October 25, 2014

Hallmark plans 30 movies ... about love, of course

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 8th 2008 12:23PM
Jacqueline Bisset / An Old-Fashioned ThanksgivingThere's a long-running joke around our house about the Hallmark channel. Whenever anyone surfs by it long enough to hear a wispy theme song, someone will invariably drop to their knees, lightly press the back of their hand to their forehead, and feign a woman in emotional turmoil. Let's face it, that pretty much describes a lot of Hallmark movies.

So when I read in Variety that Hallmark has 30 movies in the pipeline -- and would be announcing them at the Television Critics Association confab (I guess that's what they call it when it's not the real deal?) -- I knew that a good portion of them would probably have the word "love" in the title.

Yep, sure enough. They've picked up the rights to the next two installments in the Love Comes Softly franchise, based on Janette Oke's series of eight novels set in the Old West.

The seventh title, Love Takes Wing, is in production and will air in the first quarter of 2009, starring Cloris Leachman and Hayley Duff. The final title, Love Finds a Home, is still in the script stage and hasn't been cast.

Also on the docket are four holiday films, including The Christmas Choir (Dec. 6); Accidental Friendship (Nov. 15), starring Chandra Wilson and Ben Vereen; An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving (Nov. 22), starring Jacqueline Bisset (pictured); and Expecting a Miracle (Jan. 3), with Jason Priestley and Teri Polo.

Please, anyone who watches these movies, I'm begging you to post a comment here and tell me why. Yeah, I get that they're inspirational and all that -- you know, like a Hallmark card -- but I just can't stomach a whole two hours of it. And I love cards -- okay, maybe not Hallmark cards, but I have a nice collection of cards for every occasion in a basket by my desk.

I'm just not a Hallmark movie watcher, but I'd really like to hear from someone who is. Maybe I should check out some of the other shows, like Jane Doe? I do watch M*A*S*H on Hallmark every night, so that's something.

Rita

Where can I find the Hallmark Movie channel? Do we have access to it yet on Suddenlink?

Hallmark channel has been sadly lacking in movies lately..can only find the same stupid sitcoms run over and over.
I do miss decent Hallmark movies.

July 03 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dominick

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Movie, "uncroked"... With one very big goof...
The music was TOO LOUD... You had to turn it up too hear the voices.. I do not know
who edited the movie, but they really screwed up.. Larry Levison should have corrected
this before showing it on TV...
Dominick Salomone
dsdsoctober@aol.com

February 17 2011 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saleh alshuhail

how i can see list of daily moveis

July 21 2008 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaboodleKitty

I watch Hallmark weekday afternoons for reruns of Touched By An Angel and 7th Heaven - yeah, I'm a sap. I have 2 absolute favorite movies though - SOMEWHERE IN TIME with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, and Hallmark's THE LOVE LETTER. Both involve romances that cross the boundries of time but that's not the only reason I like them. They, themselves, are timeless, quality productions. If you've seen and loved one, be sure to watch the other. (The soundtrack to Somewhere In Time is also FANTASTIC - composed by John Barry.)

July 18 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maverick Saturn

I've been bored enough to watch Hallmark movies, wait, that wasn't me...

July 09 2008 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariewp

One of my all-time favorite tv movies is The Love Letter but that was made during the CBS Hallmark Hall of Fame years. Also loved Sarah Plain and Tall (a love story too). I think the productions are being made on the cheap now, though and don't seem to have much charm. I did watch Love Comes Softly and it was just ok, nothing special. I do think there's a good market for these kind of love stories; they just need to get better writing talent and put more thought into them.

July 08 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

Well, the choice is Lifetime, where women are crime/rape/ psychotic victims or Hallmark, where women go back to their family roots and find love and reconciliation! I like the Hallmark movies better. They are harmless little wisps of happy endings.

July 08 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I like The Hallmark Channel and their movies, with the exception of the "Love Comes Softly" series (the first one is the only one worth watching, the rest are blah). I appreciate the fact that these tv movies, as lightweight as most of them are, are employing veteran actors who have been squeezed out of theatrical releases and the hit tv shows because of their age.

Also, CBS seems to be shying away from their "Hallmark Hall of Fame" franchise. One scheduled to air on CBS this past year was moved to the Hallmark Channel. I have a feeling we're eventually going to see all the "Hallmark Hall of Fame" movies on The Hallmark Channel.

July 08 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Obviously you have never been so bored out of your mind on a Saturday afternoon in the cold of Winter that the only comfort is the "Love Comes..." marathon to warm your heart. It's also a great drinking game, anytime they mention Love or God or someone dies...am I right?

July 08 2008 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply