diverse ethnic or cultural background other than plain old Caucasian raised in the USA. Diversity in casting? I think not. I can only hope they have minds. (But then what would they be doing on the show, right?)
Without further ado, here they are:
- Brian: Age 27. He's a single telecommunication manager originally from Elk Grove, CA and now lives in San Francisco, CA. He's an Air Force veteran and the CBS website states that he's a "guy's guy." Whatever could they mean?
- Angie: Age 29. She's a single pharmaceutical sales representative hailing from Virginia Beach, VA and now resides in Orlando, FL. The CBS site touts her as a "smart and sexy Korean-American tomboy." She's recently divorced. She prides herself for being the Guinness-chugging champion for women at a bar event. Oh, she wants to be with a guy's guy ... will there be a showmance?
- Memphis: Age 25. He's originally from Collierville, TN and now lives in Los Angeles, CA. Now, here's a typical reality television kind of guy -- he claims to be a "mixologist." He says it's not a bartender, but that's exactly what it is. He's single, but has lived with his girlfriend for over three years.
- April: Age 30. She's a single financial manager originally from Arlington, NE and now resides in Higley, AZ. Uh-oh. She claims to be obsessive compulsive. That will go over well, huh? Her favorite movie is Dumb and Dumber. So much for intellect.
- Ollie: Age 27. He's a single marketing sales representative originally from Des Moines, IA and now lives in Minneapolis, MN. He doesn't drink, smoke, or curse. (Does he know what he's getting into on the show?) He grew up in a strict Pentecostal family and refers to them as "the black Brady Bunch." He's definitely not a Will Mega (BB1) type, is he?
- Michelle: She's 28, a single realtor, and hails from Cumberland, RI. The CBS website says she's "an East Coast firecracker." Um, okay. She actually spoke up and didn't hold her peace at her brother's wedding. I can see her having some issues in the house.
- Jerry: He's 75, a married great-grandfather, and a retired marketing executive originally from Wiles Barre, PA now in Magnolia, TX. He should be interesting -- he's in great shape and has never missed an episode of the show in all nine previous seasons. He's also been a fan of the live feeds. I think I want him for the win already, but time will tell.
- Libra: Age 31, a married human resources representative from Spring, TX. She has three children and recently gave birth to what the CBS site says is a medical rarity -- twins, one black and one white. She's a staunch Obama supporter and says Oprah Winfrey is her hero. She likes to shop and gossip and is attracted to men like Nick from BB8.
- Steven: Age 35, he's a gay rodeo competitor now living in Dallas, TX but originally hailing from Opelousas, LA. He's a champion bull rider, but will he be able to ride the bull that goes on in the Big Brother house? He thinks everyone who meets him likes him. We'll see about that.
- Renny: Age 53, she's a married beauty salon owner from New Orleans, LA. She's a proud New Orleans socialite, loves to party, and hangs out in the French Quarter. I don't think she's one of the flashing women on the balconies. She's been married for 27 years and has two grown children. Hopefully she's no Sheila (BB9).
- Dan: Age 24, he's a single Catholic school teacher from Dearborn, MI. He's very conservative and doesn't like liberals. (No, no! Don't make this a political season, please!) According to the CBS website, he considers vegans to be "weird tree-huggers" and that "tattoos are trashy and piercings are for freaks." Enough said.
- Keesha: Age 29, she's a single waitress originally from Sterling, OH now living in Burbank, CA. The website calls her a "blond bombshell" and, for me, a quick glance reminds me of Daniele Donato with a bit more meat on her bones. She works at Hooters. (Didn't Daniele work at Hooters for a while, too?) I predict shallow.
- Jessie: Age 22, he's a single professional bodybuilder originally from Rudd, IA now residing in Huntington Beach, CA. The information at the CBS website has him coming across as the squeaky clean all American boy next door. Let's see if Big Brother can taint him!
So, there's our diversity. I call it tokens. Oh, but I'll be watching anyway.