September 1, 2014

Is this old Christine's new adventure?

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jul 9th 2008 12:41PM
Julia Louis Dreyfuss Old ChristineMichael Ausiello has an odd bit of news about the Julia Louis-Dreyfus sitcom, The New Adventures of Old Christine. In a blind item he posted a few days ago, Ausiello alluded to a crazy curveball that writers were planning to throw on a "sort-of hit" comedy. The twist is supposed to be so huge that it will completely change the direction of the show in question. He reveals the blind item in this week's Ask Ausiello, and if it's true, it's a doozy.

(Warning: Potential spoilers ahead!)

Apparently, writers on The New Adventures of Old Christine are taking advantage of California's new law allowing gay unions by marrying off two of the female stars of the show, Christine (Dreyfus) and Barb (Wanda Sykes). I doubt that after decades of dating dudes these two ladies suddenly discover their sapphic sides, but it's quite a twist, nonetheless.

This is obviously just a rumor at this point, but I could definitely see it being true. If it is, what do you think the twist will be that is going to get Barb and Christine down the aisle?

StillBash

Yeah let's discuss things that haven't actually happened yet.

I read all comments and it's really laughable. "If they do this then..."

BLA!

"I already hate the writers for not having actually done this yet but boy do I hate them"

Take that energy, go outside and pick up some garbage. Or talk to someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice instead of displaying such complete and utter idiocy here. I mean seriously, you guys actually said that if a comedy show (!) says that some characters (!) on that TV SHOW (!) CHOOSE (!!!) to be gay, then that will confirm the beliefs of people who think that homosexuality is a choice.

Read that sentence again. Please. It could not be more ridiculous. You guys actually said that if something is on TV then those people who have some totally idiotic beliefs will use that as an argument.

How EFFING stupid are you people?

You basically imply that the authors are believing the "choice" theorem themselves and put it on their show. You _actually_ believe that TV writers on a CBS show (possibly ABC in the future) from Hollywood believe this, and that WANDA SYKES and JULIA LUIS DREYFUS would actually PERFORM that script.

Honestly, believing that is just as stupid as believing homosexuality is a choice. You are beyond stupid. It's embarrassing. If I were gay I'd wish you wouldn't fight for my cause just because no gay person on this earth needs someone THAT stupid to argue for them. "No you can't put that on TV, if it's on TV that means it will be true".

Gawd.

I'll go and pick up some garbage now. I feel like I just wasted 10 minutes of my time talking to morons.

July 09 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

Remember when Christine tried to promote racial diversity at her son's school and it backfired on her? It was hysterical! Remember when she felt guilty about not voting and decided to get politically active? Another disaster - and also hysterical! I'm sure this "twist" is just another opportunity for an "I Love Lucy"-ish plot - e.g., Christine spouts a pro-gay marriage stance to counter something obnoxious that the "evil moms" say and it escalates to the point of her "marrying" Barb to prove her point or back up her story rather than embarrass herself in front of the "evil moms".

July 09 2008 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

I could easily see this being an "I Love Lucy"-ish type of twist. Christine getting herself into some kind of predicament and convincing Barb to help her out (as Barb has done many times) in order to avoid some perceived embarrassment. Maybe it starts by her taking a pro-gay marriage stance in a reaction to something the "evil moms" at her son's school say but she ends up taking it too far and the whole thing goes horribly wrong (similar to what she did when she tried to promote racial diversity at the school). Knowing the show and the actors, if they play it this way, I'm sure it will be a riot.

July 09 2008 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

Another major point here is that both Barb and Christine like having sex with men. They've had affairs and talked about the sex. They're not bi, so if they end up married, it'll be some kind of scam/gag. I trust these writers to make it funny because they've delivered in the past.

July 09 2008 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

I agree with you Alicia, HIMYM is not only on CBS but it featured a storyline with Wayne Brady, as Barney's brother, that portrayed a sensible, intelligent everyday gay man. Although he isn't a core cast member I would hope that this portrayal would get positive attention but of course certain people on these forums and in the media would never say something nice about a show or network. Only the negative.

July 09 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I completely agree with Rick. Ellen because annoying after she came out, it was just handled badly.

Most of the time gay characte3rs are there to act like 12 year old girls, let's have some real gay characters on TV. The type that might have a child, and are caring and loving and are the same as everyone else but they are both the same sex. Right now the only time you see that is on TLC when they have a room/house redone.

This idea is terrible. It will most likely only last a few weeks and in that time they will just use it to make every old dumb gay joke they can think of. Sure it will make the show become a hit, the audience who watches CBS comedies are unintelligent fools who love the same old gay jokes.

July 09 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Alicia

Oh corse the all-mighty Oreo has nothing good to say about not only this show but *gasp* more included.

HIMYM, is one of the best sitcoms on TV and *shock shock* it's on CBS.

July 09 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

I could not possibly put it as eloquently as rick cokely, but I think it would be a travesty, if two straight, same sex people would suddenly get married just because of the ratings or due to the law change in California.

If that's where the writers want to go, then I'm sorry, but this sitcom deserves to be cancelled.

July 09 2008 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

I'd calm your britches. I'd give 10-1 odds that if this does happen it will be for health insurance or some other "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" kind of reason.

July 09 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Eric J.'s comment
Oreo

That's the problem, Chuck and Larry was a terrible idea for a movie and was just awful in every way possible. So now they want to try it on this show just to dumb down the show. I hope this leads to the show getting canceled.

July 09 2008 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I am sure that is exactly the reason.

Man... people need to get a grip!

And just because you have been married, doesn't mean your not gay the entire time. *sheesh*

July 09 2008 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I'll be upfront and honest, I don't watch the show and I never have, but this just stinks. If you have a character that has been "straight" for so long (assuming that she was married before) and then suddenly is a lesbian, it makes the public, people that watch this show think "yea, maybe it is a choice since Christine is now all of a sudden gay." It's like Anne Heche all over again.

I wish they would stop perpetuating this crap on TV and show real gays. NOT the ones that are overly flamboyant and out of control drag queens, but people that are in caring, loving relationships that aren't just full of drama and missteps for a chuckle. I understand that TV needs "characters" but the studio's should start taking responsible action to portray real gay people on TV and not just these caricatures of people. Could you imagine if they had a show where a black person was dressed as Aunt Jemima or a Hispanic person was constantly hanging out at the 7-11 looking for work? There would be an UPROAR. But somehow it's ok to show gays being overly dramatic borderline drag-queens who have sex with anything that walks.

July 09 2008 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rick cokely's comment
Franklin

Rick, you might fall over dead when I say this, but I couldn't agree with you more.

In fact, after what you've posted I began thinking it could be argued that the continuance of our society to be hesitant in accepting homosexuals is, in large part, the fault of television. They seem to be the most widespread perpetrators of those negative homosexual stereotypes. Gays, along with overweight people, are some of the few people left who seem to be openly ridiculed, stereotyped and used only as the butt of jokes.

The homosexuals I've encountered in my life are NOTHING like what's commonly portrayed on television. I'm convinced that homosexuality is NOT a choice simply by getting to know gay and lesbian individuals. Most of them are in loving, monogamous relationships and a larger number than might be realized are actually conservatives in their political leanings. In short, gays in "real life" are very different from gays on TV and it's high time producers gave the portrayal of such characters a healthy dose of reality.

I've watched a couple of episodes of "Christine" and this curve ball isn't what it needs. What it needs is to actually be funny and entertaining; two qualities I couldn't find a shred of in the episodes I watched.

July 09 2008 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

While your sentiment may be correct in general, Rick, the show you are commenting on is the wrong target. As you mentioned, you don't watch the show because if you did you would know that 'The New Adventures Of Old Christine' is funny because it portrays everyday seemingly mundane lives with the over the top neurotic nature of human tendencies. 'Christine' is of course filled with jokes and slapstick but it is the underlying situation that makes the show. You have Christine the typically neurotic white woman who lives with her brother in a very co-dependent relationship that borders on incestuous. Christine's shares her son with her ex-husband who has a typically confused husband look on his face and Christine's best friend is a black woman that I can assure you doesn't parade around in a 'Aunt Jemima' outfit but who instead has a typically unhealthy obsession/hatred of her ex-husband. These are all typical stereotypes that don't necessarily revolve around race, religion or sexual orientation but make up a cast of characters that we may recognize from our everyday lives, a cast of characters that we grow to care about.
'Christine' has alluded to a past "lesbian encounter" between old Christine and Barb before but only in an 'we experimented during college' type of way. However I am assured in the knowledge that if a same sex marriage story line was to emerge on 'Christine' then it would be handled in the same way as the rest of the show; smartly, funnily, neurotically and with a conclusion that will no doubt please die-hard 'Christine' fans.

July 09 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply