July 30, 2014

Burn Notice: Breaking and Entering (season premiere)

by Paul Goebel, posted Jul 10th 2008 11:19PM

Michael and Fi(S02E01) Man, it's been a long time since last season. I remembered very little of what they showed in the recap and after being reminded, I was hungry for the new season.

It occurs to me as I'm watching this episode that Michael Westen is a less philanthropic MacGyver. He knows a lot of tricks that will help you in sticky situations but he's smart enough to keep most of them to himself. I, personally, have never had to run from the police but if I ever do, I now know the best way to stop the airbags from going off.

Seeing Bruce Campbell in that tiny shirt made me laugh so much that I am convinced there should be more of him on TV. In a world where every young comedian is given his own sitcom, a show starring Bruce Campbell as a single dad would be a welcome change.

At the risk of overstating it, watching Gabrielle Anwar shoot at Jeffrey Donovan from the moving car may have been the coolest scene I've seen on TV in the past ten years. Not only was it a great twist on something that's been done a million times but there is something about seeing a beautiful woman hanging out of a car window and firing a gun that really, shall we say, gets my attention.

After watching Sharon Gless play a total psycho on Nip/Tuck it's nice to see her in a role that's a little more fun. Gless is a perfect example of how the supporting cast is so important to this show. Jeffrey Donovan is certainly the star but without his three cast members, the show would be nothing.

Personally, I hope the relationship between Michael and Carla lasts throughout the season. It's nice to see him trying to serve a new master while still trying to serve himself. It kind of reminds me of the later seasons of The A Team when Hannibal and the boys were exonerated and had to take orders from Robert Vaughn.

I don't know what it is about listening to Michael describe the best way to do something illicit or illegal but I find it fascinating. I think it has something to do with the fact that he takes the mundane facts behind things like architecture and automotive design and uses them to show me how to be a badass.

Just when I think the show can't get any cooler, Michael pulls out what can only be described as a BFG (Big F-ing Gun). I know next to nothing about weapons but I'd like to believe that if a gun like that does exist, it's extremely hard to get your hands on.

I loved the last scene between Fi and Michael. All last season, I had a hard time believing that Fiona's feelings for Michael weren't mutual and now it's not only clear how he feels about her but also why their relationship is so twisted.

Will we find out who burned Michael this season?
Yes163 (42.7%)
No219 (57.3%)

Lorie

Now that Carla has her hooks on Michael, I hope this doesn't mean he stops helping the little people who need his help.

July 15 2008 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen H in NC

I love this program and have since the first episode. Season 1 is out on DVD now BTW.

I thought at first the accent was Aussie, but then the conversation pointed to South African. All of Michael's accents are a little over the top, but that is all part of the charm of the show. I look forward to seeing more Bo Duke hood sliding too!

July 15 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomstick

yeah I think that was supposed to be a South African accent. And I think it was pretty good. (I've only ever met two South Africans)

@Nuski
I have to agree with you. The story arc of him finding out who burned him and why just fizzled with the new master twist.

Is this going the same route as Charlie's Angels? A disembodied voice over a speaker phone? Yeah I know we saw Carla, but it was kind of in the same vein as when the Angels always missed a passing Charlie as he paid for the lunch they just ate or held the door open for them as they got into the cab that he just got out of. Seems like a poor gimmick.

July 14 2008 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

it was a GREAT season premier!!!! i LOVE these show, and love the fact that tricia will be a part of it!!!

July 13 2008 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

I said all last season and I continue to say that it's his father who burned him. It's just too obvious that the father is involved somehow and I think his mother knows a LOT more then she lets on ...

July 13 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

To my ear, it started out Aussie, but then turned more Cockney. Sounded like he just got it wrong. I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt regarding Tricias character. The show was so damn good in the first season, I can't believe they'd screw with that chemistry. It's kind of disturbing seeing her with a broad smile and not looking all sexy/menacing all the time.

July 12 2008 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ric Kaysen's comment
Piper

I believe that it wasn't British or Australian, it was Afrikaans, the language of the settlers from Northwest Europe in the 17th Century.

July 12 2008 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Piper you might be right. It sounded like Aussie to me, but he was a character who needed control of African mines -

July 12 2008 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

If that was meant to be an Aus accent, then that's worse!

July 12 2008 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brainfish's comment
nattyff

south african!!! diamonds!!! c'mon!!! :)

July 13 2008 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

It was an aussie accent and it was surprisingly good. I just wish they'd allow Gabrielle to use her own as opposed to the American one. I wasn't crazy about this ep. I loved the autonomy Michael had last season, but this season he has less focus and still isn't any closer to figuring out why this group burned him.

Regarding Michael and Fiona, I always thought Michael avoided getting close to her because of her violent tendencies and occasional under the board activities. So, I'm a bit confused by the 'she remains distant from him because he views her as an asset' spin for this season.

July 11 2008 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

I know how they can make this show better. Do not under any circumstances allow Jeffrey Donovan to attempt an English accent ever again. Ever. Ever.

LMFAO Worst English accent ever. Did I say ever? I mean worse than Dick Van Dyke FFS! LOLOLOLOLOL

I can't believe no one has commented on this. Is that really how English sounds to the US? (I'm Scottish btw)

Apart from that, so happy it's back and still as good :D

July 11 2008 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Brainfish's comment
KevinInChains

i think he was going for an Aussie accent in this episode.

July 11 2008 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

I'm chilean, and i had never live in another country, but if i'm not mistaken, that was a BRILLIANT south african accent...

July 13 2008 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Did anyone catch the closing comment, " you don't miss the scent of an asset when it leaves the room," as a nod the memorable tango scene from SCENT OF A WOMAN...which starred Gabrielle Anwar?

July 11 2008 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melissa's comment
DMD

Nice catch Melissa.. I loved Gabrielle in that movie.

July 11 2008 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply